• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why buy or use CDs when streaming is more convenient?

NIN

Except the identical problem exists with physical CDs, many different versions with quality all over the place. If anything, it's easier (and a hell of a lot quicker) locating the 'good' versions via streaming than trying to physically locate the best CD versions.

No. Firstly no streaming service have the older first mastering that was released on CD, only the newer. And secondly, there is a lot of info online what version is the best and then one can get it.

I find it funny that a forum that are so anal about measurements don't care if the music one play is dynamic compressed by 3-6-9 or even more dB and have big EQ changes.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I fin it funny that a forum that are so anal about measurements don't care if the music one play is dynamic compressed by 3-6-9 or even more dB and big EQ changes.

This is only something I was thinking about yesterday. All this effort chasing SINAD and numbers and then listening to music tracks they don't know the provenance of via a second rate streaming service. It makes me laugh.

alvigg

What services do you use? I find Apple Music quite good, especially there ever growing hi-res library.

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's not really inconvenient as such to stand up, put a disc in my player, sit down and press play on the remote... YMMV.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just responding to OP, didn't read in between. For me I don't play my CDs, but find them a great way to obtain digital files and have a backup after I rip it (and keep them in binders to save space over jewel boxes). I prefer owning content, which is fine if the streamer actually sells the content I want, that would work for me....but generally with the streamers I use for exploration that's not possible. I grew up with vinyl and the owning thing is just ingrained....you can do well with streaming services as long as you always have internet access I suppose....

NoMoFoNo

I don't think it's worth holding on to possessions too tightly. As I've got older, I've realised that a lot of things that used to be seemingly indispensable are now just dead weight. As far as music goes, I'm pretty confident that there will always be enough new music for me to enjoy as long as I live. Audio is also getting better and cheaper.

If I particularly liked something from what I streamed, I could record it. I haven't tried it yet, but I've found evidence that it works. For example, I could save the Deezer stream in CD quality on my Ubuntu platform as FLAC. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Not only that. Much of the physical media that hobbyists hold onto, not to mention their audio gear, will become nothing more than a burden to their loved ones when they're gone.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only that. Much of the physical media that hobbyists hold onto, not to mention their audio gear, will become nothing more than a burden to their loved ones when they're gone.
I kinda chuckle at my inheritors dealing with all my stuff....which they will inevitably profit from in any case....

pinger

I like my physical CD's arranged by composer in my CD rack. Its like a library but instead of books its music. Have zero interest in streaming

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like my physical CD's arranged by composer in my CD rack. Its like a library but instead of books its music. Have zero interest in streaming
So composer because you have many different interpretations by various artists?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No with very few exceptions I have one interpretation of each work
Just curious, I group by artist mostly....altho with the little classical I have that's more by composer.

pinger

Just curious, I group by artist mostly....altho with the little classical I have that's more by composer.
I only listen to Classical on my system. For rock i'll just be on the computer on You tube

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Much as MQA was a fiasco and a failure, there is definitely a demand for the 'definitive' or 'original' version of songs/albums by listeners.

Most times it was the first release or a quick second release where problems with the first were fixed.
That is mostly vinyl, not necessarily CDs (I should note that studio headphones were used to hear the remastered CD sometimes improved sharpness and transparency of albums).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I only listen to Classical on my system. For rock i'll just be on the computer on You tube
Comparing different interpretations/performances with classical music might be the way to go....

ps sort of like seeking good covers of stuff :)

pinger

Comparing different interpretations/performances with classical music might be the way to go....

ps sort of like seeking good covers of stuff :)
I just dont have time to do that. I listen to a lot of different composers so my time is better spent not listening to multiples of the same work

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just dont have time to do that. I listen to a lot of different composers so my time is better spent not listening to multiples of the same work
But with classical isn't a lot of it in that interpretation/peformance? Or is classical even more rigid/unavailable than even I thought?

Reactions: MAB

pinger

But with classical isn't a lot of it in that interpretation/peformance? Or is classical even more rigid/unavailable than even I thought?
Yes of course there are differences. But if i like a work i dont seek out other interpretations. Thats me and like i said its a time allotment thing. I would rather discover works of composers that I havent known very well than spend time comparing 7 versions of a familiar work

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes of course there are differences. But if i like a work i dont seek out other interpretations. Thats me and like i said its a time allotment thing. I would rather discover works of composers that I havent known very well than spend time comparing 7 versions of a familiar work
In that case you can simply expand your metadata/searches accordingly? Liking a work is only one specific interpretation (in the case of those who both create and play their compositions I don't think relates, tho).

D

Deleted member 21219

OT:

You may already know this site. If not, you might like to browse:

Jim

Top Bottom