• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Our 2ch Hypex NCx500 amplifier will be on display at the Audio Envy booth (Room 1407) during the Southwest Audio Fest in Dallas, TX (March 15-17). We will be offering a $25 discount towards the purchase of a 2ch NCx500 amplifier to anyone who takes a picture at the booth and emails us at the time of their order.

Heyu

I just made reservations just now to attend with my family and works out because it's spring break week, my birthday on March 11 and checking in on Thursday and out on Saturday. Everything happens in one place.

gby

Dylan,

I got my 3 channel amp a couple of days ago thank you very much.

With no input signals and no speakers or loads connected I plugged it into an ac line Watt measurement device to see what the various off/idle power levels were. I measured the following results:

On............................38 W
12V trigger Off........21 W
Auto/Idle...................21 W

21 W while "off"/not doing anything seems a bit high. Is this normal for the NCx500 modules and/or the 2000 W power supply?

If you never play music the above comes to 21*24*365 = 184 kW-hour which at $0.25/kW-hour cost of electricity in the Boston area comes to $46 per year just to have this device plugged in.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dylan,

With no input signals and no speakers or loads connected I plugged it into an ac line Watt measurement device to see what the various off/idle power levels were. I measured the following results:

21 W while "off"/not doing anything seems a bit high. Is this normal for the NCx500 modules and/or the 2000 W power supply?

If you never play music the above comes to 21*24*365 = 184 kW-hour which at $0.25/kW-hour cost of electricity in the Boston area comes to $46 per year just to have this device plugged in.

1. Yes, 21W for two NCx500 doing nothing and the PS while idle is not energy efficient...
2. If you want slightly better energy efficiency get the Purifi amp. It will take you down to 14.5W while idle and use less while active as well.
3. And if you don't turn the amp off when not in use I would consider the Boxem amps, which lower energy usage to approx. 0.5W after 10 minutes idle.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The power draw is not due to the NCx500 modules but the the power supply. With our input buffer board, originally designed using the Hypex SMPS1200 series for Purifi builds, we did not have a proper design/pinout in place to handle the Micro Audio SMPS Standby feature.

As some of our 2024 overall product improvements, we are going to be trialing a simple change to enable Standby control.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The power draw is not due to the NCx500 modules but the the power supply. With our input buffer board, originally designed using the Hypex SMPS1200 series for Purifi builds, we did not have a proper design/pinout in place to handle the Micro Audio SMPS Standby feature.

As some of our 2024 overall product improvements, we are going to be trialing a simple change to enable Standby control.

That is really a disappointment. Part of the draw was the auto on feature, now not so much. Is your "simple change" going to be something that can be retrofit?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It will be, yes. But no timeframe/ETA. It is part of something that will be tested and implemented as we slowly work on incorporating Micro Audio SMPS' to more of our products in place of many of the Hypex SMPS' options.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dylan,

Dylan already answered the amp power aspect but was pretty shocked by your rates. Am paying about $0.11 here.

Is that just the generation cost or something more?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dylan already answered the amp power aspect but was pretty shocked by your rates. Am paying about $0.11 here.

Rick,
Electric rates are going up in the USA. With Time of Use plans "Peak" Times (40% of each day) can reach as high as 25.85 to 36.2 cents per kWh during summer months. And those that have solar panels end up paying a rather large grid connection monthly fee. If you're only paying 11 cents per kWh all year that's a bargain. I would not expect that to last.

grobalt

Europe we had already above 50cent/kWh .. it settled a bit, but in average we are above 35cent/kWh in Germany

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Europe we had already above 50cent/kWh .. it settled a bit, but in average we are above 35cent/kWh in Germany

Thanks for sharing. Cost of living tends to be lower in my region of US. Actually, am currently at 10 cents but remembered 5.

Just to check, went back to 2022 and it was 5 cents/kWh. That is just a generation rate btw, we get charged for distribution separately.

gby

Rick, I live in the Boston, US area and my monthly electric bill cost divided by the kW-hour used all up/all included is right around $0.25 to $0.26 per kW-hour. For residential our area is flat rate/no time of day variation. So, not as bad as some folks but certainly more expensive that some areas in the US.

Last edited:

goryu

No reason people should need to worry about electricity costs when these amps are on standby. This should be fixed sooner rather than later.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing. Cost of living tends to be lower in my region of US. Actually, am currently at 10 cents but remembered 5.

Just to check, went back to 2022 and it was 5 cents/kWh. That is just a generation rate btw, we get charged for distribution separately.

For me, (located in France) it is 25 cents/kWh (generation, distribution and all taxes included).

thegeton

Forum Donor
My Feb 2024 bill from Port Orchard WA, USA (just across the Puget Sound from Seattle)

Feb2024PSEBill.jpg

You get nailed with that Tier 2 usage.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick, I live in the Boston, US area and my monthly electric bill cost divided by the kW-hour used all up/all included is right around $0.25 to $0.26 per kW-hour. For residential our area is flat rate/no time of day variation. So, not as bad as some folks but certainly more expensive that some areas in the US.

if I do that math for my March bill, am at $0.13/kWh.

p.s. did same math for last June and rate was same as my March bill

Last edited:

Heyu

I think I read somewhere Buckeye will implement Dirac. Is this true?

Top Bottom