• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best high-end speaker brands!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

An interesting glimpse into another world than ours.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I wonder what drugs the writer is on to name "Sonos" as the best overall "high end" speaker brand. I don't think that anybody in this hobby, be it objectivist or subjectivist, would think of Sonos as a "high end speaker brand" or "the best".

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what drugs the writer is on to name "Sonos" as the best overall "high end" speaker brand. I don't think that anybody in this hobby, be it objectivist or subjectivist, would think of Sonos as a "high end speaker brand" or "the best".
I think in the group of people he's addressing, it might make sense.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hang about!
I'm considering two 5's and stands, as my possible end of times system! Seriously!
Don't tell my Missus mind!

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This article is written for people who have absolutely no idea about audio and probably could care less about absolute fidelity. Sonos does offer a level of simplicity and convenience that is really hard to match. And they aren’t the worst sounding things tbh. But your point is well taken. There are better options.

Piere

Probably the outcome of his 7-sided dice me think. Mine gave Dali as number one. But, I did put fresh batteries into it :cool:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
His name is Stoner.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This article is written for people who have absolutely no idea about audio and probably could care less about absolute fidelity. Sonos does offer a level of simplicity and convenience that is really hard to match. And they aren’t the worst sounding things tbh. But your point is well taken. There are better options.
Yes, these are people that don't even know you can measure a speaker, let alone do it.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I wonder if this has anything to do with their selection:

1701630764262.png

If they named Genelec, Dutch & Dutch, Kii's, etc. that we typically think of the best high end speaker brands, nobody is going to buy them from Amazon.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this has anything to do with their selection:

View attachment 331493

If they named Genelec, Dutch & Dutch, Kii's, etc. that we typically think of the best high end speaker brands, nobody is going to buy them from Amazon.
Amazon carries a surprising number of things through the various shops. I think the article is just written for the massively uncaring majority.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the thread title and I thought to myself, "Self -- someone's done gone and hacked @fpitas's ASR account!"
;) :cool:
Lol no. I just like to peek into the real world sometimes. Don't worry, I'll be back. It's scary out there!

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MKR

Major Contributor
Well, at least they have KEF on the list, so not all hope is lost :p

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, at least they have KEF on the list, so not all hope is lost :p
Even a stopped clock is right sometimes lol.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a matter of budget, experience and perspective I suppose.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Even a stopped clock is right sometimes lol.
Identically twice a day, assuming it's a 12-hour analog clock.
:cool:

(OK, OK... ignoring the moon dial in the example above -- which, in fact was not stopped when the photo was taken; i.e., it's virtually always incorrect)

Top Bottom