• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Choose your primary listening option

• Stereo speakers

Votes: 509 33.5%
  • 2.x speaker system

Votes: 382 25.1%
  • 3.x speaker system

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • 5.x speaker system

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • 7.x or more speaker system

Votes: 67 4.4%
  • Headphones, IEM or equiv.

Votes: 238 15.7%
  • Smart speaker(s) (Alexa, Sonos, etc.)

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Soundbar or similar

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • Other (please post detail in thread)

Votes: 11 0.7%
  • Multiple Systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)

Votes: 216 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a bit overdue but was interested in how the regional poll results might impact how we interpret this poll.

So here is a summary of the poll results:

We achieved a total of 1,520 votes.
  • 33.5% 2-Channel setup and 25.1% 2.x-Channel setups
Combined almost 60% (58.6) of members are primarily stereo listeners. Considering 15.7% Use Headphones, IEM’s or equivalent. That would put the stereo listener number close to 75%. That leaves...
  • 14.2% Use Multiple systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)
  • 9.6% Use Multichannel setups (from 3.x and up)
  • 1.9% Use Smart Speakers (Alexa, Sonus, Soundbars and other)
Arguably, most multisystem listeners are likely to have one stereo setup and we know some percentage of the rest are likely listening to stereo sources. So, this pushes the stereo listening to around 90% (possibly more). Considering most of the music sources are primarily stereo, am not surprised.

Circling back to subwoofer use. Combining the stereo and multichannel numbers would say that a bit more than half of them have a subwoofer. This might be an interesting follow-up poll. If you are not using subwoofer(s), why not?

With 14%, the multisystem group stands out enough to drill down on it and detail further. Special thanks for Amir and Adam sponsoring and instigating this activity!

Other thoughts or suggestions that you may have pondered about the membership? The regional location poll indicates that European members constitute the major of members while the site traffic is predominantly from North America. Without some poll of non-members, not sure we can really know specifically why, but seemingly means there is a potential for some additional membership growth.

Again, many thanks to those who participated. Expect to give members a break from more polls for a while, but as ASR continues to grow steadily, is useful to see if the results change. Am very much into speakers, but both my wife and father recently purchased IEMs and know all my kids own them. Seems a good move on Amir's part to measure those devices.

Happy Listening!

Rick
Except I don't think you can conclude that 50% of users use subwoofer. The poll suggest 35% + an unknown percentage of subwoofers from the multisystem group.

JakeK

Forum Donor
Except I don't think you can conclude that 50% of users use subwoofer. The poll suggest 35% + an unknown percentage of subwoofers from the multisystem group.
I agree. I voted multi system and none of mine have a subwoofer. It just doesn't seem all that necessary along with all the satellite speakers. Previously I had a 5.1 setup for the TV and 5.1 for the PC and for various reasons I haven't set those up since we moved house and it hasn't mattered to me that much. When I first got into 5.1 I felt like it was the best thing and I had to have it but that's in the past!

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe, but as I stated and with reasonable assumption that all .x users have a subwoofer, that would be a total of 517 versus the 509 of those without subwoofers. So, would be a bit more than half (of that segment of the population).

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, but as I stated and with reasonable assumption that all .x users have a subwoofer, that would be a total of 517 versus the 509 of those without subwoofers. So, would be a bit more than half (of that segment of the population).
I suppose you can word it like that, but the easiest way of looking at it is that the figure will be somewhere between 35-50% of all users have subwoofers because we don't know how many users with subwoofers sit in the "Multiple Systems" category (with the "Multiple Systems" category accounting for 14% of the total votes).

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose you can word it like that, but the easiest way of looking at it is that the figure will be somewhere between 35-50% of all users have subwoofers because we don't know how many users with subwoofers sit in the "Multiple Systems" category (with the "Multiple Systems" category accounting for 14% of the total votes).

I stated my conditions and the rationale in my response. No major decisions are being made based on this poll otherwise I would get into other disclaimers. Since knew I originally was not as specific as I could have been about the subwoofer claim, you caught me and hopefully it is clear now.:)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the attic the audio mancave is partly treated to get a acceptable reverb time. Room correction software is the finishing touch to listen to a pristine balanced sound.
Downstairs in the living room i use a Bose Wave Music System mostly listening to dab radio. A Rapsberry Pi connected to my 3TB HDD let me listen to lossless audio thru my bluetooth Sony WH-1000 headphone corrected by Wavelet house wide.

Last edited:

MMahlke

I have a 5.1 surround for my main tv room about 15 year old Def Tech pro-cinema and a Yamaha aventage 750 receiver, Sony 4k blu ray disk player. Newest system is 2 channel Arcam sa 20 and Heco Aurora 700 speakers. Pro-ject debut carbon with Ortofon 2m red, Yamaha cd s 303 cd player and a WiiM pro plus streamer will be here tomorrow. I have been buying systems for 45 years and this Arcam amp and Heco speakers are by far the best I've ever had.

dzerig

I mostly use headphones so I don't bother my roommates, if they are out then I blast 2.0.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mostly use headphones so I don't bother my roommates, if they are out then I blast 2.0.
Very polite. I do the same.

Top Bottom