• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs? And why do you find this?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There is something i have on some of my cd's that I do not get on files: signed lyrics from the author such as Hellhammer's dedication I have on Mayhem's De Misterios Dominus Sathanas. I have a nice extra amount of signed and dedicated CD booklets.

So yes, the object aspect is fethishization in its purest form, for reproduction purposes it is basically identical.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mayhem's De Misterios Dominus Sathanas.
*De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

I'm sure Hellhammer would be annoyed if he saw your typo. :p

Vacceo

Major Contributor
*De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

I'm sure Hellhammer would be annoyed if he saw your typo. :p
Dom is a shortening for Dominus. The other typos are the autocorrect :D

I have some other signed booklets. From top of my mind, Carcass' Heartwork, Immolation's Close to a World Below, Marduk's Plague Ángel...

None of them sound better un CD than flac, in fact both go through the same dac and amp, but the booklets are nice. :)

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dom is a shortening for Dominus.

Ah, the liberties we take! :p "Dom" is the Dutch word for "dumb". I am going to call the album The Mysteriis Dumb Sathanas from now on.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Ah, the liberties we take! :p "Dom" is the Dutch word for "dumb". I am going to call the album The Mysteriis Dumb Sathanas from now on.
Imagine how fun is to drive a Mitsubishi Pajero in Spain... :D

So by all means, nothing like using homophones on your local language or double meanings. ;)

clearnfc

I've spent the last couple of years ripping a lot more of my CDs (around another 1000 classical and jazz CDs) to FLAC. However, I sometimes wonder why I bother.

I've re-discovered in the last months that is it far more enjoyable to just play the original CDs on a CD player, than sending them through a separate DAC.

1. Having a real physical CD, allows the album to be objectified in the mind as a real object. This allows your mind to categorize your music, including where and when you bought the album (thereby associating the music to a specific time and place in your life).

The picture on the album cover also adds to this and helps to remind you of when you first bought the album.

2. Physically putting the CD in a CD player, allows you to pause and focus your intentions on what you are actually going to do - which is: listening seriously to music. Convenience can be a negative thing in this context, as it causes a loss of focus.

Listening to music seriously is like a meditative practice and you should focus on what you are doing.

The CD (or vinyl) format encourages you to focus on what you are doing, while playing on a computer encourages the opposite mentality. The "inconvenience" of the CD (or vinyl) format is also at least a little more similar to the constraints in listening to a live concert, and prevents you from rapidly switching between different genres or albums. Therefore it is more similar to the intentions of the composer, who would expect the audience to wait patiently in a concert hall before the performance.

This is important because music is better listened to distinctly - switching too much between different albums, can be like blurring together paint, creating a muddy mix of colours in your mind.

3. Having and reading the physical liner notes, is one of the great joys of a (at least classical) music collection. Why would anyone not see the loss of them as a huge minus? While the quality of liner notes varies, a lot of them contain excellent and informative writing, which can't be found anywhere else. For example, I particularly enjoy reading the liner notes in Colombia Jazz Albums. While I often enjoy Deutsche Grammophon liner notes for their focus on writing about the particular performance and performers (I can read about the composition in a book, but not about the particular performance).

4. One of the benefits of serious listening is to escape from the distractions of modern life, including the computer screen. A traditional hi-fi system experience can contribute to this, while playing FLACs forcing you back to interacting with a screen.

When I play physical CDs, I find that I'm encouraged to sit down and listen, or even to read a book. On the other hand, with FLACs - I often browse the internet while listening, distracting one's attention.

-------- ------------

Anyone else agree or have other observations, or is this just me?

I just saw this thread... Well, its up to individual preferences. Some pple do still pefer physical media, some dont.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I personally find too much choice can be a negative sometimes with streaming, both music and video services. Sometimes it's much easier to just pick from ones own collection, rather than wading through so many options. Both have their pro's and con's I suppose.

JSmith
I feel like it contributes to ADD and reduces focused listening time.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

There is something i have on some of my cd's that I do not get on files: signed lyrics from the author such as Hellhammer's dedication I have on Mayhem's De Misterios Dominus Sathanas. I have a nice extra amount of signed and dedicated CD booklets.

