• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A500 subjective review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the problem is the Olive score because I also agree the speaker does sound very much like it's measurements, people seem to have a problem that it was the highest scoring speaker that Amir didn't love but it's far from perfect as you noted.

The biggest challenge with EQ for the R3 is that 2700Hz peak that forms off-axis, because of that I can have a flat listening window with the peak in the ER curve or a dip in the LW and smooth ER curve, after much tweaking and listening comparisons I went with the dip in the LW because it sounds better to me, the 2700Hz peak sounds a bit harsh if left untouched. The early reflections should also perceptually fill in the dip in the LW so it's not really that bad. This before and after is a bit older but is the same idea, basically just make the LW neutral with a smooth ER curve per the Toole research:

View attachment 79757
Do you do this with a MiniDSP?

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're a candidate for the LG 48" CX OLED.
I can confirm, huge TV-as-monitor approach works fantastically for this (which is also how my Genelecs are set up). Mine is 48" as well, and you can easily push it back behind the depth of your speakers to prevent any audible issues, while filling more than enough visual field of view :) It's an amazing gaming experience, and is also super productive for work due to all the screen real-estate.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Granted, I haven't heard the woofer in the A500, but I do own the S400, and in my experience, the difference in sound quality between 30 Hz from the S400's and from my Rythmik subs is not significant other than quantity. There are small differences but it's much less than you'd think. Part of the reason could be that at that frequency we don't hear details in the same way as in the higher frequencies.
I want to add one more thing just to be clear. I don't hear big differences in the quality of 30 Hz tones between my Buchardt S400's and Rythmik subs, even though the distortion from the Rythmiks is dramatically lower - but that could be because my decay times become quite large around that frequency, as they are in most small rooms:

Buchardt S400 + Audyssey Waterfall.png

With subs:

Rythmik G22 Pair + Buchardt S400 + Audyssey Waterfall 3.png

Therefore, an argument could be made that it's hard to pick out the signal from the noise there. Coupled with decreased hearing sensitivity and there you have it.

OP
Instar

Instar

I want to add one more thing just to be clear. I don't hear big differences in the quality of 30 Hz tones between my Buchardt S400's and Rythmik subs, even though the distortion from the Rythmiks is dramatically lower - but that could be because my decay times become quite large around that frequency, as they are in most small rooms:

View attachment 80248

With subs:

View attachment 80249

Therefore, an argument could be made that it's hard to pick out the signal from the noise there. Coupled with decreased hearing sensitivity and there you have it.

Buchardt S400 bookshelf speaker Distortion THD Audio Measurements.png

Buchardt S400 bookshelf speaker Distortion Percent THD Audio Measurements.png

캡처.JPG

As written in the text, there is a difference that people feel in the low frequency band. However, the A500 shows a distortion rate of 36% at 28hz frequency based on 80db volume. This is clearly a lot higher than the distortion of other speakers.

In addition, S400 is a passive speaker, and it is a speaker that basically has a frequency of 30hz on an in-room basis. However, the A500 is a bass that forcibly raises +10db or more with dsp eq around 25hz. The fact that it was forcibly lifted means that there is a side effect, although you can hear the sound around it. Depending on the person, it may be big enough.

In fact, when my acquaintances listened to the A500, the ratio of those who experienced low-frequency distortion and those who did not feel it was 5:5.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just read the following link, and I have to say I am really liking the software design of the Buchardt A500: https://www.buchardtaudio.com/a500-detailed-description

The standard master tuning the speakers come with, is a 2.5 way design, tuned to 25hz straight with a variable bass tuning. This means, if you play at 100dB, you can't expect two 6” woofers to generate 25hz. The system will then smoothly set the bass tuning higher, so the woofers don’t break. We think this is the best overall tuning for most people.

This is a great idea! I love it.

What if you want something where deep bass is not important, but SPL is? Maybe you want to use subs with them? Same thing; download a different mastertuning that do just that.

Here, only your imagination is the limit. We are experimenting with Cardioid tuning, semi Cardioid tuning, optimized nearfield tunings for professional studio use and much more. Have any great ideas? Let us know. We wish to make the most flexible speaker in the world. A speaker that we can keep on improving, even long after its release.

