• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CanJam SoCal 2023 (Sep 30th - Oct 1st)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand CanJam SoCal 2023 is happening next weekend. Anyone going? There seems to be some interesting seminars.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...ber-30-october-1.968887/page-14#post-17733171

3 of them sound particularly intereting to me. Hope their videos show up in YT at some point.

Myths About Measurements - Noon to 1:00p
Objective measurements are everywhere in audio. Never before has so much data been so accessible so easily, but is that a good thing? Join our panel of experts to learn why measurements shouldn’t always be trusted, why we should always take measurements with a sizable grain of salt, why we should never treat them as absolutes, and how objective measurements are often quite subjective. Most importantly, learn about what’s being done to address these flaws, to achieve better clarity for us all moving forward.
SPEAKERS: Konstantin Davy (Oratory1990); Blaine LaCross (Mad Economist); Cameron Oatley (GoldenSound)

The Influence of Geometry, Directivity and Acoustical Impedance of Headphones on Sound Perception - 5:00p - 6:00p

Today, many enthusiasts measure the frequency response of their headphones. But the perceived sound of a headphone is dependent on more than what frequency response curves can show. Their geometries and acoustical impedances can greatly influence their perceived sound, as both the shape and directivity of the sound field within an ear cup are crucial to our spatial perception. Join legendary headphone de- signer and acoustical engineer Axel Grell as he shows us that what we hear is based on much more than what we can see.
SPEAKER: Axel Grell, Founder & CEO, Grell Audio

The HARMAN Headphone Target Curve: 2023 And Beyond - 11:00a to Noon

The Harman Target is a subjectively preferred headphone frequency response that was the culmination of a 7-year scientific study on the perception and measurement of headphone sound quality. My talk summarizes what the Harman Target Curve is, how it was developed and validated, and how to best use it for interpreting and predicting how good a headphone sounds. With the introduction of new headphone test fixtures, like the B&K 5128, the future of the Harman target curve will be discussed.
SPEAKER: Dr. Sean Olive, Senior Fellow, Acoustic Research, Harman International

It's not all science and measurements and boring stuff. They also have a comedy to wrap things up on Sun evening.

How Interpolation Filters and Transients Crucially Affect Sound Quality - 3:00p to 4:00p
Join us for an invaluable hour of insight into how digital interpolation filters work. This seminar will cover: understanding the importance of interpolation filtering and transients; realizing just how much time domain performance can dictate fidelity and realism, and much more. If you didn’t understand any of that, and you are currently pursuing an endgame rig with a digital source, then this is one seminar you won’t want to miss.
SPEAKER: Rob "300Db" Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I heard about the misinformation campaign, I mean that measurement talk, a couple of days ago. Would love to hear what they are going to say. Alas, the show is pretty small and not worth the expense to fly there. I wish they would stream them but they have not 8n the past.

Chester

@amirm I can’t believe you didn’t get an invite to discuss measurements. It’s almost as if they only want to talk about measurements in a way that doesn’t hurt sponsor sales :D

kysa

I can't believe Golden Sound shares the same talking topic with oratory. Is he seriously going to talk about how he hears the difference in DACs and AMPs in front of an actual acoustical engineer? :facepalm: Anyway, i hope someone records these seminars.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't believe Golden Sound shares the same talking topic with oratory. Is he seriously going to talk about how he hears the difference in DACs and AMPs in front of an actual acoustical engineer? :facepalm: Anyway, i hope someone records these seminars.
Well, Dan Clark prefers the sound of Chord devices, thinking they render highs most naturally, and he has an Excellent Presentation on Headphone Measurements so why can't Golden Sound be a part of discussion around measurements?

whisternefet

I'm at canjam socal 23 now. The vendors have all been great. The organization of the convention not so much. I made a post in the headfi forum impressions thread saying as much and it was rapidly deleted. I messaged the mods asking what happened and no response. It's my first canjam, so I don't know if that's normal. First post on headfi I've had deleted. Weird.

whisternefet

Yeah, I wish I'd known that before taking the time, cost, and effort attending this. Paid for the weekend, and I'll likely skip Sunday.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone got any links to any videos / audio recordings from any of the seminars?

Top Bottom