• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best high-end speaker brands!

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
This one is funny according to MSN

Best High-End Speaker Brands​

1. Sonos (Best Overall)
  2. Acoustic Engineers (Best Professional Studio Monitors)
  3. JBL (Best Bluetooth Speakers)
  4. Klipsch (Best Floor-Standing Speakers)
  5. KEF (Best Bookshelf Speakers)
  6. Rockville Audio (Best Budget Speakers)
  7. Dali (Best Home Theater Speakers)

An interesting glimpse into another world than ours.
Well, consider the source... Consumer Reports also used to disseminate the same type of crap. I have not read their publication in years, so I don't know if they still do.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, consider the source... Consumer Reports also used to disseminate the same type of crap. I have not read their publication in years, so I don't know if they still do.
It depends on the context, for a typical consumer that sort of information may be relevant. Crazy nutty people who obsess about audio details, maybe not so much :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We need Radio Shack to mount a big comeback.

1701657380589.png

source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1976_radioshack_catalog.html

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well , kef was on my list and their list.
Was thinking more the reference and blades though.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
It depends on the context, for a typical consumer that sort of information may be relevant. Crazy nutty people who obsess about audio details, maybe not so much :)
The problem is that there is no "best", not even for the typical consumer. I speculate that those speaker brands listed may have paid to be included in the list, and the author did not bother listening to all of the speakers in the list, let alone compare them, in a listening test, to other comparably priced speakers in their categories. If my speculation is correct, it really is a disservice to consumers.

But, nothing new. It has been going on in the audio industry for decades and decades. Cryogenically treated power cables for anyone?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that there is no "best", not even for the typical consumer. I speculate that those speaker brands listed may have paid to be included in the list, and the author did not bother listening to all of the speakers in the list, let alone compare them, in a listening test, to other comparably priced speakers in their categories. If my speculation is correct, it really is a disservice to consumers.

But, nothing new. It has been going on in the audio industry for decades and decades. Cryogenically treated power cables for anyone?
It still depends on your perspective mostly. Typical consumers don't even dwell on it beyond what works great for me at this moment in mostly a non-critical audio environment?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An actual typical consumer considers $100 expensive for headphones and $100-$500 expensive for anything else.

I'm not sure what this article is, probably just the first 7 speaker brands Mr. Stoner could think of.

DonR

Major Contributor
An actual typical consumer considers $100 expensive for headphones and $100-$500 expensive for anything else.

I'm not sure what this article is, probably just the first 7 speaker brands Mr. Stoner could think of.
I think Apple changed all that with the Airpod Max.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Apple changed all that with the Airpod Max.
Regular consumers are willing to spend more sometimes, but they still consider it "expensive".

Meanwhile in the "audiophile" world nothing under $3K is considered expensive. :D

DonR

Major Contributor
Regular consumers are willing to spend more sometimes, but they still consider it "expensive".

Meanwhile in the "audiophile" world nothing under $3K is considered expensive. :D
Well we now have $10,000 soundbars so I think what is considered "expensive" is morphing.

Spokis1952

Hmm, there are some cool high-end speaker brands out there! Like, you got Bowers & Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen, and Sonos. They're like top-notch quality for sure!

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
It still depends on your perspective mostly. Typical consumers don't even dwell on it beyond what works great for me at this moment in mostly a non-critical audio environment?
Probably you are correct. I can see some people not really caring much about the sound quality, but just want something that fits their decor and produces some boom and sizzle. The guy from whom I bought my house installed a Klipsch surround system with 5 smallish speakers hanging from the ceiling and a crap subwoofer. (He probably read one of those 10 best speakers lists). The system is not what you would call HiFi. But, they are there, I don't feel like patching up the ceiling, and I hardly ever use that room. So, I never bothered pulling them out.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably you are correct. I can see some people not really caring much about the sound quality, but just want something that fits their decor and produces some boom and sizzle. The guy from whom I bought my house installed a Klipsch surround system with 5 smallish speakers hanging from the ceiling and a crap subwoofer. (He probably read one of those 10 best speakers lists). The system is not what you would call HiFi. But, they are there, I don't feel like patching up the ceiling, and I hardly ever use that room. So, I never bothered pulling them out.
over here they would have ripped them out and taken them with them. Just leave the holes.

Might be crap but it's not bad for free. All that they left in my house was half a loaf of stale bread, a pair of binoculars (broken) and an old chest of drawers. The drawers were lined with newspaper, it was dated 1946.

CapMan

Major Contributor
We have a Sonos Play 1 in pretty much every room so I guess most of my music is enjoyed that way vs the ‘HiFi’ in the lounge.

I find it a very enjoyable listen. The units are well made, good to look at, and they last for many, many years.

All for £150 each. That’s a ‘best’ of sorts.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have a Sonos Play 1 in pretty much every room so I guess most of my music is enjoyed that way vs the ‘HiFi’ in the lounge.

I find it a very enjoyable listen. The units are well made, good to look at, and they last for many, many years.

All for £150 each. That’s a ‘best’ of sorts.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sonos is more than good enough for most people. Luckily Sonos is not only popular, but has their heads on straight when it comes to sound quality, at least as far as their design constraints go. It's not "true" hi-fi but it's far from a disaster like Beats was at first.

If want people to invest in good sound beyond Sonos, we need to figure out a way to make them care about it. Most people are interested in music, but not sound per se.

Last edited:
Top Bottom