• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best measuring tube pre amp?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
336D36EB-8017-4EE9-BCB7-18A72A154ED2.png
Here , this chart gives an good idea about what messing with different regions can get you .

OP
We have a thread here about that, with listening tests, as a matter of fact.
Where be this thread? I wont take another listening test after trying one before and realizing its pretty disappointing, but I do want to read through the info and learn. Thanks.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where be this thread? I wont take another listening test after trying one before and realizing its pretty disappointing, but I do want to read through the info and learn. Thanks.

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like tubes because they are cool. I’m always confused by people who say I’m looking for a tube like sound. I’m not. I prefer a very neutral sound and despise “tube bloom” or distortion. I like them because they are cool and when properly done will be completely audibly transparent. I realize they are a relic. It’s a hobby, so you can fiddle with tubes and have a little fun or just buy a Hypex and be done. No wrong answer here. I’ve heard both. Pretty hard to tell the difference in the best of them, just saying.

OP
I like tubes because they are cool. I’m always confused by people who say I’m looking for a tube like sound. I’m not. I prefer a very neutral sound and despise “tube bloom” or distortion. I like them because they are cool and when properly done will be completely audibly transparent. I realize they are a relic. It’s a hobby, so you can fiddle with tubes and have a little fun or just buy a Hypex and be done. No wrong answer here. I’ve heard both. Pretty hard to tell the difference in the best of them, just saying.
How can they be completely transparent if they introduce distortion?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't necessarily have to introduce audible distortion. That's mostly modern tube gear made for the boutique sound. Once upon a time the best tube gear was transparent.

OP
They don't necessarily have to introduce audible distortion. That's mostly modern tube gear made for the boutique sound. Once upon a time tube gear was transparent.
Just curious but what do you base this claim off of? I mean, is there any objective way to show such a claim to be true?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious but what do you base this claim off of? I mean, is there any objective way to show such a claim to be true?
Measurements on older gear. Also, ask the tube designers here. Tubes do not have to be distortion boxes, that simply sells.

OP
Measurements on older gear. Also, ask the tube designers here. Tubes do not have to be distortion boxes, that simply sells.
Okay, do you know any gear to look into thats older and is transparent, particularly a preamp heh. I am looking at the Freya+ but would like an older one minus headphone amp if possible.

D

Deleted member 21219

All circuits introduce distortion. The question is how much or how little.

"Transparent" is a tricky word. There is no codified standard to use as a reference.

Jim

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

If you look at advertisements from 'back in the day,' you'll see that they were trying as best they could with the technology at hand to reproduce the signal as cleanly as possible.

1000024953.jpg

Compared to today's SS numbers, these may not be great, but it is unlikely those distortion numbers would be audible with real music. What's left is whatever the noise component is, but I don't think you are arguing that the noise contribution is what makes tubes special.

They are 'guaranteed for the protection of quality sound.' I'm not interested in a one size fits all fuzzbox. Hi-Fidelity and all...

Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
Didn’t say they were completely transparent. I said they were audibly transparent. My point is if you need testing equipment to detect any noticeable difference then it’s most likely a pretty well designed piece of tube gear. To me it’s sort of like a DAC with 120 sinad vs one with 100. You can measure it, but you can’t hear it. Admittedly, tube pre amps seem to measure better than amplifiers by comparison to SS.

Salt

Forum Donor
But you are creating your very own sound unique to you.
Keith
So why not, if it fullfills the job? Esp. for dealers it's worthy to do so ;)
It's not religion.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oxymoron?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not religion.
It's not hi-fi anymore, either. But knock yourself silly if you like how it sounds.

Salt

Forum Donor
Die Schönheit liegt im Auge des Betrachters.

refer to any translater you prefer

"But knock yourself silly if you like how it sounds"

Tsts, neglect of individual preferences ....

ta240

Major Contributor
It's not religion.
:) Many seem insulted like it is though.
As Nelson Pass says "It's not dialysis"

and I'm probably still going to call it hi-fi just to annoy people ;)

Top Bottom