So yes, the object aspect is fethishization in its purest form, for reproduction purposes it is basically identical.
But the experience of playing the music is quite different. I guess what I'm saying is that the quality of the sound is only one part of this experience.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
But the experience of playing the music is quite different. I guess what I'm saying is that the quality of the sound is only one part of this experience.
Absolutely! Touch, smell, sound, vision... They all contribute to the experience. That´s why I still listen to a technical piece of crap called Deathcrush from Mayhem, because it reminds me from the year I lived in Bergen next to the famous Fantoft church...

Loathecliff

"Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs?"

No. One more limiting link removed from the chain.
The silver disc was always going to be a passing irritation. (Though it was a retail wet-dream. Regurgitate at triple the price).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've spent the last couple of years ripping a lot more of my CDs (around another 1000 classical and jazz CDs) to FLAC. However, I sometimes wonder why I bother.

I've re-discovered in the last months that is it far more enjoyable to just play the original CDs on a CD player, than sending them through a separate DAC.

1. Having a real physical CD, allows the album to be objectified in the mind as a real object. This allows your mind to categorize your music, including where and when you bought the album (thereby associating the music to a specific time and place in your life).

The picture on the album cover also adds to this and helps to remind you of when you first bought the album.

2. Physically putting the CD in a CD player, allows you to pause and focus your intentions on what you are actually going to do - which is: listening seriously to music. Convenience can be a negative thing in this context, as it causes a loss of focus.

Listening to music seriously is like a meditative practice and you should focus on what you are doing.

The CD (or vinyl) format encourages you to focus on what you are doing, while playing on a computer encourages the opposite mentality. The "inconvenience" of the CD (or vinyl) format is also at least a little more similar to the constraints in listening to a live concert, and prevents you from rapidly switching between different genres or albums. Therefore it is more similar to the intentions of the composer, who would expect the audience to wait patiently in a concert hall before the performance.

This is important because music is better listened to distinctly - switching too much between different albums, can be like blurring together paint, creating a muddy mix of colours in your mind.

3. Having and reading the physical liner notes, is one of the great joys of a (at least classical) music collection. Why would anyone not see the loss of them as a huge minus? While the quality of liner notes varies, a lot of them contain excellent and informative writing, which can't be found anywhere else. For example, I particularly enjoy reading the liner notes in Colombia Jazz Albums. While I often enjoy Deutsche Grammophon liner notes for their focus on writing about the particular performance and performers (I can read about the composition in a book, but not about the particular performance).

4. One of the benefits of serious listening is to escape from the distractions of modern life, including the computer screen. A traditional hi-fi system experience can contribute to this, while playing FLACs forcing you back to interacting with a screen.

When I play physical CDs, I find that I'm encouraged to sit down and listen, or even to read a book. On the other hand, with FLACs - I often browse the internet while listening, distracting one's attention.

-------- ------------

Anyone else agree or have other observations, or is this just me?
1 & 2 & 3
Pictures, notes, etc are all available on-line if you want it. Many of my rips, etc have that stuff included in the rips.

Amen,
When I LISTEN TO MUSIC everything else is just a distraction..
I want the screen and room lights OFF and be able to focus on just one physical sense, my hearing.
And for that I want the best, cleanest, most noise and distraction free source available! At that point it doesn't really matter what the digital source is. CDs, Lossless Files, DVD, SACD, BluRay are all top shelf with the later four being somewhat superior only in the fact they can deliver longer playing time without any interruptions or distractions. What a fantastic world we audiophiles live in today.
All Else Is Gaslight. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess what I'm saying is that the quality of the sound is only one part of this experience.
But for an "Audiophile" it's the most important part.
All else doesn't even contain the word "Audio". ;)

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

But for an "Audiophile" it's the most important part.
All else doesn't even contain the word "Audio". ;)
But if something encourages a person to focus on the sound, to read liner notes, etc?

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Personally, I think listening to CDs on a CD player is a PITA. I use them once to rip, then it's archival storage for them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But if something encourages a person to focus on the sound, to read liner notes, etc?
Not that I don't enjoy reading liner notes or learning the song lyrics at times.
But when I want to Listen to music, all else is just a distraction.
Turn off the lights and zone in on the sound.. ;)

Top Bottom