• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best measuring tube amp

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
"For what it is" is the key here. If you want high power and low distortion a single-ended triode without global negative feedback is not your best option. If you want a single-ended triode amp, the DG300B is a good candidate.

Tom

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this is interesting! That light on the front!

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Carlson.
nice one.
But there seem to be 10+ tubes on that thing! That's $1-2000 just for the 'bottles' and a lot of (potential) headaches

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
nice one.
But there seem to be 10+ tubes on that thing! That's $1-2000 just for the 'bottles' and a lot of (potential) headaches
I'm not an aficionado of tubes, but I don't think you buy them for the practicality.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of looks and build quality I really like https://www.toolshedamps.com/.

Here's their 300B

SteveV300bAmp.jpg

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an aficionado of tubes, but I don't think you buy them for the practicality.
You surely don't :)
But there is quite a difference in headaches&costs between a typical amp with 4-5 tubes and one with 15 like that Carlson.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You surely don't :)
But there is quite a difference in headaches&costs between a typical amp with 4 tubes and one with 15 like that Carlson.
Yet, the Carlson is probably more admired for just that reason. I would not assume a rational selection process.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yet, the Carlson is probably more admired for just that reason. I would not assume a rational selection process.
Might as well just go for the gusto and get a very vintage EH Scott radio. Statement pieces in electronics from the Duesenberg era. :)

scott-36.jpg

scott-24.jpg

Even EH Scott's lesser radios were -- in those days, and in most cases -- works of art.

SPARK_Museum_of_Electrical_Invention_-_interior_66-_Pointer-Dial_Philharmonic_Console_Radio_Model_20A_-_E.H._Scott_Radio_Laboratories%2C_Inc.%2C_Chicago%2C_1937.jpg

2578c39ef4fe0da07fc17d372152c92b--radia-tv-vintage.jpg

Not to be confused with H.H. Scott -- another fine old audio brand, but rather more modern and rather more hifi in a way that would register with even this site's members.
H.H. Scott built some very, very fine FM radio tuners for several decades. Their commercial broadcast signal relay quality tuners, e.g., the 4310, were exemplary.

4310.jpg

but I digress.
;)

(none of the above is mine -- although I do have a few lesser H.H. Scott tuners)

Last edited:

xaxxon

I'm actually pretty interested in this topic. There's a local builder, Linear Tube Audio, that makes OTL headphone amps (among other components) and I'm hoping to swing by this weekend with my DAC and headphones and give this amp a listen:

I've heard it before, but I want to really give it a good listen to see if it floats my boat. Owners rave about it and state it's the best of the SS and Tube attributes in one package. My curiosity is piqued. I've got a RME ADI2 DAC and the SS headphone amp section of this is great, but I suffer from fear that something out there is subjectively better sounding and I'm just not sure. I think giving this LTA amp a listen would be interesting.
“The best of solid state and tube” are mutually exclusive :p

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Is there a consensus as to which type of tube amp is the best measuring? e.g. OTL, SET, SEP, Pentodes in push-pull, triodes in push-pull?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a consensus as to which type of tube amp is the best measuring? e.g. OTL, SET, SEP, Pentodes in push-pull, triodes in push-pull?
The best measuring one is still the one with the highest negative feedback but this isn't going to be consistent in best "sounding" amp.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say best "sounding" amp, what do you mean? In other words, how would you characterize "best sounding"?

Well, I am one who measured
and
and these

The numbers are very clear what the ranking should be based upon measurements. If I use well recorded classical music, the best sounding amps are the solid state amps.

However, if I use great music from mediocre singers (La La Land Soundtrack) or great singers with mediocre recordings (Sur Mes Gardes - Joyce Jonathan), the tube amp is better. The phantom center is wider/less precise but no matter how much I KNOW it’s coloration, I prefer the tube amp. If you have a Tidal or Amazon Music, you should try listening to those albums on a variety of different systems.

al2002

I do believe that this thread is rapidly drifting off topic……

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Accuracy is replicable. Personal taste, however, is not.

Exactly. And right now, the best 5 W SINAD tube amp is the one I have measured. :). But I think what is also important is what you are listening to. We all agree that we have different tastes in music — and there are some recordings that benefit from transparency and others that do not.

What I have come to appreciate is that choosing euphonics is not like rejecting science. We can still aim for euphonics while avoiding 60 Hz AC mains noise or making sure components are electrically grounded for safety.

@al2002 , the thread has gone off topic since no one has submitted an APx555 or E1DA Cosmos ADC measurement of a tube amp that has beat the SFS-80 that I posted so far.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might as well just go for the gusto and get a very vintage EH Scott radio. Statement pieces in electronics from the Duesenberg era. :)

scott-36.jpg

scott-24.jpg

(none of the above is mine -- although I do have a few lesser H.H. Scott tuners)
nice ones.

Here's one contemporary tube-forest: Audiovalve Challenger (also check their Baldur)
20+ tubes and that is just one monoblock!

chall400-pimped-up-1024_1024x1024-1193591666.jpeg

Top Bottom