• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best measuring tube amp

D

Deleted member 50971

The Fisher is fun, and I have a couple FM tuners that I run into it, as well as play some vinyl through it. Not necessarily transparent hi-fi, but it works well for what it is.

al2002

Acoustats and SLs used the same split xfmr arrangement with similar impedance. Very high at low frequencies and less than an ohm at 20 khz. I could have told you the EAR would be less than good on either. I've never had hands on with Wolcott. Big mosfet amps and tube amps usually work. VTLs, ARs, C-Js. The best thing I've found for them is class D amps. With some large bipolar amps I've found adding a .5 ohm or 1 ohm power resistor in series will make the amp happy. If you intend to make it permanent you can just put it in series with the high frequency transformers.
A series resistor will affect the FR. Not recommended. Better to get a suitable amp in the first place. Muscle amps from the 1980s-90s should work well. Big Haflers, Krells, dBx, et al…..

Some are reasonably priced on the second hand market.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the current Dynaco STA-70 version 3

At 50 milliwatt, 0.008% THD and SNR 81.2 dB

Marantz PM-10, bridged HypeX nCore NC500
At 50 milliwatt, 0.080% THD and SNR 77 dB

Accuphase A-47, pure Class A amp
At 50mW 0.050% THD and SNR 75 dB

Cambridge Edge A, Class XD
At 50 mW, 0.010% THD, SNR 71.4 dB

Bryston 4B3, Class AB
50 mW, 0.050% THD 61.2 dB

—-
At 50 milliwatt, a 93 dB/2.83V efficient speaker will hit 81 dB if you are 6 ft away, have the speakers near a wall and are listening to two speakers. In your mind, this is like -24 on a calibrated home theater receiver.

This shows that the Dynaco at 0.05W out measures HypeX NC500’s that are bridged (albeit a Marantz PM-10 which may have music tuning), a reference class A amp, reference class AB amp, and an exotic Class XD amp.

@amirm , I know it is apples to oranges when comparing THD from a website where we have no idea how they measure, but how would a AHB2 or LA90 do at 50 milliwatt with your tests?

Clearly the solid state amps outpace the Dynaco’s once you get to 5W, but the criticism of the LA90 and AHB2 has always been power. I wonder if they beat tubes even at 50 mW.

@SIY, @B&WTube

al2002

Oh well, 3500 Euros for an updated version of an amp that cost $69.99 back in the day.
Yes, tubes and high voltage caps are expensive now, but still……

Not sure what measuring technique Stereo Magazine uses, but it is possible that the reported 50 maw distortion numbers for the SS amps are noise limited, and not a true measure of the distortion.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been following a couple of DIY project at a Swedish site by a competent designer that I know and if I just had a bit more space and interest I would probably have tried to build one of the projects, just for fun:

The tube power amp (more measurements will come):

The tube pre amp including a separate RIAA tube amp:

charleski

Major Contributor
I've been following a couple of DIY project at a Swedish site by a competent designer that I know and if I just had a bit more space and interest I would probably have tried to build one of the projects, just for fun:

Looks very respectable! Frankly, I can't think of a commercial offering that even comes close.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks very respectable! Frankly, I can't think of a commercial offering that even comes close.
Agreed. I have not seen such good performance for tube gear, but I also have not looked around very much either. Nevertheless, it is probably among the best you can get.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SS amps usually have lower distortion due to higher feedback, which in turn is available because of their designs' higher open-loop gain (often because complementary devices are more readily available).
Positron vacuum tubes never did catch on.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Positron vacuum tubes never did catch on.
:) I have a very vague memory of some very exoteric materials research for complementary tubes but my comment was poorly worded. I meant complementary transistors, of course, but obtaining matched p- and n- devices is still challenging. Mobility and all that jazz...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:) I have a very vague memory of some very exoteric materials research for complementary tubes but my comment was poorly worded. I meant complementary transistors, of course, but obtaining matched p- and n- devices is still challenging. Mobility and all that jazz...
Still farrrr better than it was in the bad old days of quasi-complementary :facepalm:

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh MC 3500. reviewed in Electronics World in the late 1960s. Measured THD under 0.1 % from 20-20kHz at full power, 350w.

McIntosh MC 275. My own unit measured under 0.1 % THD at 75 W, 20-20 kHz both channels driven when tested at one of Mac’s amplifier clinics in the 1970s.

Luxman 3045. Tested in the 1970s.

Marantz 9 and 8B also met the under 0.1% THD 20-20kHz at rated output ppower benchmark.

The EAR 509 also has very low distortion based on tests. Around 0.1% THD at full power. It is probably the only currently produced valve amp that is is the same class as the old Lux or Marantz or McIntosh amps.
At 12k the 509 ought to be good!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

charleski

Major Contributor
Stereophile tested the Dynaco ST-70 (version 2) in 2004. Thomas Norton's results are a bit different. His level sweep only goes down to 100mW, but at that level he measured a THD+N of 0.09%, with the result obviously dominated by noise. The wideband SNR @1W/8ohms was 60dB.
DYNst70FIG06.jpg

It's a competent result for a tube amp, and shows how commercial tube offerings haven't really progressed over the past 4 decades. But easily outclassed by modern SS designs. I wouldn't like to speculate on why Stereo Magazine got such radically different results (though they cite the same max power), but I doubt there's too much difference between version 2 and 3.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DIY solution above gives 0.003% THD+N at about 2W and 0.05% at 100W for a 1kHz signal. Quite high-end for a tube power amp.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I owned a pair of 509 maybe low distortion, but high noise. Couldn't live with them even after a full service by Tim.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt there's too much difference between version 2 and 3.

Why? The ST-70 is like the Porsche 911. Same in name, but not really the same. Same fundamental rear engine, flat 6 topology.

The Dynaco brand is like Polaroid, it’s gone through different owners. The Version 2 and Version 3 are made by two different companies. Panor made version 2. Radial Engineering made version 3.

The SFS-80, VTA-70, and ST-70 Version 1 are all Dynaco ST-70 variants

charleski

Major Contributor
Same basic design. Both use proper solid-state rectifiers. V2 uses a 6GH8A input tube, V3 uses an EF86. It's hard to find anything that would indicate radically lower noise, especially seeing the innards of the V3. As I said, it's a competent design.

al2002

I couldn’t see any details of the output transformer or the schematic.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn’t see any details of the output transformer or the schematic.
It is there in a link in the below post but I am not sure you can reach the documents if you are not a member of the forum.

I think the tranformer is this one:

Last edited:
Top Bottom