• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wonderful amp, wonderful review. I am the lucky owner of a Buckeye NC252MP x 2 well over one year old, used daily with a Benchmark DAC3 DX driving it over a set of ProAc Tablette 25th anniversary (+ REL SW). Flawless performance so far, excellent enjoyment of Music. Highly recommended brand. Once you get used to it, the release button of the XLR at 180 deg has the advantage to be easier to push when bulkier speaker cables are mounted in place.

MrOtto

Is NC502MP two bridged NC252MP on one card?
From NC252MP specs sheet showing BTL mode, similar performance?
1635486617408.png

bigguyca

@amirm

Hi Amir,

This type of measurement does not seem to be in this review. Any chance the measurements could still be performed?

index.php

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Isn't it this plot in the OP? Not sure the measurement bandwidth used...

index.php

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't it this plot in the OP? Not sure the measurement bandwidth used...
I think he is asking for the frequency dependent graph one, not just a single frequency like the one you posted.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I think he is asking for the frequency dependent graph one, not just a single frequency like the one you posted.
Ah, missed that, sorry.

Back to work...

RHG55

If one is willing to buy used, you can get a used M27 for $2200-$2700. At at that price it is a great value for what you get. I have an M27 but also a Buckeye 8 channel NC252 as well.
Yes, I forgot to mentioned in my post that my M27 was a demo model, which I bought from the store for around $2000. In retrospect, a great deal. Nevertheless, the point that the newer model M28 costs almost 3 times as much as the Buckeye 6 channel is well taken.

Jbrunwa

Maybe the situation is different in the US, but here in Norway most 16 A breakers will trip electromechanically (pretty much instantly) at either roughly 80 A or 160 A depending on breaker «characteristic». Several SMPS powered devices on the same breaker (e.g. several powerful computers) will easily trip them in practice.
I just measured my Buckeye 6 channel NC502MP amp with a line splitter, Fluke i410 clamp and 179 DMM and it draws 0.6 A. Same for the second one. Raising the volume to ear splitting levels with 5 channels driven it measured 0.6 A, I guess as it is more efficient at higher volume. My entire HT including XMC-2, Q90T, 2 Buckeye 6 channel amps with 10 channels used, Rythmik FV18 (also Hypex) draws 4A.

Qbd

I just measured my Buckeye 6 channel NC502MP amp with a line splitter, Fluke i410 clamp and 179 DMM and it draws 0.6 A.
I was thinking of inrush current, i.e. the instantaneous (lasting maybe only a few milliseconds) current drawn when the appliance is connected to power. It usually has to have been disconnected from power for a while first to get a really high inrush.

For the NC502MP module it’s rated at 55 A max, so for three modules like in this amp I guess it could be as high as 55x3=165 A, though probably a bit lower in practice.

In my rack with probably 10+ SMPS devices (both computers and audio amps), I absolutely need a power distribution unit with delayed start on several outputs, or it would be impossible to get the breaker to stay on after e.g. a power outage.

Jbrunwa

I was thinking of inrush current, i.e. the instantaneous (lasting maybe only a few milliseconds) current drawn when the appliance is connected to power. It usually has to have been disconnected from power for a while first to get a really high inrush.

For the NC502MP module it’s rated at 55 A max, so for three modules like in this amp I guess it could be as high as 55x3=165 A, though probably a bit lower in practice.

In my rack with probably 10+ SMPS devices (both computers and audio amps), I absolutely need a power distribution unit with delayed start on several outputs, or it would be impossible to get the breaker to stay on after e.g. a power outage.
Ok. YMMV. I have one dedicated 15A circuit for the HT. I have never had a breaker trip, even before the Buckeyes when I was using the B&K 200.5, and even when powering on after a 5 month absence.

amper42

Major Contributor
Well made audio gear built today that can consume high energy levels (like big A/B amps) have a soft start mechanism. Any fear that all of the electronics are going to turn on full blast is a myth. I have an old Adcom amp that draws 330W on turn on but quickly reduces to 50W while in use. My Monolith 7X200 has soft start circuitry built-in which keeps the speakers away from a thump on turn on and the power draw is not elevated at power up.

