• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Bamboo Project" : Dual Mono 3E Audio 480-1-29A Amplifier

musicforcities

One technical question: the central mounting of the PSUs make sense. But is there any concern with interference with the modules in that configuration? Looks like there is room to put one the psu in front of the amp modules as the built version Amir reviewed was set up. May make zero difference I know.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
One technical question: the central mounting of the PSUs make sense. But is there any concern with interference with the modules in that configuration? Looks like there is room to put one the psu in front of the amp modules as the built version Amir reviewed was set up. May make zero difference I know.
I tested the configuration before implementation. No interference to declare) Note that the version that Amir tested has a simple Mono configuration (one PSU / One module), and not dual Mono. To give you an idea : with my speakers equipped with Heil ESS AMT3 (96db), even at the highest volume level, ears glued to the ESS tweeters, absolutely dead silence. (which was not the case with my Purifi and NC252MP for example)

Last edited:

brunes

Did you consider a soft start prior to the SMPS (Is this even possible to use for SMPS) to give you power on LED ? How did you wire this 220V LED ?
Also did you just wire the 2 SMPS to the single IEC power input - are they in series or in parrallel (or better.. how did you wire these up :) )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Did you consider a soft start prior to the SMPS (Is this even possible to use for SMPS) to give you power on LED ? How did you wire this 220V LED ?
Also did you just wire the 2 SMPS to the single IEC power input - are they in series or in parrallel (or better.. how did you wire these up :) )
Soft Start is optional as is the EMI filter
The two PSUs are neither in // nor in series) There is simply one PSU per Module. They are each powered independently via the EMI filter, itself powered @220V AC
Led is powered via 220V AC in. (Neutral / Phase)

Last edited:

chips666

Nice project
I remember you liked the TI TPA3255 a lot
Still own a drMordor version
Finally this chip gets hi ranking in the class-D world
Enjoy...

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Dani, What do you calculate the amps power to be?

Good question,
We have part of the answer in the ASR test but I am using 250W per channel for the PSUs. Should be nice to clarify this point > 'voltage limited' vs 'current limited'

But we know that with a 51V/11A PSU we get :
Stéréo Module 260-2-29A > 144W@4R / 92W@8R (275W(VA) per channel)
Mono Module 480-1-29a > 192W@4R / 102@8R (550W(VA) per channel)

Which tends to we are therefore rather limited by the current

Source :

1702496432416.png

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Nice project
I remember you liked the TI TPA3255 a lot
Still own a drMordor version
Finally this chip gets hi ranking in the class-D world
Enjoy...

Really ) yeah, I DIYed many DrMordor modules as well. I can share pictures if you want

musicforcities

Hi amigos,

Following the ASR review of the 3E Audio 480-1-

Quick question: how tall is the module total? (That is if it is horizontally on stable. 3e gives length and width but did not see a vertical/height measure.

musicforcities

I tested the configuration before implementation. No interference to declare) Note that the version that Amir tested has a simple Mono configuration (one PSU / One module), and not dual Mono. To give you an idea : with my speakers equipped with Heil ESS AMT3 (96db), even at the highest volume level, ears glued to the ESS tweeters, absolutely dead silence. (which was not the case with my Purifi and NC252MP for example)
Cool. Yes I am deciding between a dual mono, monoblocks, or just going with the 2channel module for now as aliexpress seems sold out of the single channel ones.

For the 2 channel module (or I suppose for two mono blocks, I am considering the case below and mounting the amp board vertically to the heat sink side towards the back and smps towards the front, also on the heat sink I suppose.

Dimensions:
External dimensions: Width 90mm Height 140mm Depth 257mm

Internal dimensions: Width 62mm Height 132mm Depth 246mm

For my uses a vertical but deep box works best.

IMG_0046.jpeg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Count approximately between 350€ / 400€ for this project.
I apologize that I cannot give you multiple "Likes".:mad:

I did not want to ask @amirm in his review of the 3E Audio 480-1-29A DIY PowerAmp kit that used the Mornsun 48Vdc/6.5A SMPS.
But I can ask my question to you:
Did you do any type of noise/EMI measurements (<1MHz) on the loaded output of your the 48Vdc/5.2A Ziqqucu SMPS for Bamboo?
With or without the EMI filter board?
Both would be telling, since SMPS have always given me the heebie-jeebbies!

Extra kudos for the bullet points.:)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I apologize that I cannot give you multiple "Likes".:mad:

I did not want to ask @amirm in his review of the 3E Audio 480-1-29A DIY PowerAmp kit that used the Mornsun 48Vdc/6.5A SMPS.
But I can ask my question to you:
Did you do any type of noise/EMI measurements (<1MHz) on the loaded output of your the 48Vdc/5.2A Ziqqucu SMPS for Bamboo?
With or without the EMI filter board?
Both would be telling, since SMPS have always given me the heebie-jeebbies!

Extra kudos for the bullet points.:)

Thanks for the question )
Alas, I did not measure so I am unable to answer. As I said above, I mainly use EMI filters and my DIY creations because I have an old electrical installation. I remember reading a thread on diyaudio about this, and the person had done some measurements but couldn't find it... As far as I'm concerned, I avoid basic filters with a simple Common-mode choke. The EMI filter I am using is a dual stage type : it avoids the interference of AC 220V AC mains due to inverter air conditioners, electronic switching power supplies, refrigerators, chargers etc.... and also prevents from saturation or static current increase.

Haskil

Forum Donor
Which makes them excellent amplifiers for an active speaker project...

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Dani, What do you calculate the amps power to be?

In a more pragmatic way for those who want to embark on this project using a Mono module. No need to invest in a 48V/10A power supply, the power supply I selected is enough)

1702666096872.png

Last edited:

rsqt

Thank you.
So maybe these are very clean 280W/2Ohm. Very nice.
I take/ordered 3 of them for my DBA and Infra Sub. Do you know what the deepest frequency is they can do or "like"? My Infra runs from 7Hz

Top Bottom