• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replace MiniDSP SHD with an AVR for Dolby Atmos

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I am not very familiar with AVRs.

I recently listened to a Dolby Atmos setup with a Samsung soundbar, and really liked the sorround effect that is achieved in some songs. I don't want to change my speakers or even my amplifiers, but I was wondering if I could add some surround speakers by using a AVR and using that to send Dolby Atmos to sorround, while using the pre-outs to continue using my Hypex amplifier/Linton speakers.

There is a good sale on Pioneer VSX-LX305 for < $600 (and it includes DIRAC!). I could sell my Minidsp and get this instead, but Amir's review of another Pioneer receiver gives me pause. I googled and couldn't find technical testing of this specific model.

Has anyone tried using similar comparatively inexpensive AVRs for Dolby Atmos, and how has their experience been ?

sam_adams

Major Contributor
There is a good sale on Pioneer VSX-LX305

Difficulty, no pre-outs:
vsxlx305.jpg

Top Bottom