I'm replacing my Adcom with the NC502MP for this very reason. If I had gear that drew huge power amounts at turn on I would certainly retire it.

TunaBug

Forum Donor
Well made audio gear built today that can consume high energy levels (like big A/B amps) have a soft start mechanism. Any fear that all of the electronics are going to turn on full blast is a myth. I have an old Adcom amp that draws 330W on turn on but quickly reduces to 50W while in use. My Monolith 7X200 has soft start circuitry built-in which keeps the speakers away from a thump on turn on and the power draw is not elevated at power up.

I'm replacing my Adcom with the NC502MP for this very reason. If I had gear that drew huge power amounts at turn on I would certainly retire it.

I'm also thinking of an NC502MP to replace an Adcom. However, my Adcom GFA-555's power switch has welded itself closed because of the inrush, and I stopped replacing that switch in the early 90s. It doesn't dim the lights when I turn it on for the simple reason that it cannot be turned off.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Did she hear you from the other room?
Yes, while she was doing dishes and laundry. Same as last time. No matter what I do she first says "oh, that sounds so good, what a difference!" But, I have not done anything. This time she walked in and read over my shoulder and saw Adams remark and BAM! the throat punch delivered with NO hesitation. Then she walked away leaving me with "Don't do that again"! Well, I couldn't breath for about two minutes and then I squeaked like a dog toy until my throat opened up again. I don't know what Adam did to get her as an enforcer but my gosh, she is a walking WAR CRIME!!!

Of course she is not here right now so I can post this. I'm a real man, I say things when she is not here!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My dog immediately recognized the crystal clear ultrasonics when i plugged my 252 MP in...by howling in agony.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Yes, while she was doing dishes and laundry. Same as last time. No matter what I do she first says "oh, that sounds so good, what a difference!" But, I have not done anything. This time she walked in and read over my shoulder and saw Adams remark and BAM! the throat punch delivered with NO hesitation. Then she walked away leaving me with "Don't do that again"! Well, I couldn't breath for about two minutes and then I squeaked like a dog toy until my throat opened up again. I don't know what Adam did to get her as an enforcer but my gosh, she is a walking WAR CRIME!!!

Of course she is not here right now so I can post this. I'm a real man, I say things when she is not here!
I believe sir, that your humor has made a great inroads towards absolving you of you sins, and I for one have it in my heart to forgive you. In truth, as long as your sense of humor continues to stay in play and your larynx remains unfettered by the spontaneity of forcefully applied feminine rage, I’m willing to allow you further transgressions.

You can always tell when I’m immersed in a Patrick O’Brian novel.

squared80

I am in the process of off-loading the internal amps on a Denon 8500h to these two amps. In the final configuration 9.2.6 setup. The Buckeye 502’s will drive the base 9 speakers that are all tower speakers and the front height that are center size speakers. The remaining 2 sets of height speakers (middle & rear heights) will remain driven by the Denon. At least that’s the plan. ;)

But the 8500 can only do 13 channels, not 15... ?

Oh my gosh... Buckeye is selling amps at amazing rock bottom prices with awesome specs and people want to complain about the XLR orientation, no clipping lights and want the case taller? Why don't they go buy the $4400 NAD and let price minded individuals enjoy the Buckeye Nc502mp just the way it is. I have experienced decisions by committee before and they always screw everything up. If you don't like it pay more elsewhere. :p

Is there something wrong with constructive feedback? Don't be so soft. I'm sure Buckeye appreciates it, for better or worse.

Regarding offering an 8ch NC502: that is one of my "ideas kicking around in my head" for the new year.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
But the 8500 can only do 13 channels, not 15... ?
Agreed. However it can do 13 channels in Atmos, then 13 channels in DTS-X, and then a different set for Aruo. It’s complicated but it can only output 13.2 channels at any given moment. But by switching Codex it can drive say 6 overheads versus 4 overheads and a front wide.

You can read more about the speaker layout options in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-denon-avr-x8500h-13-2ch-flagship-avr-thread.2952552/

Top Bottom