• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why buy or use CDs when streaming is more convenient?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not do both? I like free internet radio for the same reason I like RADIO radio: There's the element of chance, and it's a handy way to be exposed to stuff I might not otherwise seek out on my own. There may be algorithms creating the playlist, but it's not customized for me personally, and I prefer it that un-personalized approach.

But I still buy a few CDs from time to time, because sometimes I want to listen to complete albums without interruption, and some content is region-restricted, and unless I want to spoof my location via VPN (ugh) it may be easier just to import physical media. I also do this with DVD and Bluray movies too.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
You have a tractor that consumes people?!
If you met my neighbors down the street you know what the term "Biowaste" actually means. I used to actually say, "I've never met a person I didn't
find something to like about them. They were no acception. As long s they are anywhere except around me, I really like that.

All kidding aside it takes very little in the way of fuel processing to make a good enough biofuel. The trick is always filtering the mess.
A lot of stuff will go boom at 2300 psi. The older naturally aspirated diesels have very high compression ratios. 20% waste oil and
red diesel were used a lot in the 50s through the late 80s. If the mix wouldn't have plugged the newer fuel nozzles they would still be
putting the drain oil back into the fuel tank. Now that will blow the injector tip off and knock a hole in a piston. If your lucky.

The old days of priming a diesel to get the thing to run are OVER. HPR systems and electric lift pumps are all the rage with 30,000 psi
being the norm vs. 600-2500 psi rail pressure max prior to HPR systems.

I can't even stand the small of # 1 or 2 diesel any more.

Skunk is around the hen house. Gotta go.

Regards

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only that. Much of the physical media that hobbyists hold onto, not to mention their audio gear, will become nothing more than a burden to their loved ones when they're gone.
For a few hours work they will inherit an estate worth hundreds of thousands, I doubt they'll be complaining about the 'burden' of a few hundred CDs

JSmith

Master Contributor
For a few hours work they will inherit an estate worth hundreds of thousands, I doubt they'll be complaining about the 'burden' of a few hundred CDs
Surprisingly and unfortunately most people don't understand the value of collections when people pass away and often they are just discarded or given to charity for sale in charity shops.

JSmith

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are still listening to Nirvana (Must have listened to it close to a hundred times since it was released lol), and thats your priority, well stick to your cds.
Played it to death (taped copy) when it came out. not been near it in 30 years. bought the original CD release this summer.

I use Youtube to check out recent music, occasionally find something but it's mostly poor or derivative. If I like it I order the CD.

There's a lot from the 1970s I haven't got round to yet. Only recently got into Can. It's still new music to me regardless of it being early 1970s.

If an album isn't worth listening to many times it's not any good..

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprisingly and unfortunately most people don't understand the value of collections when people pass away and often they are just discarded or given to charity for sale in charity shops.

JSmith
well they can do what they want I won't be in any position to care. I doubt they will give the house and the cash to charity shop though :)

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For those still buying cd's - how many a month?
Whats the cost of a new release these dsys?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's the same (endless) argument as for vinyl really... (although obviously the potential sound quality is better on CD than vinyl).

Subjective;
I want to! Artwork, nostalgia, tactile experience

Objective (sort of);
Choice of master/version, physical ownership, payment to the artist.

I've mostly left physical media behind. I still buy the odd record or CD though. I'll usually buy vinyl for new music, and CD when I want a specific older release (and the cost of a record is stupid). I rip them.

Mostly I want to say 'thank you' to the artist but I do like something physical in the rack - to jog my ageing memory if nothing else:)

An earlier comment about looking through someone's music collection resonates - I find that difficult with digital. My kids have no issues though.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Fortunately, at least one of my older sons is still in a band and quite into recorded music (all formats) - he at least I know would help my wife disperse my music media and equipment decently, while keeping some things for himself - but I do still plan to slim down things a bit over the next decade.

I mostly buy used CDs and LPs these days, every now and then buy new. I just got the Caroline Polachek album "Desire, I want to..." for about $23, because I really like her stuff. Have decided to pass on the new Stones and Beatles "Now and Then" because I just don't like them enough.

I pretty much always buy ECM jazz when I find it in my record stores, which is not often.

Every now and then I get a bug for a "must have" vinyl item, the last one I felt that strongly about was The Replacements' "Let It Be." I found a re-release copy the same day my son found and bought for me an original one from Twin-Tone. So I have two...

It ebbs and flows...I don't sweat it too much. It helps to not have a completist mindset about artists or categories. I discovered that long ago with regard to books/literature...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
For those still buying cd's - how many a month?
Whats the cost of a new release these dsys?

Between 10-20€ per album. But that’s for imported stuff with VAT and shipping on top.
But over the last 12 months I did probably spend 800€ on stuff that was not on tidal, qobuz and only a small amount was on Apple Music.

But even on Apple Music they sometimes have not all tracks of a album and tidal used to have some but it probably got removed years ago.

Some older used CDs here and there on eBay for 3-10€ .

NoMoFoNo

Nope. What happens is that an overwhelmed and grieving family comes in, sees what you considered your 'collection' as a hoard of mostly unwanted junk and hires a company that specializes in liquidating estates. Items go for pennies on the dollar or get tossed into the landfill. Unless you own truly special or museum-quality pieces of art, your estate is mostly junk to everyone else in the world.

The kindest thing an old/ailing person can do for their loved ones is to winnow down their belongings before they die.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only that. Much of the physical media that hobbyists hold onto, not to mention their audio gear, will become nothing more than a burden to their loved ones when they're gone.
Have you looked at the prices of used LPs. Something that was $2, 5 years ago, is now $12.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. What happens is that an overwhelmed and grieving family comes in, sees what you considered your 'collection' as a hoard of mostly unwanted junk and hires a company that specializes in liquidating estates. Items go for pennies on the dollar or get tossed into the landfill. Unless you own truly special or museum-quality pieces of art, your estate is mostly junk to everyone else in the world.

The kindest thing an old/ailing person can do for their loved ones is to winnow down their belongings before they die.
I doubt there will be that much grief; my nieces and nephews will get the lot, and to them I'm just an uncle they very rarely see.

They can get a bloke in to clear the place if they want, they don't need to lift a finger. I'm not going to be bothered what happens to the stuff where I'm going. If a Picasso goes on the skip, not my problem (Not that I have a Picasso you understand, just making the point).

Really is just a none-issue for me.

Mean & Green

This is why I choose to continue buying and listening to CDs.

1. I can specifically track down the master and version of an album I want and know which version I’m listening to because I have chosen it - I’m not being presented with whatever remastered version a streaming service is offering.

2. No software or internet involved. It’s nice to break free from touch screens every so often. My CD player doesn’t have software updates that can be glitchy and annoying. It’s mechanical which is novel in 2023.

3. Tactile ritual kind of similar to the vinyl ritual. It’s something to look at and read as well as listen to.

4. I’ve spent 30 years building a personal music library, I’m not about to stop. I rip my CDs to playback tracks as part of playlists on my network player for convenience.

5. I don’t see any drawbacks to CDs, they are cheap, high fidelity and long lasting. Storage isn‘t an issue for me I live in a decent size detached house and enjoy organising and displaying what is a big part of my life and who I am.

6. No stream or download can trigger memories of people and places like a CD can. I can take a CD from a shelf and remember if it was gifted to me, or where I bought it, or what time of my life it was and who I was with at the time. A digital file cannot do any of that.

7. Subscription free. CD collecting can cost as much or as little as I like at any given time. I could go months and not spend any money on music - yet I can still listen to anything in my library at any time.

JimBean

I do regular purges of my cds, used to have about 2000 or so, now I have around 600 titles, alot of those are box sets, though. I just enjoy having a library of music on hand to listen to without dealing with a screen or relying on my not so great cell service to stream. Plus the fact that albums and artists can disappear from the streaming service at anytime. With cds, I don't have that concern. Although I will admit that I'm way choosier about what I buy now that lossless streaming is readily available. It has to be artists that I truly enjoy.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple music app does 192hz, that's superior to CD
Only if the digital recording you access was made from a master at a higher sampling rate, not 44.1/16 .

I have CDs because I prefer to own, not rent, my music medium. Ripping CDs to SSD is more work for me than popping in a CD and I don’t find playing digital files from my computer as enjoyable as playing with my audio hardware.

Top Bottom