• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what/which dsp effects software player do you use mostly to listen muisic?

Mantra

Hi
I used to play music with foobar2000
Since many albums have lots of trebles and sometime too sharp (for example I was listening radiohead ok computer I own the vinyl,cd and audio aac , it 's clipping and lots of trebles ), other could sound dull or too weak or loud or with a not pleasant Eq

I like Highpass Filter/Lowpass Filter ,Eq and with some amps Noise Sharpening for too dull album , and replaygain almost always
Can I know what software do you use to play audio and may I ask you which dsp do you use?
might you please share software player and dsp?
thanks

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I use MusicBee and Foobar2000 on my computer and an old Cambridge Audio streamer into my main speaker system.

I'm a bit odd (compared to many on ASR) in that I don't do a lot of EQ. For example, at my desktop I use Foobar2000 or MusicBee in exclusive mode straight into a Sabaj A10D and then Truthear Zeros (blue) un-eq-ed. It sounds pretty good to me almost all the time. If I need a bit of eq I use Peace and EAPO, by dropping out of excusive mode.

I've spent time in recording studios, so am lucky in having a good sense of what recordings sound like.

I don't find OK Computer, either the original (which I bought when it was released) or the 2017 reboot too bright. So it sounds like something may be wrong. What are you listening with?

OP
Mantra

Mantra

I've spent time in recording studios, so am lucky in having a good sense of what recordings sound like.

I don't find OK Computer, either the original (which I bought when it was released) or the 2017 reboot too bright. So it sounds like something may be wrong. What are you listening with?
Hi
I was listening with Sennheiser HD 598 and Grado SR325x ,plugged into a dac with foobar (but i have read foobar does sound brighter than other software players in their forum )and on my android foobar and aimp
since it , can I ask you what do you think about ok computer and A Moon Shaped Pool , i have loaded into audacity and seem they both are clipping
thanks

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
but i have read foobar does sound brighter than other software players in their forum
I don't think that's correct. They all sound/measure the same.

what do you think about ok computer and A Moon Shaped Pool , i have loaded into audacity and seem they both are clipping
thanks
It depends what you mean by clipping. Radiohead use a lot of compression and other effects, so they aren't like listening to Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Session" (which is a good test by the way). Then, modern mastering tries to make things louder by adding more compression. Some albums are mastered too hot (in my opinion). I'll do some quick analysis and get back to you.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
what do you think about ok computer and A Moon Shaped Pool , i have loaded into audacity and seem they both are clipping
thanks
I'll do some quick analysis and get back to you.
My rip of "Decks Dark" on "Moon Shaped Pool" seems to have a True Peak Level of +0.0 (L) and +0.1 (R) which is not excessively hot. It's not wildly "dynamic" at 9 to 10.

My rip of "Paranoid Android" from 1997 "OK Computer" seems to have a True Peak Level of +0.7 (L and R), so a bit hotter, but again, not ridiculous. "Dynamics" are less than "Decks Dark" at between 7 and 8

My rip of "Paranoid Android" from 2017 "OK/Not OK Computer" seems to have a True Peak Level of +0.3 (L) and +0.1 (R), so better controlled than the original. "Dynamics" are slightly higher than 1997 at 8.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
thanks
I'll do some quick analysis and get back to you.
Here are what they look like in Audacity to me. The red lines are Audacity's definition of clipping

Attachments

• Moon Shaped Pool.jpg
    Moon Shaped Pool.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Paranoid Android 1997.jpg
    Paranoid Android 1997.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 32
  • Paranoid Android 2017.jpg.png
    Paranoid Android 2017.jpg.png
    33 KB · Views: 35

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audyssey room correction of everything. DEQ as well

FreeSurround upixing plugin for stereo sources, via foobar2k.

I don't mess with trying to correct for the varying EQ on varying tracks/albums. Like Floyd Toole has said, old fashioned treble/bass controls could be handy...

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Here are what they look like in Audacity to me. The red lines are Audacity's definition of clipping
It's worth noting that the very compressed sections are "artistic", they should sound a bit unpleasant/painful because that's what Radiohead were aiming at!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I was listening with Sennheiser HD 598 and Grado SR325x ,plugged into a dac with foobar (but i have read foobar does sound brighter than other software players in their forum )and on my android foobar and aimp
That's completely untrue nonsense.

OP
Mantra

Mantra

Hi
I scanned with replygain and Paranoid Android has a track peak of 1.042454 and track gain of -7.58 dB and Decks Dark track peak of 1.012829 and track gain of -9.82 dB
here 2 screenshots
I appreciate a lot your help , may I know what have you used to check the true peak?
My rip of "Decks Dark" on "Moon Shaped Pool" seems to have a True Peak Level of +0.0 (L) and +0.1 (R)

By the way , I have lots of cds from '60 to 2024 , that's why I was asking about dsp and eq
thanks again

wTGoVhC.png

3GbGfkm.png

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC, Audacity by default defines clipping somewhat broadly...3 contiguous samples that reaches 0dB.
Samples at 0dB are not necessarily clipping. Clipping will show as a 'flat' waveform between two samples (which may or may not be at 0dB since engineers may or may not lower the overall level after clipping).

Nor is clipping as detected visually, necessarily audible. THe proximity of clipped segments and their length matters.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Here are the Cowboy Junkies with "I'm so lonesome I could cry" from the "Trinity Sessions" for comparison!

Attachments

• Cowboy Junkies.jpg
    Cowboy Junkies.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 31

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
IIRC, Audacity by default defines clipping somewhat broadly...3 contiguous samples that reaches 0dB.
Samples at 0dB are not necessarily clipping. Clipping will show as a 'flat' waveform between two samples (which may or may not be at 0dB since engineers may or may not lower the overall level after clipping).

Nor is clipping as detected visually, necessarily audible. THe proximity of clipped segments and their length matters.
I agree with all this.

Have you seen Jeff's work at MagicVinylDigital Talk about dedication!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Mantra

Mantra

Audyssey room correction of everything. DEQ as well
Hi
FreeSurround upixing plugin for stereo sources
may I know why do you use this foobar component for stereo sources?
I don't mess with trying to correct for the varying EQ on varying tracks/albums. Like Floyd Toole has said, old fashioned treble/bass controls could be handy...
but if you have lots of audio ..
thanks

I use Foobar with my Sony TAZH1ES applying the DSEE HX, but I also use Sony Music Center for systems that do not.

What DSEE HX does is add extra harmonics which fold down as IMD in the audiophile range and somehow works most of the time.

Post in thread 'Sony TA-ZH1ES: A DAC/Headphone Amp with a Sonic Signature?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...amp-with-a-sonic-signature.42102/post-1488981
Hi
I like DSEE HX , it works almost with every recording , sadly there is no plugin to emulate it
thanks

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like DSEE HX , it works almost with every recording , sadly there is no plugin to emulate it
But Sony music center software is pretty convenient though?

OP
Mantra

Mantra

hi
yesterday I was listening Powerslave and Piece Of Mind and Killers (all Remastered in 2015) by Iron Maiden and they have lots of trebles for my ears , i have asked to my friends and they did confirm
to reduce treble (high frequencies ) should I decrease these frequency?
thanks
Bass
These low-frequency instruments and sounds encompass key components like the bassline, kick drum, and sub bass. These frequencies tend to reside between 60 Hz to 120 Hz.

Mid
Mid sounds encompass sounds like pads, keys, piano, and some parts of the voice. The mid frequencies generally rest between 400 Hz to 2,500 Hz.

Treble
Treble encompasses the highest end of the frequency range, resting between 8,000 Hz and 15,000 Hz. Sounds like snaps, the flute, piccolo, and the female voice rest at this higher range.
or
Lower Treble
The lower treble encompasses sounds ranging from 4,000 Hz to 6,000 Hz on the frequency spectrum. This range provides plenty of clarity for vocals and lead instruments.

Mid Treble
Mid treble houses frequencies ranging from 6,000 Hz to 10,000 Hz. You can count on the mid treble range to pack a punch behind lead lines.

Upper Treble (10KHz-20KHz)
The upper treble range has frequencies ranging from 10,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Upper treble is known for adding shimmer, sparkle, and air at the very top of the frequency spectrum.

@MaxwellsEq
Hi
May I know what software have you used to check/find "True Peak Level " ?
I use audacity Amplify effect or Goldwave Maximize Volume -> "Paranoid Android" from 1997 "OK Computer"
thanks
n5Ji3aM.png

euH6ZIR.png

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

may I know why do you use this foobar component for stereo sources?

because I prefer the sound of upmixed stereo on my 5.2 system, to plain stereo. FreeSurround replaces DPL IIx , which used to be my favorite upmixer but is no longer offered on most AVRs.

but if you have lots of audio ..

yes, and? Like I said, I wish I could easily adjust bass and treble on a per-track, per playback basis, old school, but with all our advanced technology, we seem to have lost that.

(I suppose I could play with EQ sliders in foobar while the track is playing, but that seems more work than I want to do)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Foobar with my Sony TAZH1ES applying the DSEE HX, but I also use Sony Music Center for systems that do not.

What DSEE HX does is add extra harmonics which fold down as IMD in the audiophile range and somehow works most of the time.

Post in thread 'Sony TA-ZH1ES: A DAC/Headphone Amp with a Sonic Signature?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...amp-with-a-sonic-signature.42102/post-1488981

When the DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) HX function is set to [Auto], the HDD AUDIO PLAYER upscales the audio file to a High-Resolution Audio file (*) and reproduces the clear high-range sound that is often lost.

This reads like the purest 'high-range' snake-oil.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) HX function is set to [Auto], the HDD AUDIO PLAYER upscales the audio file to a High-Resolution Audio file (*) and reproduces the clear high-range sound that is often lost.

This reads like the purest 'high-range' snake-oil.

Yeah the words are clearly snake oil. But DSEE was designed with machine learning by comparing Sony Music studio masters, and looking at ATRAC, MP3 encoding as well as high res masters versus 16/44 CDs.

But the link I showed shows what DSEE HX with various multitones and you can see how 44.1 and 48 kHz is interpreted differently. At least when dealing with lossless sources, it looks like DSEE adds a lot of high frequency harmonics above the audible range *and* whether by design or effect, adds intermodulation effects into the audible range.

It’s free. Try it and see if you like it.

Top Bottom