• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Change in Requirement for Posting Items for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good idea but I would like to see it combined with a certain amount of postings (maybe 100 or so), which would set the bar even higher for a potential scammer. The few dollars to become a forum donor are easily spent, when your intention is to cheat someone by a four digit number of bucks.
I agree, that would give an extra layer of protection, plus if you were buying from someone you could just skim read a load of their prior posts to get an idea of the individual & if they are legit, etc.

prerich

Hello you all.

It seems that we continue to get reports of people getting scammed either privately or by listing gear for sale. We had a rule of having X number of posts before offering items for sale but a) this was not enforced through forum software (no easy way to do that) and b) wasn't enough of a barrier. The proper technical solution is to have an existing class of members that can post items for sale. We chose to make that the Forum Donors. No, we did not do this to make money. We are doing this because we have a level of trust with members who have supported the forum.

In addition to above, some of our special members (such as Technical Experts) have privilege to create threads/post items for sale.

Please note that we do NOT read or see your private messages. If you have doubt and issues with people approaching you in private, please report their messages and then we can take action.

Appreciate your understanding as we work through a proper way to manage this service to membership.
Great policy!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Is that all it takes to earn the Forum Donor badge, $20? Not much of a deterrent for would-be scammers, methinks.
$25.00 is the Minimum Donor Status level. The value here is one; the Scammer/Thief must part with his/her own money. Secondly; they leave a digital trail that can be provided to Law enforcement. We will never make it so no one can be taken advantage of. Adding the support of Moderators is already happening (to a limited degree). We do take a closer look at various aspects of a Sale and have multiple times sent PM messages to potential Buyers with various cautionary information. We do this when we have time. Just trying to find a compromise between being too restrictive and allowing Our Members to sell stuff to each other.

Hopefully this change will deter the majority of easy no touch scams. If any member sees a for sale item that looks suspicious please report it to the mods and we will take a closer look. ;)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this leaves me in a quandry. I have some new-in-box Revel towers that I was going to sell on ASR for $20.00 so I could make a forum donation. But I can't sell them until I make a donation. But I can't make a donation until I sell them.

This leave me no choice but to get in shape and sell my body on OnlyFans.
Suddenly, membership to OnlyFans has gone up since this post.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello you all.

It seems that we continue to get reports of people getting scammed either privately or by listing gear for sale. We had a rule of having X number of posts before offering items for sale but a) this was not enforced through forum software (no easy way to do that) and b) wasn't enough of a barrier. The proper technical solution is to have an existing class of members that can post items for sale. We chose to make that the Forum Donors. No, we did not do this to make money. We are doing this because we have a level of trust with members who have supported the forum.

In addition to above, some of our special members (such as Technical Experts) have privilege to create threads/post items for sale.

Please note that we do NOT read or see your private messages. If you have doubt and issues with people approaching you in private, please report their messages and then we can take action.

Appreciate your understanding as we work through a proper way to manage this service to membership.
Alternatively, as ASR was never designed to be a transactional platform, one can post on Ebay and then post that Ebay link here (same threshhold requirements apply). The buyer is protected because Ebay has some comprehensive buyer protections in place and any DM negotiations can be done on the Ebay platform which is used as evidence by Ebay if the buyer needs to be compensated due to fraud. Sure everything is more expensive going through Ebay, but that is the price of protection and I gladly pay it as a seller myself.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great policy to use the banking system to solve the issue for you.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, this leaves me in a quandry. I have some new-in-box Revel towers that I was going to sell on ASR for $20.00 so I could make a forum donation. But I can't sell them until I make a donation. But I can't make a donation until I sell them.

This leave me no choice but to get in shape and sell my body on OnlyFans.
Don't bother... They like all kinds on OF

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not sure about XenForo, but a method I've used in MyBB is the group promotion feature. After X number of posts a user gets promoted to a different group. You can then limit posting on a particular forum to that group (or above).
As I explained, it is the same hack proposed by Xenforo developers. They should implement this feature directly instead of kludging the system to do that.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having sold and purchased a few things here on ASR I'm glad the service will remain. I've been approached by scammers here too but they were pretty obvious, due diligence as always and let's continue to share our misfit toys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom