• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, the only challenge with offering more of the Hypex lineup is time and inventory. Another "kicking around in my head" idea come the new year is looking at being able to reasonable add to my line-up with at least the 100HF modules.

Not a fan of the HF100. It needs another special cable and has a different gain structure than the other MP series amps. The NC122 is a better option to scale down IMO. It would cover much more application space.

Hope it helps! A poll is a good suggestion, but would use for major change to gain more customers. The connector question is a small matter. You can only improve there and is not a game changer. :cool:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By "poll" I meant send an email to existing customers to poll their opinions, not a forum poll. It might be biased towards the existing design--after all, they liked it enough to purchase--but it would at least give him some idea of what people who are truly interested would prefer.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a facility for clipping indication in the modules. March Audio use it, the power LED flashes if clipping. There is also a current sensor that can be used to indicate power, with a bit of effort.
I (probably not the only one) would be willing to pay a bit more for the clipping indicator. (& an additional bit more for a couple of power indicators [so that a pair of bass channels at a time could be monitored]).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my gosh... Buckeye is selling amps at amazing rock bottom prices with awesome specs and people want to complain about the XLR orientation, no clipping lights and want the case taller? Why don't they go buy the $4400 NAD and let price minded individuals enjoy the Buckeye Nc502mp just the way it is. I have experienced decisions by committee before and they always screw everything up. If you don't like it pay more elsewhere. :p
I was thinking of these things as options, not the full production runs. As they do cost more. Let those that want them pay for them. Otherwise, anyone can have the amp without those options. As to the XLR orientation, we are all aware of the issue (or benefit): once you have the amp, you are familiar with the setup and how it works and (unless someone other than you [& whom you have not told the XLR difference to) is doing something involving moving the amp (or it's speaker connections), I don't see that as an issue. Perhaps others do.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow I did not notice this before! Indeed the current revision of the NC502MP and NC252MP have lower noise and a little more distortion, but the trade off is worth it imo.
In spec sheet conditions the NC502MP reaches THD+N 0.00085% SINAD 101 in 1kHz 5W 4 ohms... Crazy good! o_O
Even IM low frequency distortion lowered almost 10 dB!

Listing updated:
Replying to myself, come to think of it, NCore was already doing SINAD 101 by the time Amir tested the NC2K from Apollon. The difference now is a far more compact and affordable all-in-one module NC502MP although reducing max power from 2kW to "only" 600 W. Again, killer deal.

Walter

I was thinking of these things as options, not the full production runs. As they do cost more. Let those that want them pay for them. Otherwise, anyone can have the amp without those options. As to the XLR orientation, we are all aware of the issue (or benefit): once you have the amp, you are familiar with the setup and how it works and (unless someone other than you [& whom you have not told the XLR difference to) is doing something involving moving the amp (or it's speaker connections), I don't see that as an issue. Perhaps others do.
Yep. After all, the person removing them will most likely be the same one who plugged them in. I realize there will be people with multiple balanced systems who might forget that this amp was reversed, and even some like Amir who are fiddling with XLR plugs a lot, but I think they will be in the minority.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Interesting. It was officially endorsed, and actually was how it was used by the late Sigfried Linkwitz.

What concern do you have with it?

I believe he was most recently using ASP.4 which he designed and claimed it was more transparent than Mini DSP. I hope companies like Topping will get involved with DSP crossovers/room correction etc.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is getting to be a DEEP case. 13" deep is getting to be nearly too deep for most traditional tv stands you can buy AND that look nice (Not cheap ones you can get at walmart). Width isn't as much of an issue, but depth is.
On the other hand, this amp runs cool enough that you can stack other components on it. I am always annoyed by devices with insufficient depth to provide footing for something on tope of it. With my B&K amps, one would never do that--those vents on the top release the air that is being heated by the heatsinks. But that's an advantage to Class D efficiency.

Rick "whose stack is going to be a lot roomier" Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding offering an 8ch NC502: that is one of my "ideas kicking around in my head" for the new year.

As mentioned, the VTV case is very deep to accommodate this setup. And as pointed out, most TV stands would have a hard time accommodating such depth without it sticking out the back considerably.

My thought would be a wider case but that would put it 20-22" wide for proper spacing. Again, going to look into options since it has been asked by customers throughout the year.
Make it tall and mount the cards on on edge?

Rick "don't violate the Immutable Law: audio equipment Shall Not be wider than rack width" Denney

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe he was most recently using ASP.4 which he designed and claimed it was more transparent than Mini DSP. I hope companies like Topping will get involved with DSP crossovers/room correction etc.

Link below talks through supposed audible differences between the 4x10HD, ASP.4 and Hypex DSP LX521 implementations. I am a bit skeptical of the differences but SL does claim that the ASP.4 was the most revealing.

Michael

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I (probably not the only one) would be willing to pay a bit more for the clipping indicator. (& an additional bit more for a couple of power indicators [so that a pair of bass channels at a time could be monitored]).
I intend to implement my own clipping indicator--it's a feature of the module and the implementation should be really simple.

Rick "hasn't yet explored the details of that" Denney

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I intend to implement my own clipping indicator--it's a feature of the module and the implementation should be really simple.

Rick "hasn't yet explored the details of that" Denney
When you figure it out please let us know-I'd love that feature.

JRS

Major Contributor
Wow! For a pair of active DIY 3 way speakers, this is quite a deal for the power end of things. Cheers Amir and Buckeye!
Yep, I just tossed the Monoprice 6 x 150 from further consideration. Be great to see a couple of the self-proclaimed internet experts audition the unit. Efforts and pricing such as these deserve to succeed.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Link below talks through supposed audible differences between the 4x10HD, ASP.4 and Hypex DSP LX521 implementations. I am a bit skeptical of the differences but SL does claim that the ASP.4 was the most revealing.

Michael
Bottom line is multiple conversions and transcodings etc. degrades the original.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you figure it out please let us know-I'd love that feature.

It is pretty simple. Going to be doing for Adam's amp after Amir is done.

The signal is open collector and so just needs a Vaux positive power connection to an LED with a drop resistor.

The trickiest aspect is the adding a pin to the IDC connector to tap the signal.:cool:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottom line is multiple conversions and transcodings etc. degrades the original.

Do not want to take this too far off topic but there are plenty of alternatives to miniDSP for LX521 applications using a RPi4 running CamillaDSP and either a high quality linux compatible multichannel DAC (MOTU Ultralite Mk5, Okto DAC8 pro) or a miniDSP U-DIO8 with multiple stereo DACs. I've confirmed that IIR implementation in CamillaDSP exactly matches miniDSP (at least for LXmini and LX521 filters).

Feel free to PM me if you would like to know more.

Michael

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I agree with a few an idea on here. A clipping indicator LED would be awesome. Flipping the XLR connectors is nothing to me. Real men use RCA connectors. The next question on this site should be a poll on how many real men post on here, or put another way, a poll on which connections you use, RCA or XLR.

The question could be like this:

Are you a real man and use RCA connections? yes/no

Do you not care about your manhood and use XLR. yes/no

That is about the most unbiased way to find the answer. As you can tell I'm very good at polling questions and getting the truth from those that are polled!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I agree with a few an idea on here. A clipping indicator LED would be awesome. Flipping the XLR connectors is nothing to me. Real men use RCA connectors. The next question on this site should be a poll on how many real men post on here, or put another way, a poll on which connections you use, RCA or XLR.

The question could be like this:

Are you a real man and use RCA connections? yes/no

Do you not care about your manhood and use XLR. yes/no

That is about the most unbiased way to find the answer. As you can tell I'm very good at polling questions and getting the truth from those that are polled!
And really manly men use BNC connectors. :cool:

BNC_connector_50_ohm_male.jpg

Jdunk54nl

Or Mini XLR connectors...save size and get noise benefits!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Hey, what ever happened to the lowly BNC connector? I have not seen one in a long time other than O'scopes.

Top Bottom