• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, what ever happened to the lowly BNC connector? I have not seen one in a long time other than O'scopes.
BNC is an impedance control connector used in high frequency signal transfer. Its not required for audio, which is low frequency.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or switch to 1/4 inch TRS and listen to people scream about all the XLR cables they already own, as they did on the Topping DAC threads.

Real men don't whine about cable connectors. ;)

(Only joking, so please don't anyone take that comment as an attack.)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Or switch to 1/4 inch TRS and listen to people scream about all the XLR cables they already own, as they did on the Topping DAC threads.

Real men don't whine about cable connectors. ;)

(Only joking, so please don't anyone take that comment as an attack.)
Touché!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, what ever happened to the lowly BNC connector? I have not seen one in a long time other than O'scopes.
Are you sure it isn’t an N connector you saw on the scopes? They are similar to BNC connectors except larger.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure it isn’t an N connector you saw on the scopes? They are similar to BNC connectors except larger.
I have never seen an N connector on a scope. Why would you use a connector whose purpose is to carry more current and/or weatherproof, on a scope?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never seen an N connector on a scope. Why would you use a connector whose purpose is to carry more current, on scope?
I think you might be confusing BNC and N connectors. Both were common on oscilloscopes and look similar to each other.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thread notice: This is an official Product Review Thread. Let’s keep this conversation rooted in the product reviewed. Please and thank you!

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Adam, I am properly punished. My wife read this and quickly throat punched me and walked away saying "Don't do that again". When I could breath again, I tended to agree with her. I don't want another throat punch again!

amper42

Major Contributor
Wow I did not notice this before! Indeed the current revision of the NC502MP and NC252MP have lower noise and a little more distortion, but the trade off is worth it imo.
In spec sheet conditions the NC502MP reaches THD+N 0.00085% SINAD 101 in 1kHz 5W 4 ohms... Crazy good! o_O
Even IM low frequency distortion lowered almost 10 dB!

Listing updated:

Look at the Power/Price ratio of the NC502MP in the "Amplifier SINAD List". When you compare the NC502MP entry to each amplifier higher up on the list it's a significant value/performance winner! You could purchase FIVE NC502MP stereo amps from Buckeye for the cost of a SINGLE Benchmark AHB2. Does the AHB2 sound 5x better or even twice as good? I would certainly like to try that comparison. :D

NC502MP.png

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is pretty simple. Going to be doing for Adam's amp after Amir is done.

The signal is open collector and so just needs a Vaux positive power connection to an LED with a drop resistor.

The trickiest aspect is the adding a pin to the IDC connector to tap the signal.:cool:
Yes. Looking at the documentation, Hypex provides a connection point that isn't connected to anything (that's what Rick means by "open collector output" unless there is a clipping situation, at which point that connection is switched to ground. When it is switched to ground, it will pull voltage through an LED and resistor combination.

So, Vaux output (J6.1) gets wired to the anode (longer leg) of an LED, then from the shorter leg to a 2K-Ohm resister, and then to J4.5 (for Ch 1) or J4.12 (for Ch 2). Vaux is at 19 volts max, and a 2K resistor will pull 10 mA through the LED. I think most standard LED's would be fine with that, but a higher resistor will pull less current, so that can be tailored. I see a zillion T-1 (3mm round hole) LED's at Mouser for under a buck. I probably already have some in my parts bin.

I'm thinking a single wire from Vaux to Ch1 LED anode, and from there to Ch2 LED anode, and then wire the tails through resistors to the clip signal pins via separate wires.

Rick "looking for validation from those who can, and then providing detail for those who can't" Denney

TheHighContemplator

Yep, I just tossed the Monoprice 6 x 150 from further consideration. Be great to see a couple of the self-proclaimed internet experts audition the unit. Efforts and pricing such as these deserve to succeed.
Nice. What are you planning on powering?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adam, I am properly punished. My wife read this and quickly throat punched me and walked away saying "Don't do that again". When I could breath again, I tended to agree with her. I don't want another throat punch again!
Did she hear you from the other room?

Peafowl

Yes. Looking at the documentation, Hypex provides a connection point that isn't connected to anything (that's what Rick means by "open collector output" unless there is a clipping situation, at which point that connection is switched to ground. When it is switched to ground, it will pull voltage through an LED and resistor combination.

So, Vaux output (J6.1) gets wired to the anode (longer leg) of an LED, then from the shorter leg to a 2K-Ohm resister, and then to J4.5 (for Ch 1) or J4.12 (for Ch 2). Vaux is at 19 volts max, and a 2K resistor will pull 10 mA through the LED. I think most standard LED's would be fine with that, but a higher resistor will pull less current, so that can be tailored. I see a zillion T-1 (3mm round hole) LED's at Mouser for under a buck. I probably already have some in my parts bin.

I'm thinking a single wire from Vaux to Ch1 LED anode, and from there to Ch2 LED anode, and then wire the tails through resistors to the clip signal pins via separate wires.

Rick "looking for validation from those who can, and then providing detail for those who can't" Denney
Hi, maybe that's what some are looking for. But the Company is UK based.
It provides the clipping LED

KJF Audio - MA-01 Flexible amplifier

Top Bottom