• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Engineering Society 2023 Conference

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How did your talk go? Did you get any comments from the Cirrus Logic authors who has a talk in their 55nm lithography for ADCs?
The talk as far as organization was a bit of a disaster. I will explain later but feedback from the audience has been very positive. This, despite being cut off 60% into the slides.

The ADC talk was right after mine. Seems like an interesting development. Their numbers are a-weighted though so we need to test it without that filtering to know how well it works. One cool thing about it is that it has an integrated mic pre-amp with glitchless volume control. In the logic geometry they are using (55 nm), it apparently took no space! I can download the paper and get the details if you have specific questions.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see the Audio University YouTube guy is at AES and he recorded a short video - nothing much of interest in this Video other than it gives a feeling for the area with the vendors as he is just walking around outside the meeting rooms:

Looks like a much bigger event than I had imagined.
The exhibit hall is pretty small. I would say 50 to 60 vendors. Of that, maybe 5 or 6 were interesting to us.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The talk as far as organization was a bit of a disaster. I will explain later but feedback from the audience has been very positive. This, despite being cut off 60% into the slides.

The ADC talk was right after mine. Seems like an interesting development. Their numbers are a-weighted though so we need to test it without that filtering to know how well it works. One cool thing about it is that it has an integrated mic pre-amp with glitchless volume control. In the logic geometry they are using (55 nm), it apparently took no space! I can download the paper and get the details if you have specific questions.

Maybe next year, you can do a talk on speakers and the measurements. Back in the 2005 patent, speakers had a predicted preference rating from 1 to 7. Can see how things look if you sort by "current production" speakers?

X axis is price. Y axis is preference score. Then you have circles and squares to compare passive and active speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed that was my thought. Need to figure out what the hook/angle would be. I was thinking of Pro vs Consumer speakers.

My other thought was to present a tutorial on audio measurements. People who were doing this were given much more time. Alas, all they were doing was describing their own products in the name of "tutorial." The challenge was that they were charging $450 for people to attend these longer sessions so not sure if it is or it isn't a good idea.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Missed this thread, sounds like @amirm gave a talk? Congrats! Been years since I've been to any conference and longer than that to any AES meetings. Love to get back in, but don't really have anything to offer, and hard to justify the expense now. I'll have to wade through this thread and live vicariously through Amir.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The "talk" wound up being 8 to 10 minutes and cut my presentation in half. So the real deal was writing and submitting a 10 page paper on DAC measurements and learnings from that.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The "talk" wound up being 8 to 10 minutes and cut my presentation in half.
Not really cool.
So the real deal was writing and submitting a 10 page paper on DAC measurements and learnings from that.
Is this paper available now, or did it become property of AES and they want to charge for it ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is this paper available now, or did it become property of AES and they want to charge for it ?
In my best reading of the terms, they own it. They say I have to pay for them to take out of the paywall!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
In my best reading of the terms, they own it. They say I have to pay for them to take out of the paywall!
Vexing! Hmmm... I wonder if the IEEE is like that? Been way too many years since I presented a paper there (and not likely to happen again). My vague memory is I retained only the ability to distribute for educational purposes. At other conferences I usually retained ownership of the original paper to distribute as I saw fit, though there were often limitations (could not publish in a competing journal or magazine, for instance). For online postings I usually retain all rights. But I am not a lawyer so have no idea the legality of any of this.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AES conference program is finally available. I thought I post it for members to see what the buzz is about and whether there are any talks of interest: https://aesny23.sched.com/

AES-23_1200x675.png.webp

You might see some familiar names there from ASR. :)

I am especially interested in the talk about B&K 5128 headphone preference curves/listening tests. Author had contacted me in advance about it.
Congrats on the paper (pity we can't read it) but any feedback on "the talk about B&K 5128 headphone preference curves/listening tests" @amirm

Top Bottom