• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purchase advice after Genelec 8341

widz

I know this isn't a factor for most but where I'm using Genelec professionally we have 30+ editing rooms, multiple audio track laying suites, surround sound mixing suite, and client review theatres, the ability to achieve a level of uniformity across the facility is extremely useful for client confidence.

Couple that with the genelec service life and parts availablity. AES signal inputs which are cleaner when bundled into multi cores then analogue and easier to de-embed from SDI or Dante.

In a home or small studio environment I get that some of that melts away in value. Where I can see the 80x0 having value is where you want SPL and or low end extension at a specific price point, especially if you have another room correction solution.

I cut my teeth on 1032a a long time ago in my first job (meter bridge with ns10 + 1032a, with quested hm415 far field) and just feel at home with the genelec sound. Appreciate many others have similar experiences with other brands. I'm pro Neumann & Dynaudio, but strangely struggled with PMC for no apparent reason.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
GLM 4.2 actually does boost dips though.
Can't see any boosts in my speakers/sub. Haven't read release notes for a while, maybe it needs to be enabled somehow?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you don't get that because of budget reasons, why even go Genelec route at all?
I feel like they charge a premium for DSP that is hard to justify in 2024 than when SAM was launched in 2012. Higher up the product stack it makes sense because speakers like the Ones monitors, W371A and 8381a are special. In the ‘tweeter over mid’ 8000 series 2.0 or 2.1 setup, GLM feels expensive for what it is as more competitors offer competing speakers.

BTW, the spin of the 8030c is straight up better than the 8330a.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like they charge a premium for DSP that is hard to justify in 2024 than when SAM was launched in 2012. Higher up the product stack it makes sense because speakers like the Ones monitors, W371A and 8381a are special. In the ‘tweeter over mid’ 8000 series 2.0 or 2.1 setup, GLM feels expensive for what it is as more competitors offer competing speakers.

BTW, the spin of the 8030c is straight up better than the 8330a.
They are charging more because the intended customers value the ease of use.

Weird about the 8330/8030. I wonder what happened with that one. 8030 has wide dip 2-4kHz where 8330 doesn't but has boost in 1,5-2kHz

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can't see any boosts in my speakers/sub. Haven't read release notes for a while, maybe it needs to be enabled somehow?
Here’s a recent calibration I did (boosted nulls circled):
IMG_0016.jpeg

It doesn’t boost excessively, to conserve headroom I suppose.

Top Bottom