It sounds to me that Buchardt has the ability to configure these speakers in multiple ways depending on what you want. It makes sense also that the default setting aims for the most bass extension it can for the current SPL, since even with some audible distortion this will be preferred by moat. But, if you want low distortion bass, I would imagine there is a profile where you can set a higher bass roll off in general accomplish that?

So while earlier I mentioned the Neumann KH310 exceeds the bass power and distortion of these for the same price, I’m actually not so sure because the Neumann doesn’t even attempt to reach down as low as 25hz.

For a bookshelf speaker to be able to accomplish this at all is impressive, and overall as a product it seems pretty appealing to me. Comparing to the Genelec 8351B is perhaps not fair since the Genelec costs 2x as much (at least here in the US), and as others have mentioned is going to be a really tough comparison for any other speaker given how good the Genelec is (best CEA2034 measurements in the world).

EEG

Please someone explain for those with less knowledges in speakers design!
How come such a small speaker(A500-3 way ) could have a sealed construction?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please someone explain for those with less knowledges in speakers design!
How come such a small speaker(A500-3 way ) could have a sealed construction?
I guess I don't understand the question. Sealed speakers are generally smaller. It's vented designs that need more internal volume.

jae

Major Contributor
You mentioned you were put off by the D&D 8C and Kii price but is the A500 + 8351B together not approaching or more cost than their cost?

OP
Instar

Instar

You mentioned you were put off by the D&D 8C and Kii price but is the A500 + 8351B together not approaching or more cost than their cost?

This will vary from country to country.
I live in Korea. In Korea, the kii three or D&D 8c are supplied through distributors at a much higher price than the retail price.
The reason I bought the Genelec 8351b is that it can be purchased at a price similar to the retail price in Korea, and vertical directivity is very important due to the nature of a small room, so I chose the 8351b.
In addition, the A500 is being returned.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grr, these speakers and also the A700 are tempting ... poor piggy box, speakers are the last component I intended to change in my system ...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 80255
View attachment 80256
View attachment 80257

As written in the text, there is a difference that people feel in the low frequency band. However, the A500 shows a distortion rate of 36% at 28hz frequency based on 80db volume. This is clearly a lot higher than the distortion of other speakers.

In addition, S400 is a passive speaker, and it is a speaker that basically has a frequency of 30hz on an in-room basis. However, the A500 is a bass that forcibly raises +10db or more with dsp eq around 25hz. The fact that it was forcibly lifted means that there is a side effect, although you can hear the sound around it. Depending on the person, it may be big enough.

In fact, when my acquaintances listened to the A500, the ratio of those who experienced low-frequency distortion and those who did not feel it was 5:5.
36% does sound like a lot. What does that translate into in terms of dB?

Audibility of distortion: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sinad-measurements.4071/post-298228

Below 50 Hz the curve gets pretty steep.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I've seen Mads say that these (S400/A500) work best at 2-3 meters because of the waveguide and driver distance. It's possible the sound just isn't converging for you sitting that close.

That's probably true, I had mine that close to each other and to me and I didn't like them one bit, so I separated them as far as possible of each other and me (I have a wide desktop) and things improved much!

asruser2020

John Darko review of the AS500. He goes over the features, connectivity, and sound.

Conclusion: "As we go forward, this loudspeaker will get better and better [due to DSP software updates], which is quite frankly astonishing. I think this is one of the best products I have ever reviewed, and I've been doing it ten years now."

Jindo15

John Darko review of the AS500. He goes over the features, connectivity, and sound.

Conclusion: "As we go forward, this loudspeaker will get better and better [due to DSP software updates], which is quite frankly astonishing. I think this is one of the best products I have ever reviewed, and I've been doing it ten years now."

Well, he said that the Klipsch RP-600M sounds really good as well. ;)

HifiFan

Darko just released his comparison with Kef LS50wII

His opinion:
  • A500 - better sounding, bigger sound, taller soundstage, for audio "power-users"
  • Kef LS50W - better value, slightly better upper mids, imaging, for those who can't afford A500, mom and pop who like simplicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom