• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The never ending rabbit hole....What Avr would you recommend for my setup? Marantz, Denon, Sony, Anthem, Yamaha, Integra, Emotiva or??????

Lewi1032

So, I'm looking to purchase a new AVR and I'm overwhelmed by the choices. I'm hoping for some advice to help guide my decision. I was previously using a Denon AVRX4700, which I sold to replace it with the new Marantz C50. However, after a month, I decided to return the C50 and consider the C40 instead. The Marantz was a significant upgrade from the Denon in terms of both looks and sound quality.

The Marantz delivered more detailed sound, superior Atmos, and better two-channel music listening, even seeming to provide more power to my 11.2 setup. I'm using a pair of monoblocks for my main JBL L200 speakers, so the two-channel power isn't an issue. Interestingly, I found Audyssey to sound much better in my setup than Dirac, even though I had the option to switch between the two.

My current setup includes 2 JBL L200's for the mains (powered by separate monoblocks), an Emotiva C2+ for the center channel, Emotiva Tzero+ for surround, Emotiva E2+ for rear surround, Emotiva A1 for front and rear Atmos, and 2 SVS PB3000 subs. The new receiver needs to support 11.2, factoring in my separate amps for the mains. I also have another set of mains, JBL L100's, that I'd like to integrate if possible, but it's not a deal-breaker. I have an LG 77" OLED, PS5, APPLE 4K TV, and Fire Cube TV all newest additions.

I loved the Marantz C50 and wouldn't hesitate to choose the C40 if it could support both the L100's and L200's. Currently, I'm considering the Marantz C40, Marantz SR8015, Anthem MRX 1140, Yamaha RX-A8A, Sony AZ7000ES, Integra DRX8.4, Emotiva basX MR1, and possibly the Denon AVR6700 (if someone can assure me it sounds better than the AVR4700 and on par with the c40/50). I'd like to have 4K 120Hz support, but I can do without it if the sound quality is substantially better on a model without it. If there is a model not listed let me know I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s hard to understand how the C50 could sound better than the X4700H based upon measurements, but there may be changes to the Audyssey algorithm. Edit: I believe you and I have found differences between production runs, etc. I am just saying that none of the data available here would predict why the C50 is better, though we haven’t gotten C50 measurements and are extrapolating on published info.

If you have already paid for Dirac, playing with the target curve makes sense to me. You can download some official Harman curves or play with the sliders and also playing with the speaker mic positions. Or consider using the Audyssey app.

Having owned Denon, Marantz, Sony, and Yamaha receivers/processors, my bias is still
1) Denon or Marantz when you have well positioned speakers
2) Yamaha or Sony when you don’t have well positioned speakers and benefit from extra spatial processing (for movies).

Historically, Sony had some of the best HDMI CEC if you also have a Sony TV. With LG, you are probably fine with the major players.

The Yamaha is usually designed around low output voltage so you need to make sure your input sensitivity of your external amps are appropriate.

The latest Sony AZ line is going through some firmware and production issues if you read the thread here.

JoeWhip

I have an Anthem 8k MRX driving a 5.1.2 system. I have a separate Anthem 5 channel amp that drives the three front speakers and the height speakers. The Anthem stuff sounds excellent. The pre outs sound much better than my older Marantz. It does not do Auro. 3D though, just Dolby Atmos and DTS X. A friend has the 1140 and it sounds fantastic too. These are the best aVRs I have heard but I have not heard the Trinnov.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm overwhelmed by the choices.
See how simple @JoeWhip makes his decisions by splitting the functional hardware (re: preAmp and powerAmp)?
I have a separate Anthem 5 channel amp that drives the three front speakers and the height speakers.
Pardon me: I always ask this question (about going separates) when someone asks about AVRs.;)

JoeWhip

Really? The SQ of the Anthem components is excellent. My friend only uses the 1140 and it is superb. Just giving my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcVRML

So, I'm looking to purchase a new AVR and I'm overwhelmed by the choices. I'm hoping for some advice to help guide my decision. I was previously using a Denon AVRX4700, which I sold to replace it with the new Marantz C50. However, after a month, I decided to return the C50 and consider the C40 instead. The Marantz was a significant upgrade from the Denon in terms of both looks and sound quality.

The Marantz delivered more detailed sound, superior Atmos, and better two-channel music listening, even seeming to provide more power to my 11.2 setup. I'm using a pair of monoblocks for my main JBL L200 speakers, so the two-channel power isn't an issue. Interestingly, I found Audyssey to sound much better in my setup than Dirac, even though I had the option to switch between the two.

My current setup includes 2 JBL L200's for the mains (powered by separate monoblocks), an Emotiva C2+ for the center channel, Emotiva Tzero+ for surround, Emotiva E2+ for rear surround, Emotiva A1 for front and rear Atmos, and 2 SVS PB3000 subs. The new receiver needs to support 11.2, factoring in my separate amps for the mains. I also have another set of mains, JBL L100's, that I'd like to integrate if possible, but it's not a deal-breaker. I have an LG 77" OLED, PS5, APPLE 4K TV, and Fire Cube TV all newest additions.

I loved the Marantz C50 and wouldn't hesitate to choose the C40 if it could support both the L100's and L200's. Currently, I'm considering the Marantz C40, Marantz SR8015, Anthem MRX 1140, Yamaha RX-A8A, Sony AZ7000ES, Integra DRX8.4, Emotiva basX MR1, and possibly the Denon AVR6700 (if someone can assure me it sounds better than the AVR4700 and on par with the c40/50). I'd like to have 4K 120Hz support, but I can do without it if the sound quality is substantially better on a model without it. If there is a model not listed let me know I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I recently upgraded from my Onkyo RZ-3100 to an MRX1140 and I have to say it is a superb piece of kit, and has completely transformed the quality of my listening experience (I'm using a 7.2.4 configuration).

Like you, I found the choice to be overwhelming, and ended up spending a LOT of time watching youtube reviews and testing, opinion pieces and comparisons.
If you DO decide to purchase an MRX1140, you might be unlucky enough to receive the version with the 2021 firmware, which is VERY buggy. This is NOT a problem, just be aware of it - once you can connect successfully to your wifi, you can trigger the update and after that, all works very well.

Anthem's dodgy old firmware requires the amp to either be declared as an Airplay speaker from your phone or iPad, or connected via a hard ethernet cable to your router.
Note : For me, the hard cable option didn't work, and the Anthem didn't show up as an airplay device on my iPhone. However, the iPad did work, and through that I was able to get it to connect to its update server, and then perform the update.

Once this had completed, the unit is stable.

The next step is to install ARC Genesis and then watch this video for detailed advice on how to get the best out of it in your room ...

Finally, after arc room correction completes, you WILL notice vastly reduced bass. Give it a few days - you may like it as it reveals a lot more detail in the sound, but if you don't, then you can introduce boosts in the low freqs accordingly via their software and / or ramp up the speaker levels on the subs specifically after setting your curve.

It's not an amp for beginners, but it is a very rewarding process. And the best part is that you can fiddle with it to your heart's content and try loads of different stuff to see what works best for you.

Final note : I'm in a small room that has ALWAYS given me huge problems with room modes from the subs, but the ARC Genesis treatment flattened all of this out. If you're a bass head like me, you may want to set the subs' internal volume control about 3db higher than the level on the front left speaker and allow ARC to reduce them by quite a bit. You can then use the unused headroom after ARC correction to ramp the subs back up again to where it sounds comfortable. After seeing many videos, I now understand there is - bizarrely - no "right" setting - it's about what's right for you, and your listening conditions, and your chosen listening volume. So, if you want to set the tone bass controls to +2.5db, add +5db to each sub in the speaker level controls AND push the low frequency room compensation up by 3db WITH a low end bass boost of another 3db, then do it. It all sounds fabulous, and you can really tell when you realise you can crank the volume up much higher than before without things sounding painfully loud. The MRX1140 is pure quality.

Hope this helps!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get whichever one has the *features* and *connectivity* you want.

The amps in them aren't likely to truly sound different, regardless of what your sighted, non-levelmatched listening tells you.

Ssmokeyy

I own the integra drx 8.4 love it. Amazing sound, tons of power, good web setup. Dirac out the box amazing. I had denon in the past and I never could get my room to sound correct. Anthem is another amazing brand. I install anthems and arc just works. Arc vs dirac pretty damn close. Both of those vs audessy 1000 times better than audessy. Also if your in this price range look at arcam and nad. Both have dirac just one uses lass d amps and arcam uses ess dac chips. Both good. Yamaha would be a pass for me until they get better calibration. Build quality is good on yamaha. I will not go back to denon/marantz there just over priced and make u pay extra to use everythjng it can offer.

evert

Check out the Onkyo RZ70, seems like an Integra DRX 8.4 without XLR connections. And you save $800.

Ssmokeyy

Rz70 is a lot less than just xlr. Web link has a lot less, sub out is a lot less, power is less, I would still take a rz70 over denon but min spend 200 more and get the pioneer model.

anarchist

When you want to compare receivers especially when used with external amp make sure you switch to direct mode, no EQ, otherwise you compare apples to bananas.
Unless a receiver is defective it's highly unlikely to hear any difference between comparable Denon and Marantz units, they mostly share same components BTW, since it's now same company.
Keep in mind that your hearing perception is affected by your mood, stress level, tiredness etc., it's your brain which gives you hearing, not just ears.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not only that, you want to match levels carefully.

not only that, you should be comparing blind

Do that and it's not just amp differences between Denon and Marantz that go away.

musichead76

I own the integra drx 8.4 love it. Amazing sound, tons of power, good web setup. Dirac out the box amazing. I had denon in the past and I never could get my room to sound correct. Anthem is another amazing brand. I install anthems and arc just works. Arc vs dirac pretty damn close. Both of those vs audessy 1000 times better than audessy. Also if your in this price range look at arcam and nad. Both have dirac just one uses lass d amps and arcam uses ess dac chips. Both good. Yamaha would be a pass for me until they get better calibration. Build quality is good on yamaha. I will not go back to denon/marantz there just over priced and make u pay extra to use everythjng it can offer.
Man you are lucky. I have been trying to find the 8.4 for 4 months now. No one seems to carry it right now even World Wide Stereo has it on back order. This receiver is the Cadillac of all Cadillac's.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Man you are lucky. I have been trying to find the 8.4 for 4 months now. No one seems to carry it right now even World Wide Stereo has it on back order. This receiver is the Cadillac of all Cadillac's.
I ordered mine within the first few hours of availability. Some vendors have been saying there will be more stock in September, so now might be a good time to put in an order even if you have to wait 6ish weeks.

Ssmokeyy

Put your order in at world wide stereo. When i put my order it their site said backordered but the next day it shipped out. Had it 3 days later.

Top Bottom