• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioholics Measurements and review of Anthem MRX 1140 and 740 AVRs

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you mean by "installer" ? How can I get measurements?

Also, is there any direct source option in mrx 740?

In post#19, he said "This was done via ARC by the person installing the setup." I meant the person "installing the setup".

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Not sure if this is the best thread but I'm facing issues with configuring my Aria 936 towers with Anthem MRX 740 for both surround and stereo setup. I heard Dali Rubicon 5 , Dali Spektre 2 Bookshelfs and they sounded much more alive than my Aria 936 towers. The dali's were connected to a 10 year old Yamaha amp. We don't have much help available in this region so not sure how to proceed. I have attached my Stereo 2.0 and Stereo 2.1 configurations below, along with some sample audio's as well. This was done via ARC by the person installing the setup.

System:
Aria 936 towers + CC900 Center + 906 for Bookshelf.
Source: Qobuz web player using Nvidia Shield (connected via HDMI)

Sample audio's:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1trq9hj1y1xwxyp/IMG_4661.MOV?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2crdgs0plor9y0/IMG_4662.MOV?dl=1

Would love to get some feedback and learn on how I can improve the sound.
Hi,
Have you tried to contact the person who did the setup to help you? That may be the best solution, especially if you paid a professional for a service.

If not here is a good video I always recommend to walk you through using ARC to setup a home theater and Music listening profile properly.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ash1980

Also, here is a thread where people (including myself) have posted their ARC measurements files. That would be a good place to ask for measurements help and post your results. https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/arc-genesis-results.30998/
Thank you. Yes, I saw that video today. I will be redoing ARC from scratch. I noticed two things that were not present in my Anthem Web App but were present in the video.

1. I see N/A against Anthem Room Correction field under Inputs in my web app. There is no way to turn it on/off.
2. Second, I also don’t see any Convert Analog as well (it had 2 options, No & 192 KHz in the video I was looking at).

Video Fields.png

Mine:

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.24.04 AM.png

Any ideas?

tmukh

Any thoughts on the MRX-540? Is it expected to perform similar to 740 and 1140 with great pre-out signals?
This is the question I have too. If the mx-540 has that same quality preamp, it would be a great bargain.

MadElectrons

This is the question I have too. If the mx-540 has that same quality preamp, it would be a great bargain.
I just received the 540 a few days ago.

Unfortunately I'll be returning it because of the noise of the fan.

ArturoKiwi

If you compared their specs, you would expect the same performance, but you should email Anthem if you want to hear from them.

I asked it at Anthem support by mail some weeks ago.
That's the reply at my second question/mail

Meb
Thank you for your reply.
Since your products in Italy are very expensive, I would like to ask you if mrx540 has the same dac and performance of mrx740 and mrx1140.
Mrx740 8k in Italy cost 4200€
Best Regards,
Arturo

The reply:
Hello Arturo,

The DAC spec would be the same for each of these units. The main difference would be the number of channels supported and the amp power specs.

Raman B

Technical Support Advisor
Paradigm | Anthem AV

ArturoKiwi

That's why I don't know if it is better to buy a used avm60 or a new mrx540 4k o_O

ArturoKiwi

So they answered your question. What did you expect them to tell you?
I hope the truth :D
As I already done with people that lies to sell his used gear.

I understand your point of view Peng, but it is very unlikely that with found good review of all the gear

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope the truth :D
As I already done with people that lies to sell his used gear.

I understand your point of view Peng, but it is very unlikely that with found good review of all the gear

For me, I think they should have answered your questions directly instead of a slightly vague one, though I have no reason to believe the 540 would not perform basically the same in terms of audio performance. Except as you already know, it has fewer channels.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received the 540 a few days ago.

Unfortunately I'll be returning it because of the noise of the fan.

It is fixable with a $10-$20 external fan that is much quieter. Too bad owners are not complaining, if they all do, I bet Anthem could at least improve the issue via FW, and use a quieter one in the future production runs.

tmukh

I asked it at Anthem support by mail some weeks ago.
That's the reply at my second question/mail

Meb
Thank you for your reply.
Since your products in Italy are very expensive, I would like to ask you if mrx540 has the same dac and performance of mrx740 and mrx1140.
Mrx740 8k in Italy cost 4200€
Best Regards,
Arturo

The reply:
Hello Arturo,

The DAC spec would be the same for each of these units. The main difference would be the number of channels supported and the amp power specs.

Raman B
Technical Support Advisor
Paradigm | Anthem AV
Thanks!

tmukh

Is it known if just like the Denon receivers, even these receivers in the preamp stage start clipping/distorting at a much lower voltage(1.4V?) if we use a combination of external amplification(say for the important LCR channels) and internal amplification (for surround sound)?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it known if just like the Denon receivers, even these receivers in the preamp stage start clipping/distorting at a much lower voltage(1.4V?) if we use a combination of external amplification(say for the important LCR channels) and internal amplification (for surround sound)?

They did not clip at 1.4V. In my opinion Amir should not call it "clip" just because THD+N started to rise quickly at that point. Most would consider at clipping THD would be at much higher THD, such as 0.1%, or even 1%.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I wouldn't call it clipping either though it is being driven out of its comfort zone. Marantz and at least some Denon's start to run out of juice so to speak at 1.4 volts. That is okay if you use their matching amps because they put out rated power at 1.4 volts input. So you just need an amp that is going to put out enough power with a 1.4 volt input signal.

tmukh

Yes, I wouldn't call it clipping either though it is being driven out of its comfort zone. Marantz and at least some Denon's start to run out of juice so to speak at 1.4 volts. That is okay if you use their matching amps because they put out rated power at 1.4 volts input. So you just need an amp that is going to put out enough power with a 1.4 volt input signal.

If I'm understanding that right, it may actually save me the money to unnecessarily upgrade my current Denon 4400H.

I just purchased Revel 226Be speakers + 1 M126Be (for center channel) along with a NAD M23 amp to drive the towers.
I already have two emotiva XPA 100 monoblocks - I could perhaps use one of these for the M126Be center.

So, what I could do is :
Set the M23 to highest gain (29 db) in which setting it has an input sensitivity of 1.4V
The XPA 100 anyway has a fixed gain of 29 db with input sensitivity of 1.2 V which will drive the M126Be
The rest of the surround processing could be handled by Denon's internal amplifier.

Any problem with the above setup? (Of course - I have no idea how clean is the preamp output of the Denon below 1.4V)

Top Bottom