• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the bass extension to go for when buying new speakers ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
85dB sound level is NOTHING for deep bass, this is whispering level. You need to look at at least 105dB of sound pressure (and distortion at that level).
On 83~85 dB as white noise reference calibration point it's counted in the +20 dB for peeks and that's hause limit. Movie's can go up to DR 25 but for movie theatre's. Over 83~85 mono +3 stereo the equal loudness for bass starts to go down instead of flat. Amir doesn't do compression tests and home & "Hi-Fi" speakers aren't made for as high as possible peek capabilities, PA one's are.
So there are different 85 dB's to talk about.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What kind of sensitivity are looking for, in terms of dB SPL/2.83V?

late 80's or above 3 db compared to my dyanaudios, this site rate them at 82 db (averaged 300Hz-3kHz on Listening Window, 2.83V/1m)

Highest spl i have measured close to the speakers less than the length of my phone is 102-103db, just 2 feet away the spl can be as much as 10 db lower PEAK, yes it's loud but not super loud and bass is good i just miss a little more tight,slightly punchier bass (not just at high levels but also at low levels)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
late 80's or above 3 db compared to my dyanaudios, this site rate them at 82 db (averaged 300Hz-3kHz on Listening Window, 2.83V/1m)

Highest spl i have measured close to the speakers less than the length of my phone is 102-103db, just 2 feet away the spl can be as much as 10 db lower PEAK, yes it's loud but not super loud and bass is good i just miss a little more tight,sligly punchier bass (not just at high levels but also at low levels)

The DBR-62 has 85dB/2.83V.
If you need more, there's the Polk ES20 at 88dB.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I like good capabilities but even with those in the 30hz range I'll still use subs in any case, just better in the lower realm but I want the speakers to have significant drivers for larger rooms. Smaller room like my very small bedroom a 5.1 setup using 5.25" drivers and f3s in the high 40s/low 50s and two subs works great.

I also often se high end system with big speakers that should go pleanty loud and deep beeing used with subs, i personally won't go crazy, i just want a little higher sensitivity and more bass, i also for some genres think it won't do anything adding a subwoofer, since the kick, drums are above the freqency played buy a subwoofer

In turns of more bass,spl with the B&W 606 S3 it start's to have more bass,punchier bass than B&W 705, Dali oberon 3, Dali opticon 2, Dali rubicon 2 and my emit m10's, im just not shure it has higher sensitivity (only on paper) and it might be to much highs at high levels (listening fatigue), if the 606's has 3 db more power than i would have to have double the power for my dynaudio's to play as loud as the 606's, and thay would be enough.

The max spl i have is okay, i just don't wanna use all of the power my amp has to play loud + a little more tight bass

Spl goal could be mid 90's avarage 4-5 meter from the speakers or peaking above 100 db at 4-5 meters if i want a little more dynamic headroom.

2024-03-05 13_45_09-(3) MUNICH Hi-End 2023 Part 6 - YouTube – Google Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Maybe at a tangent to the OP, but I grew up believing (and thinking I knew) that the best speakers had large bass divers offering good output and extension below 100hz with LOW DISTORTION at reasonable to high levels.

I'd posit today that the smaller speakers around with seemingly physics busting bass extension from their tiny cones are distorting like crazy below 80hz or so and I yet ye, this AIN'T BASS!!!!! At least, not as I know it! For me in a typical small to mid size UK room, a two cubic foot box with 8" bass driver is an absolute minimum ideally.

I suspect here, posters with nice large rooms, may prefer a smaller monitor with a pair or more subs taking over the sub 80hz duties and high-passing the mains to improve midrange distortion as the cone is relieved of low bass duties.

One other subjective thing - too much mid-bass in one room can make a speaker sound dull. reducing the mid bass can improve perception of lower frequencies - no wonder peeps here like a UMIK and REW software to try to fine tune speaker-room situations...

DSJR

Major Contributor
I also often se high end system with big fronts that should go pleanty loud and deep beeing use with subs, i personally won't go crazy, i just want a little higher sensitivity and more bass, i also for some genres think it won't do anything adding a subwoofer, since the kick, drums are above the freqency played buy a subwoofer View attachment 354318
GAWD what a HORRIBLE looking system!!! All that money for what's basically eye candy to some people (nausea inducing for me these days I'm afraid)

Is there any advantage in buying speakers with a lower f3 than ~80hz when crossing over to a sub, other than max spl ? For example, what would the audible advantage be of 8030's plus a sub, over 8010's plus a sub, at the same spl ?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Monitor Audio BRONZE 100 ?

mj30250

Is there any advantage in buying speakers with a lower f3 than ~80hz when crossing over to a sub, other than max spl ? For example, what would the audible advantage be of 8030's plus a sub, over 8010's plus a sub, at the same spl ?
Crossovers always overlap, they aren't a hard stop. How much overlap is involved depends on the slope. Speakers that extend lower than the chosen crossover point can be easier and more flexible to integrate with a sub. In general, speakers that extend lower tend to offer better power handling / lower distortion as well, even above the crossover. You generally trade away some sensitivity to gain more extension, though, so it's important to understand your needs and your equipment as there are always trade-offs involved.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Sound quality from the midrange

Update, it's of course if the speakers normally play deeper than the crossover + a little higher spl form the bass driver, which you might not notice since your amp still has the same power, distorts at the same volume

Last edited:
Top Bottom