• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 48726

I used the cardboard box it came in as the case for my TPA3116 amp in my office for a couple of years, in plain view. Kept meaning to drill holes a wooden box I'd bought for almost nothing, but never got around to it. I did eventually upgrade the appearance--I replaced the wicker chair I was using as a stand with a side table.
You're a filthy hobo..:p

Multicore

Major Contributor
For some reason I’ve come to enjoy the comments against the looks of our amps during these reviews :D
I know. My antiaudiophilliac heart swells with pride on every putdown.

It's like they are confirmations of my belonging in a peer group that defines itself in opposition to the expensive visual memes of HiFi industrial design.

AdrianusG

At this point how much is there to be said about these class D module amps? It's certainly an amplifier :)
Hi,

Does Buckeye only create Balanced designs?, every amp so far tested (here) and on their own website only shows balanced inputs, no RCA's.
My pre-amp is single ended only, so for me they have no use this way.

alvigg

I have an 8 channel version for all speakers except the 3 fronts and just use reasonable priced RCA to balanced adapters. That plus the 3 channel purifier for the fronts is serving me well (also with adapters).

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
All about looks (yes,I know it's me who's talking :cool: ) but none gave a satisfactory answer about it's inability to meet it's stated by Buckeye specs.
Anyone cares to elaborate?

I don't think failing Amir's 2 ohm test equals to not meeting the stated specs.

Buckeye's watt specs is copied from Hypex, which state:
1KHz, THD=1%, All channels driven. Per channel. 180W @ 2ohm.

They also note:
The stimulus signal is a continuous 1 kHz sine wave. The true rms output voltage is measured across a load resistor. Max output power is time limited due to thermal properties.

and

Current limited.

I haven't seen any particular reason to doubt these specs.

Sokel

Master Contributor

That's exactly what it means.
If it fails at the momentary 1Khz 0° purely resistive 2 ohm test what will happen with speakers that maybe ask for more?And aside that,no result returned.
And no,practice with any speaker will not show that.

About the 20Hz anomaly:
Isn't it logical to assume that with music who has context down there (some have) the performance will not follow the nice 1Khz curve but it will be forced to follow th 20Hz one (as the PSU will struggle if Amir is right in comment that that's the reason).

Additionally,copying the specs should mean that they also copied the exact conditions under which that specs has resulted.
Which is what?On a heatshink?At open air?Active cooled?

Don't get me wrong,Dylan is one of the nicest guys here,does his job the best he can but some things has to be presented as a whole new product regardless the module slapped in it.

D

Deleted member 48726

They also note:
The stimulus signal is a continuous 1 kHz sine wave. The true rms output voltage is measured across a load resistor. Max output power is time limited due to thermal properties.

and

Current limited.

I haven't seen any particular reason to doubt these specs.
*Ahem, it goes into protection with 2 ohm resistive load. That's not meeting the specs.

1695905505022.png

daniboun

Major Contributor
I should've guessed! I often look at their site for complete amps, but it didn't occur to me to look for cases. Do you happen to know who actually makes them?

Contrary to what you were told, it does not come from HIFI2000. This case comes from China but well made )

Left

When was the last time gain mismatch was studied? How much is too much? And can mismatch be corrected via something like a minidsp?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
*Ahem, it goes into protection with 2 ohm resistive load. That's not meeting the specs.

View attachment 315320

"before it reaches peak power" according to Amir, it doesn't just die the second you connect a 2ohm load. And Hypex states that it is current limited. So perhaps the amp goes deliberately into protect when it's unable to pump out higher current?

What kind of power does it put out before going into protection?

These things are usually a little more complicated than a binary "can handle 2 ohm" vs "cannot handle 2 ohm".

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 315320
Given the Hypex spec is 180 W @ 2 ohms, the max rated power @ 2 ohms will be reached with an input voltage of 1 Vms. Without knowing exactly how the AP analyzer with the Active Loadbox sets/adjusts the test signal voltage to the amplifier during the test, it could have been a case of over-driving the amplifier.

D

Deleted member 48726

"before it reaches peak power" according to Amir, it doesn't just die the second you connect a 2ohm load. And Hypex states that it is current limited. So perhaps the amp goes deliberately into protect when it's unable to pump out higher current?

What kind of power does it put out before going into protection?

These things are usually a little more complicated than a binary "can handle 2 ohm" vs "cannot handle 2 ohm".
All I know is that it appears to not be able to make power into 2 ohm resistive loads in the test. Maybe amir has more info than what is posted in the review.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding the 2ohm resistive load test, it should be pointed out that another NC252MP (not ours) failed it as well previously.
Not shifting the blame or brushing it off. But more so lending credence to those who have suggested there may be a difference between the conditions when Hypex specs the 2ohm performance vs. Amir’s test.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Given the Hypex spec is 180 W @ 2 ohms, the max rated power @ 2 ohms will be reached with an input voltage of 1 Vms. Without knowing exactly how the AP analyzer with the Active Loadbox sets/adjusts the test signal voltage to the amplifier during the test, it could have been a case of over-driving the amplifier.

It could also have been a thermal shutdown.

Top Bottom