• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs? And why do you find this?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recognize the points that you bring up. Our circumstances were different and our choices have been different. I had the time to rip CDs and was willing to make the effort.

I waited to start moving to files rather than CDs until I could store music as Flac files rather than MP3s. My reason was simple: I wanted the same music on computer files as on the CDs I had purchased. I expected to need 1 TB of storage before I stopped acquiring music. At the time that meant 4 250 GB hard drives. I delayed purchasing drives until I needed them; technology advanced and I wound up using 2 500 GB drives.

The ID3 tag standards did get better for classical music. The problem was that ripping s/w and music layers didn't use the extra capabilities for tagging MP3s or Flac files. JRiver s/w was by far the best s/w for classical music that I found. I could populate whatever tags I wanted when I ripped CDs and I could use any of those tags in browsing and selecting music.

Wombat talked about wading through layers of menus to find music. JRiver allowed me to define views that showed me what was in my collection. Here is a screenshot of the view I've used for classical music. I can scroll through the list of composers, artists (performers), works and versions in any order. When I select a composer, the other lists are narrowed to just those tag values present in files with the select composer tag value.

major_composers_view.jpg

With love and respect to all, especially "Old Listener", and sure, different strokes for different folks, but if this old listener had to face a screen like that in order to play a record, he would rather hang himself. I have computers, naturally, but find no charm or joy in them. Total buzzkill, which is the opposite of what I need.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

With love and respect to all, especially "Old Listener", and sure, different strokes for different folks, but if this old listener had to face a screen like that in order to play a record, he would rather hang himself. I have computers, naturally, but find no charm or joy in them. Total buzzkill, which is the opposite of what I need.
Yes, while it is subjective, I imagine for most people that will be less pleasant (both aesthetically and informatically), than a shelf of CDs, with their attractive pictures, well organized information and liner notes. And besides, you don't need to distract yourself with a computer screen, to play them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I listen to much more music now with everything on my server and, for me, that's all that counts.
@MattHooper , I'm confused why you would give this thread a like when your a tireless vinyl supporter here?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, while it is subjective, I imagine for most people that will be less pleasant (both aesthetically and informatically), than a shelf of CDs, with their attractive pictures, well organized information and liner notes. And besides, you don't need to distract yourself with a computer screen, to play them.
Hummm, You can't have it both ways, distracted by a computer screen or a very pleasant reading experience of the teeny tiny CD booklet fonts.
Jethro Tull - Benefit
Benefit.png

Benefit2.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No. I'm not using FLAC, I've got Apple lossless. My DAPs seem to have more low-level sonic info. I'm convinced that CDs have additional power draws that modulate the bit-stream that the file on Micro-SD does not.
Ihaveneitherthewillnorthemeans. However,I would be interested in the results should someone set up such a DBT.
But Robin, if your going to make statements about what you hear, with a supposition of the underlying cause, the responsibility to present evidence in support falls to you, not someone else. On a scientific forum such as this I find the reality of your claims highly doubtful.

Robin L

Master Contributor
But Robin, if your going to make statements about what you hear, with a supposition of the underlying cause, the responsibility to present evidence in support falls to you, not someone else. On a scientific forum such as this I find the reality of your claims highly doubtful.
One more time. I have neither the desire or the means. You're overdoing this. I stated an opinion. I do not have the means, a lot of people do not have the means. It would make for an interesting test. Someone else can do it.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more time. I have neither the desire or the means. You're overdoing this. I stated an opinion. I do not have the means, a lot of people do not have the means. It would make for an interesting test. Someone else can do it.
But then what is the value of opinions? Why voice what is in effect a random thought? Before putting pixals to screen, one should, I think, take the trouble to investigate (fact check in modern parlance) an opinion so that at least one has a hypothesis, if not a fully worked theory.

S

Wombat

Master Contributor
The old EBBOM

Seriously. Most of us can be out-knowledged, out-experienced, out-wisdomed, out-understandinged, out-perceived and out-thunk. Realising when it is happening is the problem. That takes a knowledge of one's limitations.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
But then what is the value of opinions? Why voice what is in effect a random thought? Before putting pixals to screen, one should, I think, take the trouble to investigate (fact check in modern parlance) an opinion so that at least one has a hypothesis, if not a fully worked theory.

