• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8 Channel amp: Buckeye vs VTV vs Monoprice

exm

I am looking for a new amplifier to drive my 8 (currently 6) Kef R8 Meta speakers, with amplifier recommendation of 25 - 150W @ 4 ohm.

Here are the 3 main candidates:
Buckeye Hypex NC252MP 8-Channel, $1595 MSRP, 150 watts @ 8 ohm/ 250 watts @ 4 ohm, 1 year warranty
VTV AMPLIFIER Eight Channel Hypex NC252MP NCore Amplifier 250Wx8, $1919 MSRP, 250 watts @ 4 ohm, 2 years warranty
Monolith by Monoprice M8125x NC252MP. $1999 MSRP, 100W @ 8 ohm (All Channels Driven), 175 watts @ 4 ohm, 5 years warranty

My first question is why does Monolith rate their output lower using the same Hypex chip?

Second, based on the above the Buckeye is the clear winner priced 25% below the VTV/Monolith amplifier. Are there any measurements of these amps taken to look into performance of them?

Descartes

Major Contributor
I am looking for a new amplifier to drive my 8 (currently 6) Kef R8 Meta speakers, with amplifier recommendation of 25 - 150W @ 4 ohm.

Buckeye Hypex NC252MP 8-Channel, $1595 MSRP, 150 watts @ 8 ohm/ 250 watts @ 4 ohm, 1 year warranty
VTV AMPLIFIER Eight Channel Hypex NC252MP NCore Amplifier 250Wx8, $1919 MSRP, 250 watts @ 4 ohm, 2 years warranty
Monolith by Monoprice M8125x NC252MP. $1999 MSRP, 100W @ 8 ohm (All Channels Driven), 175 watts @ 4 ohm, 5 years warranty

My first question is why does Monolith rate their output lower using the same Hypex chip?

Second, based on the above the Buckeye is the clear winner priced 25% below the VTV/Monolith amplifier. Are there any measurements of these amps taken to look into performance of them?
The Buckeye looks cheaply made!

welwynnick

Forum Donor

The Monoprice specs are at full bandwidth and at rated distortion.
The other specs are at 1kHz and 1% THD, which Monoprice also quote.
The modules are all the same and the performance will be very similar.
Sometimes different amplifiers have different otuput due to different power supplies, but not in this case, as they're integrated.
There are tests of the Buckeye amplifiers here:

Nick

OP
exm

exm

I ended up getting the Nord amp. Yes, I understand that the internals are the same but for a few extra dollars, I have a very nice looking case from a reputable company. I wish Buckeye Amp has a different case option for a surplus although I understand that doesn't fit his business model.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
I own two different Buckeye Hypex amplifiers and they are amazing performers. The cases are just black. They look great, but aren't fancy. That is one way to keep the cost down.

Dundas

Forum Donor
I ended up getting the Nord amp. Yes, I understand that the internals are the same but for a few extra dollars, I have a very nice looking case from a reputable company. I wish Buckeye Amp has a different case option for a surplus although I understand that doesn't fit his business model.
Nord has an 8-channel Hypex NC252MP amp? I don't see it on their website.

Last edited:
OP
exm

exm

I own two different Buckeye Hypex amplifiers and they are amazing performers. The cases are just black. They look great, but aren't fancy. That is one way to keep the cost down.

I understand, and I fully realize they'll sound and measure identical. However, build quality is worth a bit extra for me. I mean, the amp I was looking at is almost $1,600 at Buckeye. That's a bargain for what you're getting, but still a lot of money to spend. So to me, the extra 15% extra is worth it.

OP
exm

exm

Nord's optional trigger cable is £50.00 (US$63.75) when you order it with an amplifier!?
$5.49 at Amazon

As far as I know, it's not the trigger cable but the trigger option in the amplifier itself. My 8-channel unit came with bot the trigger in/output and cable - FYI.

Dundas

Forum Donor
Ah, I misread that. They say "12V Trigger Stereo Inc trigger cable" . Would be clearer if they spelled out including.

Last edited:

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Have three buckeyes now, all perfect with quick answers to any questions, I’ll buy more for other rooms over time

Top Bottom