• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs? And why do you find this?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, for some 3 clicks and some scrolling is bad enough. Some has to have some ritual of browsing a collection, picking a media of their choice, then reading the backside then the whole shebang of putting it in the device... playing it AAAAND then possibly moving 10 feet back to the couch. They unconsciously like the extra hardship and clunky process. Not me, i prefer foobar and flacs at a moments notice.

There are thousands of posts on here complaining about balky, glitchy software. There are zero posts complaining about moving ten feet to the couch. Just saying'.

Robin L

Master Contributor
There are thousands of posts on here complaining about balky, glitchy software. There are zero posts complaining about moving ten feet to the couch. Just saying'.
Count me as the first. Truth is, once I've got the file into the DAP, that's it. Scroll up and or down the list, chose the track, then play. Badda bing, badda boom.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot understand all the mess I am reading about spinning things and having to move from the couch or even make good your way all along three clicks...to hear music?

Don't tell me your hardware does not have MU installed...?
It is 2021. Well, almost.

MU will arrange the world around you [limited to 100 ft, 30 meters for version 2.12313081961ZdM, more updates coming soon] on the basis of everything you happen to think of.

Yes, Mind Understanding will open the door if you wish so after someone pressed the door bell, wil send the robot vacuum as soon as you think it is required, will send a message asking for milk as you think you should go for more, will trigger the song you want to hear and will ....well, avoid the mess and bother of having to do anything but thinking.

Latest version also includes a testing facility. Oh,yes.
You simply think it will be good and nice if Yamaha HS7 will show its spinorama and here it comes...

I'm going to have to sit back, smoke a bong, and contemplate this post until it's message becomes clear.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm going to have to sit back, smoke a bong, and contemplate this post until it's message becomes clear.
Don't bother Matt, just enjoy the buzz and some tunes. ;)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It strikes me that applies to file-based guys much more than physical media guys. In my experience computers are the very definition of suffering and arbitrary obstacles.

For me, it's the opposite. Finding what I'm looking for is so much easier and faster in the digital domain. Might have something to do with what one grows up with. CDs were already going out of fashion when I was still a kid, so I grew up on computers with services like Napster, Limewire, and then Itunes. The streaming services today (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz) are the best things to ever happen for music listening, imo. My only gripe is that I wish there were more multichannel music, though Tidal is starting to offer this, at least a little.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might have something to do with what one grows up with. CDs were already going out of fashion when I was still a kid, so I grew up on computers with services like Napster, Limewire, and then Itunes. The streaming services today (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz) are the best things to ever happen for music listening, imo. My only gripe is that I wish there were more multichannel music, though Tidal is starting to offer this, at least a little.

You're right, of course. I grew up with vinyl, and truthfully, deep down in my subconscious, I still think of CD as "new".

My only gripe with streaming is what it pays the content provider.

BillG

Major Contributor
No, I don't find it more rewarding, but rather inconvenient.

I started with eight track tape and vinyl - my parents did actually, but I had full access as well. I then moved to cassette and compact disc. None of the tapes and vinyls have survived over the decades. And I've got a suitcase full of disused compact discs that immigrated halfway around the planet with me, some 20+ years old - the last time I touched that was two year ago to rip an original release of a Prince album. Prior to that, I don't think I'd touched it at all for at least five years.

Since moving to computer based storage and playback I can queue up whatever music I've stored on my server, which is a lot, within seconds, and I can access that same server while away from it, and even outside of my home while traveling.

Sure, I could carry a portable CD player and headphones around with me - as a matter of fact, I used to for work. But that certainly wouldn't be as convenient and space saving as my phone and some IEMs, This certainly gives me access to more music than it would with the portable CD based setup as well.

Artwork, and liner notes? All available from my server, or online, within seconds as well.

If there was a network enabled neural implant or topical interface (an electrode cap) available that would give me access to my music, I'd opt for it in a heartbeat. Imagine that! The highest fidelity available pumped directly into my auditory nervous system, bypassing all manner of bulky physical reproduction equipment! This is a concept that will become a reality in the not so distant future. I just hope I'm still around to experience it... :eek:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only gripe with streaming is what it pays the content provider.

It's ridiculous, honestly. Still, these companies aren't all that profitable, even with paying the artists doodoo.

$10/month is probably too cheap for services like these, but consumers aren't really willing to pay much more. Compare it to the cost of owning a collection of music with a comparable size, and $10/month is rather cheap.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
CDs were already going out of fashion when I was still a kid
Me too, I always saw CDs as old-fashioned. I grew in a time where digital music was the norm, and nobody even thought about having a CD player. Everything was in thumbstick MP3 players or even some phones that offered that capability.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Might have something to do with what one grows up with.
I don't know, I grew up with 45 rpm singles for rock & roll. With each more convenient yet at or near SOTA SQ, I jumped on it.
Today I'm a totally equal opportunity pure digital guy. I have thousands of cuts in my personal libaray, a lot of stuff on disc (both pure audio music and video, and use 2 streamers to access anything I don't have. Why be locked into any media that offers redbook or better SQ, it's all good.
If you told me around 1960 it would be this beautiful I'd have called you nuts.

My only gripe is that I wish there were more multichannel music, though Tidal is starting to offer this, at least a little.
Beware the majority of that Atmos crap Tidals streaming to you is upsampled, you can do that yourself if you have an Atmos AVR. Just another con Jay Z is running on the world.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

levimax

Major Contributor
Still, these companies aren't all that profitable, even with paying the artists doodoo.

Apple, Amazon, and Google (Youtube) are doing OK I think. Some of the streaming only companies are struggling but they won't be around for long most likely. The big internet monopolies have made a mockery of copyright laws (if you don't allow YouTube to pirate your music you will essentially disappear) and taken almost all of the money the record companies and artists used to make for themselves. They do pass along the music they have coopted to the consumer at a reasonable price but it is just another part of their plan to lock in their customers. Who really benefits from all of this? Certainly not the record companies or artists... the consumers "think" they are benefitting but in the long run it is doubtful it will continue (I am old enough to remember when cable TV first came out with "no commercials" being it's big selling point and look how that worked out). I think now is the time to buy CD's.... lots of great music, much of it well mastered, great sound quality, and dirt cheap.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When I play physical CDs, I find that I'm encouraged to sit down and listen, or even to read a book. On the other hand, with FLACs - I often browse the internet while listening, distracting one's attention.
I can get into the music about the same from any quality source. If anything maybe a little more so from my computer flacs or streaming where I can load 2 or 3 albums into a cue, go kick back in the sweet spot lounger and just get into the zone. Having to get up and down to change CD's makes it worst. And a LP would make it worse, I hated getting dragged out of my zone to go flip and clean an LP and stylus, etc, good riddance. ;) As for liner notes, etc; I can turn on my 75" TV, enjoy the artwork or read the notes and push the remote button that shuts off the screen and all goes black and into the zone again.
I love the convenience of todays technology. :D

Top Bottom