S
What's the value in asking me to do something I can't save to bully me?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
One more time. I have neither the desire or the means. You're overdoing this. I stated an opinion. I do not have the means, a lot of people do not have the means. It would mjake for an interesting test. Someone else can do it.

"...I'm convinced that CDs have additional power draws that modulate the bit-stream that the file on Micro-SD does not..."

Thats the way a lot of hifi snake oil starts. It sounds technical and it sounds somehow logical. But it's just a believe and thats useless without a proof.

Wombat

Master Contributor
What's the value in asking me to do something I can't save to bully me?

You hadn't done this in forming a stated opinion? Do you understand ASR, now?

kach22i

Yes. And even sticking to contemporary examples, it's so personality-dependent.

I have a friend who, if I say "Let's go out to a nice steakhouse" he'd think I'm off my rocker. He's one of those meat-cookin'-and-proud-of-it BBQ guys so he'd say "Why would I ever go out to a restaurant when I can cook steak just as good or better at home? I don't have to be around all those other people in the restaurant either." Which, given his goals, makes perfect sense. Whereas for me I'm not a home-body, and I just love getting out of the house, having an experience of going somewhere, to a nice restaurant, nice service, the hub-bub of the crowd. It's all part of the experience that elevates my meal, for me.

There's a similar divide when it comes to physical media, those who say "why would I ever bother with all that physical media stuff when I can bypass it and access my music instantly? It's all about the music!" Whereas those who like a certain physical media find what is an uncessary "bother" to the other person is part of the attraction, and elevates the experience.
I recently read a review of a turntable that takes 12 seconds to get up to 33-1/3 rpm.

I've also read about certain CD players that take even more time before pushing play happens.

In each case I show very little interest in the product.

However I still think those two products beat the snot out of file search and management that seems to be the mainstay today.

I just do not view adding complexity to my life as enjoyment.

I guess one could teach a monkey to play an LP or CD, can the same be said of today's technology?

Robin L

Master Contributor
You hadn't done this in forming a stated opinion? Do you understand ASR, now?
I can't do a DBT with what I have, don't have the technical means. OP question asks for an opinion, not a conclusion drawn from testing involving technical research.

Do you understand the English language now?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MattHooper , I'm confused why you would give this thread a like when your a tireless vinyl supporter here?

Perhaps a closer read of the OP ?:

The CD (or vinyl) format encourages you to focus on what you are doing, while playing on a computer encourages the opposite mentality. The "inconvenience" of the CD (or vinyl) format is also at least a little more similar to the constraints in listening to a live concert, and prevents you from rapidly switching between different genres or albums.

The OP has posted about the appeal of physical media for music listening, which as he recognizes applies to both CD and vinyl, and asked people if they agree or could offer other observations. Hence, participation in thread.

Hope that helps. :)

Old Listener

I guess one could teach a monkey to play an LP or CD, can the same be said of today's technology?

Can you teach a monkey to browse ASR and make posts? To be consistent, you should stop reading ASR and simplify your life. ;)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However I still think those two products beat the snot out of file search and management that seems to be the mainstay today.

Understandable.

On the other hand, there are those who enjoy the process of organizing their music collection digitally, tagging things in a way they find most useful, and find satisfaction with their end product of a well-organized music system. As they say, many things worth wanting take work to get there.

In my job working in sound, I'm "forced" to do this type of organization, and there is some satisfaction in creating a well-organized sound libary.
But then, the fact I'm doing this type of stuff all day long for my work is another reason why I find it less appealing to also make it part of my play-time.

I hate gardening, and sometimes cooking stresses me out. Others find it their way to relax. Different people, different circumstances.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have solved all problems with either choice, and have taken advantage of all benefits of either choice.

I listen to digital rips while balancing cardboard LP album covers on my head.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not at all, streaming > local file > CD for me.

Only issue is I can't have 2 PC, and I need a gaming PC... So even on idle, my PC is close to 30db.

Top Bottom