• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what/which dsp effects software player do you use mostly to listen muisic?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A couple of notes about Audacity & GoldWave...

Audacity is just checking the peak levels and it can give you false-positive and false negatives. If you have a waveform that's clipped and "shows red", running the amplify effect with a negative amplification (attenuation) will lower the level and you can "hide" the clipping from Audacity but of course the distortion isn't removed.

Or, if you amplify or boost the bass (or something) and it starts to show red but the waveform isn't clipped (yet). Audacity uses floating-point internally so it essentially has no upper (or lower) limits and Audacity itself won't clip. If you export as a regular integer WAV the exported file can be clipped, or if you play it a full-digital volume, your DAC will clip. If you lower the volume before exporting, everything will be OK.

MP3 can go over 0dB without clipping, and MP3 compression changes the wave shape making some peaks higher and some lower (without changing the sound of the dynamics). It's not unusual for MP3s to go over 0dB and "show clipping" in Audacity. And again, these MP3s can will clip your DAC if you play them at full digital volume.

If dynamic range is measured using the crest factor (peak to RMS ratio) the MP3 will give a "better" DR measurement. A similar thing happens through the process of cutting & playing a vinyl record so the vinyl record will often "measure better" than the digital even though they were made from the same master and the dynamics sound the same.

GoldWave also works in floating-point but the MP3 decoder puts-out integer data. So the same MP3 that goes-over 0dB in Audacity will be clipped to 0dB in GoldWave. (If you open a floating-point WAV in GoldWave it can go over 0dB.)

GoldWave can give you the LUFS loudness, and the related EBU R128 Loudness Range, which IMO is a better way of measuring dynamics than using the "DR" crest factor.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of notes about Audacity & GoldWave...

Audacity is just checking the peak levels and it can give you false-positive and false negatives. If you have a waveform that's clipped and "shows red", running the amplify effect with a negative amplification (attenuation) will lower the level and you can "hide" the clipping from Audacity but of course the distortion isn't removed.

Or, if you amplify or boost the bass (or something) and it starts to show red but the waveform isn't clipped (yet). Audacity uses floating-point internally so it essentially has no upper (or lower) limits and Audacity itself won't clip. If you export as a regular integer WAV the exported file can be clipped, or if you play it a full-digital volume, your DAC will clip. If you lower the volume before exporting, everything will be OK.

MP3 can go over 0dB without clipping, and MP3 compression changes the wave shape making some peaks higher and some lower (without changing the sound of the dynamics). It's not unusual for MP3s to go over 0dB and "show clipping" in Audacity. And again, these MP3s can will clip your DAC if you play them at full digital volume.

If dynamic range is measured using the crest factor (peak to RMS ratio) the MP3 will give a "better" DR measurement. A similar thing happens through the process of cutting & playing a vinyl record so the vinyl record will often "measure better" than the digital even though they were made from the same master and the dynamics sound the same.

GoldWave also works in floating-point but the MP3 decoder puts-out integer data. So the same MP3 that goes-over 0dB in Audacity will be clipped to 0dB in GoldWave. (If you open a floating-point WAV in GoldWave it can go over 0dB.)

GoldWave can give you the LUFS loudness, and the related EBU R128 Loudness Range, which IMO is a better way of measuring dynamics than using the "DR" crest factor.

DeltaWave measures true peak, LUFs and LRA now:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah the words are clearly snake oil. But DSEE was designed with machine learning by comparing Sony Music studio masters, and looking at ATRAC, MP3 encoding as well as high res masters versus 16/44 CDs.

well let me take a guess...the comparison would show that the studio masters have more content >20 kHz.

Did we really need machine learning to tell us that?

But the link I showed shows what DSEE HX with various multitones and you can see how 44.1 and 48 kHz is interpreted differently. At least when dealing with lossless sources, it looks like DSEE adds a lot of high frequency harmonics above the audible range *and* whether by design or effect, adds intermodulation effects into the audible range.

It’s free. Try it and see if you like it.

Might do.

OP
Mantra

Mantra

@DVDdoug
hi
I have installed these audacity components , they should find the true peak if save a compressed file to wav ?
Peakfinder-rft.ny
find-peak.ny
LabelPeaks.ny

do you mean tools -> GoldWave 's Amplitude Statistics ?
thanks

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well let me take a guess...the comparison would show that the studio masters have more content >20 kHz.

Did we really need machine learning to tell us that?
Take a look at the different DSEE HX patterns in my TAZH1ES (standard, strings, percussion, female vocals, male vocals). There a different levels of harmonics and patterns. The machine learning version is supposed to pick the right pattern based upon the analysis of the content.

The version you can use for free is just standard, but the question is if you can hear a difference and if you prefer one or the other.

Sony does a lot of weird things. Music Center has 12 tone analysis which is designed to make organizing music better and shuffle play less random.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
When the DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) HX function is set to [Auto], the HDD AUDIO PLAYER upscales the audio file to a High-Resolution Audio file (*) and reproduces the clear high-range sound that is often lost.

This reads like the purest 'high-range' snake-oil.
:oops:

abm0

Forum Donor
For critical listening I use my phone as a source, as my PC makes too much noise, and on the phone I use Neutron Player with the following enabled:
* 32-bit Output
* Direct USB Access (to bypass Android's resampler and allow the next option to work)
* Oversampling 4x (to make sure my DAC's preselected filter isn't veiling any of the treble whatsoever)
* Resampling set to Audiophile
* EQ or Frequency Response Correction depending on the headphones (preferably EQ for headphones where I've created a personalized "truly flat" tuning according to the method in my signature).

Top Bottom