• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need to listen flac. Which approach is best to use?

Steiners

Hi all,

I'm new to the HIFI world and trying to get the approach is right for me before I buy anything. I would like to hear the opinions of experienced in this topic.

Goal: Play mostly chamber classical music saved in flac format. Music is sorted into folders. Nothing else is needed. Place for speakers is only on shelves, maximum 0.2m from the wall, distance to the listener 3-4m. Budget is 500-600€.

After googling, I came up with two options:

1 . Android phone + LDAC -> amp -> speakers
+: Any player can be used. No need remote control
-: lower than CD quality. But the question is will I be able to hear it? I'm not young and not audiophile.
2. Computer -> (dac -> amp) -> speakers
+: maximum quality
+: foobar2000 ;-)
-: computer always on
-: It’s not clear how to ensure high-quality transfer from a computer to a DAC. I've read about problems with the built-in optical outputs and USB transfers.

There were two more options, but I discarded them (maybe I’m wrong):
a) Active speakers. In my budget I only see monitors, but 3-4 meters may be far + this is a tool for work, not pleasure, right?
b) Computer -> streamer(DNLA) + phone -> (dac -> amp) -> speakers. Here, firstly, I'm tied to the streamer app (does it see the folders?). Secondly, I'm paying for a bunch of features that I don't need. And I get all the disadvantages of option 2.

So, what's your opinion? I would be grateful for advice on choosing a concept and specific examples of equipment.

Audiotone

Look at this...made quite a few of these on a raspberry... cheapest way to go.
Add a dac/amp and speakers...

staticV3

Master Contributor
lower than CD quality. But the question is will I be able to hear it?
No.

It’s not clear how to ensure high-quality transfer from a computer to a DAC
Use ASIO or Wasapi Exclusive. It's really simple.

this is a tool for work, not pleasure, right?
This is a tool for accurate music payback. Nothing makes it unsuitable for HiFi listening.

So, what's your opinion? I would be grateful for advice on choosing a concept and specific examples of equipment.
Budget is 500-600€.
Please tell us what needs to be bought and what you already have.
Do you have a PC? Phone? Amp? Speakers?
Or do you want to buy all of these with a 500-600€ budget?

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s not clear how to ensure high-quality transfer from a computer to a DAC. I've read about problems with the built-in optical outputs and USB transfers.
High quality transfer from computer to DAC is easily accomplished, there are no issues at all.

Ground loops are the only thing to be aware of. But don't believe all the nonsense out there about USB and computers being noisy, because they are not.

Waxx

Major Contributor
JRiver or similar software on a computer is the best way. A computer can be a lot, it does not have to be big or expensive for audio. I use an Intel NUC, that is overkill. Many use an Mac Mini for that (even the most basic one is good enough). And many mini and silent computers exist, from 500€/$ and up. They are small, often silent (check that before buy) and in almost all cases good enough for audio listening purpose. Even a Raspberry Pi (that is very cheap) is good enough (like described above) but need some technical skill to set it up right.

Smartphone over BT is not good, due to the quality limitations of the BT protocol. It's not the smartphone that is the limitation, it's the wireless connection to your amp. If you got a setup that streams over wifi from a smartphone, that is also a possibility (but i don't know ready build systems for that).

For speakers and amps we need to know how big your space is and how far you sit, and what response you expect. But there are cheaper options that are great (see review list on this site). Many can receive signal over lan, so only a network cable is needed to feed them. For passive idem, there are many amps that can connect to computers (over lan or over USB) that can feed passive speakers. A good example of that is the Audiophonics DA-S250NC (tested here). If you build a setup with this amp with a small silent minicomputer at the input (by USB) and a pair of passive speakers like a Kef R3, you have a great (measuring) system for a few grands...

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
Android phone + LDAC -> amp -> speakers
LDAC is a Bluetooth protocol so you need and amp/DAC with a Bluetooth receiver supporting LDAC.
Computer -> (dac -> amp) -> speakers
You might use an Android phone as the "computer". If needed it could even play all audio at its native sample rate. https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/AndroidMediaPlayers.htm

A affordable streaming option is the WiiM especially is you do have a good DAC already. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../wiim-pro-review-measurements-streamer.42300/

D

Deleted member 48726

Hi there

I don't know if this is a solution to what you want to do or if you even have Spotify?

I have been out of the loop for some years in regards to locally stored files. But when I did that I used Plex which (at that time) worked well for all types of audio and movie files.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as you have a headphone output on your Android 'phone, you don't need an extra DAC as there's already a perfectly good one in the 'phone. That will allow more budget for loudspeakers, and I would earnestly suggest you get some active 'speakers that you can drive directly from the 'phone.

S.

Apesbrain

I would be grateful for advice on choosing a concept and specific examples of equipment.
Buy a WiiM Amp, a pair of bookshelf speakers, and some cables. Plug USB flash drive with FLAC files into Amp rear panel. Control via phone/tablet.

