• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioholics Measurements and review of Anthem MRX 1140 and 740 AVRs

MadElectrons

It is fixable with a $10-$20 external fan that is much quieter. Too bad owners are not complaining, if they all do, I bet Anthem could at least improve the issue via FW, and use a quieter one in the future production runs.
Returning the AVR is in a way complaining. The retailer surely can't be happy with higher than normal frequency of returns and would bring it up with anthem (i presume).

Yes, i read about the fan mod but it just seems wrong to have to do that given the money i payed.

MadElectrons

It's 2.5 meter from the listening position. In the middle of a movie i heard a new and unexpected sound. Came from the Mrx.

I was even using external amplification, just using the Mrx as processor too.
Ouch! Was the noise that obvious? How far was the receiver from your listening position?

tmukh

It's 2.5 meter from the listening position. In the middle of a movie i heard a new and unexpected sound. Came from the Mrx.

I was even using external amplification, just using the Mrx as processor too.
That’s not good. It’s a pity… I was all tempted to purchase this receiver. Especially with the glowing reviews about its pre amp stage and capability to provide high current to external amp (which would have allowed a low gain setting in the external amps yielding even lower noise)

MacCali

Major Contributor
Never saw this and surprised that the avr’s preamp is better than the processor solo. I am guessing the processor does excel in some ways. Besides balanced and unbalanced

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Thank you. Yes, I saw that video today. I will be redoing ARC from scratch. I noticed two things that were not present in my Anthem Web App but were present in the video.

1. I see N/A against Anthem Room Correction field under Inputs in my web app. There is no way to turn it on/off.
2. Second, I also don’t see any Convert Analog as well (it had 2 options, No & 192 KHz in the video I was looking at).

View attachment 247842

Mine:

View attachment 247843

Any ideas?
The MRX doesn't have this feature, there was code bleed over so MRX users could see it but there is no bypass or direct feature

ash1980

The MRX doesn't have this feature, there was code bleed over so MRX users could see it but there is no bypass or direct feature
Yes. I heard a Marantz app the other day and it sounded so much better than the MRX. I've decided to let go of my 740 and get either Marantz SR 6015 or 8015.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I just received the 540 a few days ago.

Unfortunately I'll be returning it because of the noise of the fan.
Did you get it fully firmware updated? They tried addressing some noise but it was caused by cheap fans mainly the smaller one, a good dealer will replace it with another, just note seems like a design issue to me as it kicks on at power on for too long. Or if one is technically ok it can be swapped :)

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Yes. I heard a Marantz app the other day and it sounded so much better than the MRX. I've decided to let go of my 740 and get either Marantz SR 6015 or 8015.
I demoed the 8015 for a week and it went back that joker gets HOT and the Anthem Web UI is unmatched. I haven't seen anyone measure these units after the ESS swap.

ash1980

I demoed the 8015 for a week and it went back that joker gets HOT and the Anthem Web UI is unmatched. I haven't seen anyone measure these units after the ESS swap.
I agree on the Anthem Web UI part. It's very easy. I am not sure, I read all the reviews and everything and then bought the Anthem but the sound is just not there, , tried fixing ARC as well. I am sure, I am missing something but this is my first time experience with hifi systems and not sure what I'm missing. On Marantz, it was plug n play.

Which units after the ESS swap. Didn't get you.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen anyone measure these units after the ESS swap.

Amir did measure the AV8805A that has the ESS ICs, though not the SR8012. He also measured a Denon 2 channel, and now the AVR-X3800H. There was no notable performance drop on the 8805A but that's expected because the ESS IC used, while has lower SINAD than the original 8805 and the early 8805A's AK4490 it is still comparable to the AK4458 used in the Denon AVRs that scored well on pre out SINAD.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never saw this and surprised that the avr’s preamp is better than the processor solo. I am guessing the processor does excel in some ways. Besides balanced and unbalanced

Did you mean the Anthem AVR's preamp is better than the AVM70 and AVM90? If so, what are the evidence, any links to those?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I wouldn't call it clipping either though it is being driven out of its comfort zone. Marantz and at least some Denon's start to run out of juice so to speak at 1.4 volts. That is okay if you use their matching amps because they put out rated power at 1.4 volts input. So you just need an amp that is going to put out enough power with a 1.4 volt input signal.

