• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Engineering Society 2023 Conference

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Danes ans Japanese agreeing on a preference curve is not a big deal. Get Danes and Swedes agree to it and I will call that universal.
They will agree if you submit them to a blind test. But when they find out they agree they will claim the test invalid :)

ThomasXia

It might be easier to interpret if you order the mean ratings from highest to lowest - I did this and removed the 2-3 modifications they made to the 8 headphones as I was less interesting in that , although it might be the focus of a different question,

Thank you for the analysis provided a lot.

However, I personally believe that the medians are more persuasive than the means for drawing a conclusion, especially for data that do not follow a normal distribution.

Last edited:

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
No doubt the department's been at the forefront of audio research for years. It's just regrettable that some there took a turn to hi rez promotion for awhile (this was work from Woszczyk's lab) . I think SO's doctorate took place after the hi rez woo period, but I could be wrong, and I don't know who his thesis advisor was.
I went back to McGill to do a PhD in 2000 at the age of 40 and had already published papers and conducted research in the industry and knew going into it what I wanted study and had a fair amount of control over my topic. Bill Martens was my advisor although initially it was someone else and the suggested topic was not something I wanted to do so I changed advisors.

Last edited:

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Thank you for the analysis provided a lot.

However, I personally believe that the medians are more persuasive than the means for drawing a conclusion, especially for data that do not follow a normal distribution.
If you do a repeated measure of analysis and some post hoc tests you will find which comparison of means are and aren’t statistically significant.

I also did some nonparametric tests which makes no assumptions about distribution of the data.

The amount of data (16k rows) caused an overflow error in my program so I had to stop. Waiting for support to respond.

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It might be easier to interpret if you order the mean ratings from highest to lowest - I did this and removed the 2-3 modifications they made to the 8 headphones as I was less interesting in that , although it might be the focus of a different question,

The graph below is the mean based on all ratings ( all listeners, programs, repeats). They didn't code the data according to location (Dane vs Japanese) so we can't analyze it based on culture.

The ratings of the headphone curves is remarkably similar to our work in terms of Harman Target being preferred, diffuse and free field rated progressively lower. It is amazing to me and one of the co-authors I spoke with that two separate experiments using different subjects and methodologies can some up with similar conclusions.

They did use two of our standard tracks (Jennifer Warnes "bird on a wire" and Tracy Chapman "FastCar" so there was that commonality in methods. They also used a virtual headphone method applying equalization filters to a replicator headphone so that rapid A/B comparisons can be made using a MUSHRA method. They used a closed headphone which to me is surprising because open backs generally eliminate the issue of leakage among subjects.

View attachment 319570
Upon further examination you can analyze the data based on Danish vs Japanese listeners because they’ve coded the accessors with the letters DK and JP followed by a number.

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
In a nutshell, the 5128 is supposed to extend the 4128 at HF with other improvements but is also supposed to meet the same standards within the highest common range.
To make it simple, below 8000kHz and after free-field compensation, they should be nearly identical; note that B&K provide FF compensation curves up to 20kHz.
The fact, as measured by me AND other massive corporations I am in touch with AND by the B&K employees that came to my facilities to try to explain that I was hallucinating during my evaluation of 5128, is that it is just not true. Either one is wrong/inaccurate or both are... and I am not talking about 1 or 2dB...

That is all I am prepared to discuss publicly although it's been 2 years almost to the day that I (and others) have been waiting for an explanation from B&K after I filed a report with them.
Very interesting, I'm curious. . We have measured the free-field blocked ear HRTFs on 350+ people and the mannequins including the 5128.

So we can try to replicate your analysis to see if we get the same results. Is this something you are willing to share, privately, of course?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@amirm, if you will be in NY for this, it would be great to get your opinions and to find out what speakers they are using. The smaller room uses JBL but now that Dolby has their own large format speakers, maybe that’s that they are using.

Good luck on Wednesday. If you are allowed to share your slides after the talk, that would be great!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Please give us a little feedback of the resonance to your presentation? Hopefully everything was going well.Thanks.
Thanks and will do. FYI pre-registrations for the session have climbed to 44 people. So there is definitely interest.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

@amirm, if you will be in NY for this, it would be great to get your opinions and to find out what speakers they are using. The smaller room uses JBL but now that Dolby has their own large format speakers, maybe that’s that they are using.

Good luck on Wednesday. If you are allowed to share your slides after the talk, that would be great!
Thanks. As to that session, unfortunately my flight gets in late that night so I won't be able to attend that session.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On plane to NY. They changed schedules and mine is the first session. Almost 50 people signed up. They must be expecting someone better looking than me!!!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On plane to NY. They changed schedules and mine is the first session. Almost 50 people signed up. They must be expecting someone better looking than me!!!
Will you link us to the video of your session? That will be very interesting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I saw them capturing video at all the sessions. How they will release them, I don't know. Mostly likely it will be limited to AES members only.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes If you could secure a reprint of that on the B & K 5128................That would be GREAT............!!!!!
FYI this paper is also available on AES portal: https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=22281

I just read it. It is easier to understand than the stuff posted here. :) Alas, I still have some questions. The presentation is not until Friday. I did meet the authors but didn't have time to talk to them about their paper.

It is nice to see "audiosciencereview.com" listed in an AES paper. :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did your talk go? Did you get any comments from the Cirrus Logic authors who has a talk in their 55nm lithography for ADCs?

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see the Audio University YouTube guy is at AES and he recorded a short video - nothing much of interest in this Video other than it gives a feeling for the area with the vendors as he is just walking around outside the meeting rooms:

Looks like a much bigger event than I had imagined.

Last edited:
Top Bottom