EDIT: I've just learned there is a beta WiiM app for Windows and MacOS if you prefer to manage via PC.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steiners

No.

Use ASIO or Wasapi Exclusive. It's really simple.

This is a tool for accurate music payback. Nothing makes it unsuitable for HiFi listening.

Please tell us what needs to be bought and what you already have.
Do you have a PC? Phone? Amp? Speakers?
Or do you want to buy all of these with a 500-600€ budget?
So far I only have a computer and headphones.

OP
S

Steiners

For speakers and amps we need to know how big your space is and how far you sit, and what response you expect. But there are cheaper options that are great (see review list on this site). Many can receive signal over lan, so only a network cable is needed to feed them. For passive idem, there are many amps that can connect to computers (over lan or over USB) that can feed passive speakers. A good example of that is the Audiophonics DA-S250NC (tested here). If you build a setup with this amp with a small silent minicomputer at the input (by USB) and a pair of passive speakers like a Kef R3, you have a great (measuring) system for a few grands...

I have silent computer. My room is 3,5X4x3(H) und I can sit about 3-4m from the front of speakers. Kef R3 is out of budget. I have already read about Kef LS50 Wireless and I like this solution, including aesthetics. But the budget...

OP
S

Steiners

LDAC is a Bluetooth protocol so you need and amp/DAC with a Bluetooth receiver supporting LDAC.

Yes, I found some amps with LDAC with good reviews, like aiyima 08pro etc. They are cheap and I can invest more in speakers

-Matt-

If the budget could be stretched a little then a used pair of Kef LS50 Wireless might be within reach.
Could they fit the bill?

OP
S

Steiners

Hi there

I don't know if this is a solution to what you want to do or if you even have Spotify?

Thanks, but I don't consider this option. I prefer to have everything at my disposal and not depend on the net

OP
S

Steiners

If the budget could be stretched a little then a used pair of Kef LS50 Wireless might be within reach.
Could they fit the bill?
Oh yes, this is a great temptation and seems to be what I need. ;) I'm already looking at used items stores.

OP
S

Steiners

As long as you have a headphone output on your Android 'phone, you don't need an extra DAC as there's already a perfectly good one in the 'phone. That will allow more budget for loudspeakers, and I would earnestly suggest you get some active 'speakers that you can drive directly from the 'phone.

S.
This is a really interesting idea. I'll try to look for reseachers or reviews on this topic.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have silent computer. My room is 3,5X4x3(H) und I can sit about 3-4m from the front of speakers. Kef R3 is out of budget. I have already read about Kef LS50 Wireless and I like this solution, including aesthetics. But the budget...
I'd buy one of these speakers:

Then to connect to your PC or phone, you have a bunch of options:
-Straight analog to your PC or phone
-SMSL C100/PS100 for USB/Bluetooth/HDMI ARC
-WiiM Mini/Pro/Pro Plus for Bluetooth/DLNA

It really depends on what's most convenient for you. There's no right or wrong here.

Propheticus

Other option:
- Get a (streaming) AMP or AVR that supports network streams. Either DLNA (UPnP) or via their own app. Many brands have their own 'ecosystem' app and allow you to stream from your phone. E.g. Sonos, Denon/Marantz (HEOS), NAD (Bluesound), etc, etc.

Many of these apps also allow you to control DLNA network streams (or simply accessing network share folders) from your pc to the amp with your phone. So either Phone > WiFi > Amp or PC > LAN/WiFi > AMP is a possibility.

Edit, pretty much this:
Buy a WiiM Amp, a pair of bookshelf speakers, and some cables. Plug USB flash drive with FLAC files into Amp rear panel. Control via phone/tablet.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You will have to stretch the budget anyway. Pair of Kali LP 8 v2 about 500$ or if you can find something better with 8" woffer's for less or equal money but not smaller than that for 3~4 m especially without sub's. If it's a normal standard case windows PC and you might want to expand the setup one day take a look for audio card like Creative AE-5 Plus or Z SE (-1 dB top or 93 in windows so that it doesn't clip in case of Z SE) for 150/100 $. If not budget unbalanced DAC or even CS43131 USB dongle will be sufficient (30~120 $). You can probably pass with Foobar and free for it room correction plugin or consider JRiver for WDM Windows driver (if and when you want to play from different apps, browser and such) in that case also JRemote 2 (smartphone app).
By all means UMIK-1 (70~100$) to use with REW.

JeremyFife

Hi,
You don't say how loud you like to listen, which determines how much power you may need to produce that ( measured as spl... 70 dB is moderately loud, enough for me). Additionally, Chamber music has a large dynamic range - and you will want extra power to properly deal with that.
I'd echo @ZolaIII 's recommendation of active speakers like the Kali LP 8. It's a more efficient use of the amplification.
You will have enough for a decent DAC with a volume control. Use your computer for streaming into the DAC for now.
That should fit your budget and sound lovely

Enjoy :)

Top Bottom