If you are talking about the threshold of audibility, I don't think we know enough to really say whether 1.4 V, 1.5 V or even 2.0 V would make a difference to most people or for most applications. But by definition (unofficial I guess as this is just a bobby, not regulated, no fixed standards etc.), clipping is considered by one or more of the following conditions:

Wiki:
- Clipping is a form of waveform distortion that occurs when an amplifier is overdriven and attempts to deliver an output voltage or current beyond its maximum capability. Driving an amplifier into clipping may cause it to output power in excess of its power rating.

Elliot Sound:
- An amplifier is said to be clipping when the output signal attempts to exceed the supply voltage. Since the supply voltage defines the absolute maximum peak output voltage from the amp, the signal will be clipped or 'cut off' if the input signal level is too high. For normal testing purposes, a sinewave is the most common test signal used, but this only tells part of the story.

So Amir may or may not be technically incorrect by the above definitions, but it is misleading as it would imply that in this example, one may interpret 1.4 V as the "maximum" voltage the pre out can attain at distortions level that is clearly at or above the threshold of audibility that pretty much all other test benches including Stereophile and Audioholics would use between 0.1 or even 1% THD and that is -60 to -40 dB. We should also be reminded that when people see the word "clip" they would think at that point, distortions would become very bad, audible and would deteriorate literally rapidly, not just visudally/graphically as it is in these examples. That is absolutely not the case for any of the Denon/Marantz AVRs measured on AVR, then you still see 75 dB SINAD or 0.018% THD+N at 2 V, that is 43% higher than the ASR labelled "clip" point, that makes little sense.

By other measurement, including Amir's you can see that if he had measured the pre out at higher voltage, THD+N did not reach the point where it would really dropped down to the -60 dB level.

Below is the "amps driven" based on his measurements on the first X4700H, in which SINAD was much worse due to an operational issue that iirc, was due to the "downmixing" issue. I picked this one because in this one he did measure at voltages well pass 2 V.

In this graph, you can see clearly my point about why the 1.4 V, or 1.6 V is not the clipping point. The 2nd graph below, that was for the updated measurements when Amir realize the way he measured it the first time had resulted in lower SINAD because of the downmixing issue. In this graph you can see that he used a different scale, and did not measured up to above 2 V. If he had, you will most certainly see that the unit wouldn't have drop below 70 dB SINAD until at least 3 V. In this one, don't we think the clipping point for the X4700H's pre out should be more like 3.6 V?

Why are we penalizing the preamp/dac by labelling them clipping at a lower voltage only because it did so much better at the lower voltage? What if the unit manage 120 dB up to 1 V and then start to drop visually quick from 1.4 V to 95 dB at 2 V, are we to still label the 1.4 V as "clip"?

index.php

index.php

Now take a look of the NR1510 he just measured:

index.php

Here you see at below 0.5 V, SINAD was barely above 70 dB, yet he wouldn't consider it as clipping, and he didn't!

So, Amir has been consistent in referring the "clip" point as when he sees SINAD drops quickly, or what he called "precipitously". That's fine if a) all of the DUT's pre out voltage vs SINAD follow the same slope, but they don't, and b) if he, or us are to just eyeball the slope of the drop then we need to compare graphs using the same scale. We all know by changing scales of a graph, we can often create delusional effects, though unintentionally. And again, as I mentioned above, should we really label a DUT clip at 1.4 V if such graphs show very high SINAD (for AVR), such as 115 dB SINAD but drop from 1.4 V to 95 dB at 2 V?

I have also used one of his measurements on an Arcam to illustrate my point further, that is why the way he defined the clipping point could be misleading.

In this case, he did not use the term "clip" for the 0.9 V point, that is great, and it would encourage the reader to actually look at the numbers and judge for themselves whether this kind of pre out vs SINAD curve will meet their power amp requirements.

