• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary Edition Review

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Shallow crossover slopes? Sure looks it from this graphic.

Maybe. Looking at the vertical polar response graph, a couple of things jump out. The "suckout" at negative polar angle is just barely below the horizontal, which means that the main lobe points up toward the ceiling. Without doubt the two drivers are acoustically out of phase, because the two fronts become increasingly out of phase as the two respective distances (from the listening point to the tweeter vs. the listening point to the woofer) become more nearly equal. (Amir wrote that the reference angle was centered on the tweeter.)

I wish that I had a non-useless understanding of Klippel's Spin-O-Matic, but my guess is that in order for the upper and lower "eyes" in the vertical response to be located equidistant from the reference plane, the reference plane would need to be moved higher, above the tweeter, such that the reference plane will bisect the main lobe, which is evidently aimed up at the ceiling. I suppose you could turn these speakers upside down and then tilt them back a little. But with respect to Klippel, if the main lobe is tilted up or down as appears to be the case with this speaker, I don't understand how the reference point can be selected appropriately without consideration of the tilt of the main lobe, or without consideration of the distance from the speaker. If the main lobe is tilted, then if the lobe is aimed upward, you should need to move the reference point accordingly higher, depending on the distance from the speaker to the mic, shouldn't you? I mean it seems intuitive to me that if the lobe is aimed up toward the ceiling, that if you move the mic further from the speaker, you should have to set the reference point higher compared to where you would place it if the mic were closer to the speaker.

The other thing is that the eye below the horizontal extends over an unusually wide frequency range, from about 2 kHz to about 5 kHz. This of course means that on the horizontal plane hitting the tweeter, the two acoustic fronts are out of phase over this unusually wide range of frequency. Judging from the "Driver components near field", the crossover point is below 2 kHz, which means that the range of frequencies where the two acoustic fronts are essentially out of phase is entirely above the crossover point. I.e., the two wavefronts appear to be in phase at the crossover point but then become out of phase as frequency moves higher. Starting just slightly above the crossover point, the two fronts are out of phase and then remain out of phase for more than a full octave above the crossover point. My understanding is that with some (odd order) crossover topologies the two fronts are out by 90 degrees (in "quadrature"?), however if this is intentional and done intelligently, it ought not lead to a broad-in-frequency suck-out just a hair below the horizontal plane hitting the tweeter.

tktran303

Forum Donor
ATC,PMC and now B&W, our position as a world ‘power’ reflected by our loudspeaker manufacturers!
Keith

well ATC and B&W clearly had outstanding engineering chops, because 30-40 years ago they produced state of the art drive units, eg. ATC’s SM75-150S, B&W FST midranges, which are outstanding even by today’s standards...

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
That has to be one of the weirdest statements I have read in a review. o_O

B&W claims the golf ball dimples reduce port noise. So, if you view golf as a manly pursuit, it sorta makes sense. [shrug]

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Mythbusters showed that it reduces drag

Which begs the question, what is reason more companies are not using it

Well, yeah. Fluid dynamics engineers have known this for generations. Whether it applies to port velocities is the question. Although its relevance here, on such a terrible speaker, is nothing but academic.

devopsprodude

YSC

Major Contributor
Well, those really elevated highs really surpassed my expectations even seeing the headless panther grading...

surprised to see respected big names going this wrong especially in their anniversary editions!
I personally don’t think The showroom sound appeal would change and that ppl love to “tune” their speakers and believe that sound is subjective and emotional thing so it’s the right way to have favours in their own system and that flat measuring systems are plain wrong and boring. “Hifi is art and science is for boring scholars” as I was told many times..

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I'm not sure I would go that far... the flaws (and they are many) of this speaker should be clearly audible.
So there's only two possibilities:
  1. You like them - either because you want "sizzle and bang" without EQ, or because you are more interested in brand and aesthetics.
  2. You hated them already - in which case you likely already returned them after an audition.
In either case, a bad review shouldn't matter to you all that much. Now if you said "it's a sad day for B&W"... that would be true - it's just that they clearly intended much of what's wrong here objectively. Many of their other speakers exhibit similar characteristics.
That is the problem. For goodness sakes use a waveguide.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Is it possible that B&W has internal blind listening test research that this response is preferred over a more neutral Toole/Harman response? Obviously they're capable of producing a neutral response today, given they were capable of doing it 30 years ago. Honestly makes me wonder.

Anyone that's used to a neutral response(like Amir, or me) is going to dislike it at first. I think to some degree we look for what's closest to what we're used to, and not necessarily what we'd actually prefer long term. I know this is definitely true for myself. I think it would take blind listening tests to say for sure. Makes me want to purchase one and put it up against the M105 with the ABX Comparator with other folks. I wish I had a Best Buy near me that had them. Definitely wouldn't bet on the B&W winning, but as J.P. from Angels in the Outfield would say, "It could happen".
I would rather not have to become "used" to a sound signature.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather not have to become "used" to a sound signature.

You can't help it was my point. I'm used to the Genelec sound now, but when I first got them, I didn't like them as much as my previous speakers. At least that's the way it is with me. I've purchased many speakers, but I've never found a pair that I've enjoyed more than its predecessor from day 1.

F1308

Major Contributor
When confronted with a series of speakers to choose my very first pair among, I was offered this maker and was immediately withdrawn from the contest as I considered them deeply obscure.

Talking about their good lookings, if any at all and then only to a few, let me say I find it very hard to understand a description such as ..."masculine and nicely textured port", but anyway I just simply put it in the same box where "...sexy aviation aluminium wheels" and some other collected nonsenses are.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Mythbusters showed that it reduces drag

Which begs the question, what is reason more companies are not using it
Patents? Perhaps axial folds would be an alternative way, but then the port would look like... o_O

Last edited:

Forum Donor
I confess ignorance in not having the entire thread before proffering this answer:
the literal translation Norwegian = ondsinnet nytelse and for Danish = ondsindet fornøjelse
But I'm fairly sure you didn't really want that answer :)
Yeah, yeah, sure sure. But how do I say it in Norwegian and Danish?

Forum Donor
I had a pair [still do stored away] of Klipsches, I then went old school and got some big old Tannoys. I'm much happier now. However, in the spirit of this site that could just be purely due to psycho-acoustics :)
I endured Klipsch for years. Didn't know any better.

Top Bottom