Now if he had measured this AVR10 up to 1 V only, then would he have labelled the 0.9 V point "clip"? My guess is yet he most likely would base on his track record.
In this weirder case, SINAD dropped "precipitously" from 0.9 V as Amir might say, but note that it actually turn around at above 1 V.

index.php

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I wouldn't call it clipping either though it is being driven out of its comfort zone. Marantz and at least some Denon's start to run out of juice so to speak at 1.4 volts. That is okay if you use their matching amps because they put out rated power at 1.4 volts input. So you just need an amp that is going to put out enough power with a 1.4 volt input signal.

Thanks for that, but here you can see my issue with that kind of labelling/definition. You wouldn't call it clippping, but yet you say "start to run out of juice". It really did not run out of juice as such, but have 70-75 dB SINAD that is as good or better than a Marantz prepro AV7705. Are we at ASR, as science oriented forum, to tell people their AV7705 preamp processor would run out of juice at 1 to 1.2 V if they use unbalanced outputs? Sorry about my lengthy post#53 in trying to make my points clearly. I wish I could express myself more effectively or efficiently, though I hope you would still read it and give me some more feedback.:)

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I agree on the Anthem Web UI part. It's very easy. I am not sure, I read all the reviews and everything and then bought the Anthem but the sound is just not there, , tried fixing ARC as well. I am sure, I am missing something but this is my first time experience with hifi systems and not sure what I'm missing. On Marantz, it was plug n play.

Which units after the ESS swap. Didn't get you.
I have had mine since launch so I have AKM. It's not plug and play as much until you get all the firmware updates installed and don't even both with ARC for a while IMO.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Amir did measure the AV8805A that has the ESS ICs, though not the SR8012. He also measured a Denon 2 channel, and now the AVR-X3800H. There was no notable performance drop on the 8805A but that's expected because the ESS IC used, while has lower SINAD than the original 8805 and the early 8805A's AK4490 it is still comparable to the AK4458 used in the Denon AVRs that scored well on pre out SINAD.
I am talking about the Anthem MRX line, they also had to switch. I haven't seen anyone Bench the newer versions 8k pre-installed either or post.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am talking about the Anthem MRX line, they also had to switch. I haven't seen anyone Bench the newer versions 8k pre-installed either or post.

They switched to the same one the 8805a used so I think they would measure just as good, but it would be better to see them measured.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Did you mean the Anthem AVR's preamp is better than the AVM70 and AVM90? If so, what are the evidence, any links to those?
Isn’t the sinad better than the AVM 70? That’s what I meant by better. As stated the processor must have a few pluses on its end for that price with no amplification.

Did I miss something or get it wrong? The 70 is 100 db and the 1140 is 105?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t the sinad better than the AVM 70? That’s what I meant by better. As stated the processor must have a few pluses on its end for that price with no amplification.

Did I miss something or get it wrong? The 70 is 100 db and the 1140 is 105?

So, you were comparing the Audioholics.com's bench test results to ASR's right? In that case a few dB difference can be expected. Even when measured by the same person on the same bench on the same day, two samples of the same model could produce slightly different results. It looks to me Audioholics 105 dB SINAD was for the pre out of the MRX740. All else being equal, you would think that preamp/processors without the power amps jammed in the same box should produce better results but if you look at bench measurements, that is not always the case, they can be very similar or one is better than the other but it can go either way. In the case of D+M, we already know the AVRs (all of Denon's, and the Marantz SR8015) measured better than the preamp/processors, actually by a significant margin.

ryaneagon

Hi All. Couple questions.
I'm interested in a couple AVR's, 1 being the Anthem MRX740. I see it's a 7 channel Amplifier, with 11 ch pre outs. 5 of the 7 channels are 170watts, the 2 remaining channels are 60watts. So, I'm unfaimler with the speaker setup on this device, the manual doesn't seem to help. I'm wanting to do a 5.2.4 setup. Question are all the channels assignable? Since I'm using an external amp for my LCR can I assign the front channels to a set of hights speakers? Sure, that means that 2 channels of hights will only be driven at 60 watts, I'm sure that will be okay as those speakers aren't very demanding, also will be using a speaker that has a rating of 8ohm and freq is only rated down to 70hz. Anyway, do you think this is a good idea?

Last edited:
Top Bottom