• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why buy or use CDs when streaming is more convenient?

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a prejudice against subscriptions! Perhaps irrational but I try to minimize subscriptions. (I have a free Spotify account, but my Internet is a bit slow and I only use it to check-out music that I might be interested in.)

I have about 1000 CDs (I haven't counted them) but I own more than 18,000 tracks. (I'm not bragging... Lots of people have bigger collections.) Most have them were acquired before streaming became common. They are all ripped to MP3 and I have copies on multiple hard drives and computers and on my antique iPod Classic which lives in my car, connected to the stereo. I've got an "extra" laptop connected to my home theater system and the 4TB SSD also has around 100 movies and around 100 concert videos.

And I'm old, so I own most of the music I'll ever want. I did buy a few new CDs recently by "old" artists. My "favorites" playlist on the iPod has about 2000 tracks that play randomly unless I'm in the mood for something else.

...Perhaps unfortunately, I started ripping to MP3 a long time ago and I really don't want to re-rip them all to FLAC. But, every time I've though I was hearing a compression artifact, the CD has turned-out to have the same "defect" so the quality is perfectly acceptable.

Most music is NOT available for download both losslessly AND legally. If you want lossless legally, usually you have to buy the CD or other shiny disc format.

jsrtheta

I'm an old fart, and living on a less than ideal income.

I refuse to surrender my information to an online entity, only to find out that, when I wasn't paying attention, this faceless entity decided to dun my account. That can actually result in overdraft fees that are not mere nuisances but also creators of disaster.

And at the end of the day, my music belongs to me.

jsrtheta

The answer on this is just going to be a personal choice, for sure. I find that in general, younger people (I believe worldwide, not just in the U.S.) are less prone to have an unmanageable lot of possessions...it is true, I often look at my hobby purchases over my six decades (pens, watches, clothes, music) and wish there was less of it to maintain/catalog/rotate... thoiugh I do still mostly enjoy my choices.

I can imagine someone only having streaming and ripped music and getting along just fine. I'm too deep in at this point...just trying not to add a lot to the piles ;)

I do think streaming will get a bit more expensive over time...look at what's happening with the video streaming services...for quality and low inserted advertising, they will keep notching it up. Not to the point it will deter many, but I think it's shortsighted to think that those costs aren't going to keep going up. "Now, which one of you is Pink?" Remember my friends, welcome to the machine...
It used to be that visiting someone's home for the first time provided clues to your host. You learned their taste in music, you could see what kinds of art/photography they enjoyed. Which, in turn, gave you a good idea if this was a person you want to spend time with.

I went to pick up a date years ago whose music collection was dominated by Jimmy Buffet. That was our first and last date.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I ripped my CDs years ago as well but held on to them until recently. I'll be moving from a 3-bedroom house with lots of storage into a 1-bedroom apartment in the Spring so space will be an issue. Funny, I got rid of the CDP quite a while ago, had no intention of purchasing a new one, and still had a hard time letting go of the CDs!

Last edited:

jsrtheta

Are you kidding?! That was the greatest fun! In fact, that’s one of the problems with the whole “virtual” world - online music, online classes, and other online events — No flirtation possible! You’ll never convince me that this aspect of the real world can be virtualized and people-watching was a big part of the music shopping experience back in the days of physical reality! I still remember the sales girl in Tower Records shouting, decades ago, “I hate f*cking CDs!” I fell in love.
New releases day was a big day at Tower Records. Almost never missed that day.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Bill Gates once said in his 1995 book 'The Road Ahead,' 'Information is at your fingertips,' and today, we could say 'Music is at your fingertips' with the instant access to vast music libraries through music streaming.

JeffGB

I've always kept my CD's, which I have ripped to my hard drive and shunned the streaming services, due to poor quality. Unfortunately it has been getting more and more difficult to even buy CD's. I've even found that music download sites are slowly disappearing and their selections have been getting smaller. A few months ago I tried Amazon Music and was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Most are at minimum CD quality and very many are higher res and with lossless compression. The selection is vast, with many recordings that I have been unable to find elsewhere.
I find the streaming service less expensive than purchasing CD's and the selection amazing. Even recordings that never made it to CD are available. I doubt that I will go back to physical copies in the future, even if by some miracle they suddenly become easily available again (not likely).

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

This afternoon I listened to the original CD release of Nirvana 'Nevermind.'

You can crank it right up and hear it how it was intended and it sounds shockingly good.

Someone with a streaming service please take a look and see if they are offering that version (DR12) or the remaster that's limited to death (DR 7)

nirvana.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 14.23.30_65e633d4.jpg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that I will go back to physical copies in the future, even if by some miracle they suddenly become easily available again (not likely).
And if and when CDs become rare large services will purchase large collections of digital rights and consolidate services, charging for each play of a song or album. Us hoarders will be pursued legally for placing content on the internet, just like in the Napster era.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

the cd sounds a bit different, hard to put a finger on it, but the difference is very slight

the nirvana cd sounds a bit better or maybe is just placebo

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't care if it is CD (which I rip and never touch again) or a 16/44 download... as long as they make album art available in the latter case. I think it horrible when they dont, and if it is one of my fav artists I have supported through the years, I let them know, too.

NIN

Most (all?) streaming services is a mess with what version of the album they have. In most cases they only have the latest remastered version and not the best version. That is a big reason to use CD.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
If you enjoy exploring new music nothing will keep up with a streaming service. I listen to hundreds of new artists (to me) each month. Lots to read about artists and teir music as well, plus artwork, photos etc.
Then there are endless playlists of classics from different eras and genres if I feel the need.
Before streaming, almost 20yrs ago, i was limited to a few hundred cds and vinyl plus radio. Listening to the same stuff is now boring for me.

In the end streaming offers unlimited music - if thats your thing....
If you are still listening to Nirvana (Must have listened to it close to a hundred times since it was released lol), and thats your priority, well stick to your cds.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Most (all?) streaming services is a mess with what version of the album they have. In most cases they only have the latest remastered version and not the best version. That is a big reason to use CD.
Except the identical problem exists with physical CDs, many different versions with quality all over the place. If anything, it's easier (and a hell of a lot quicker) locating the 'good' versions via streaming than trying to physically locate the best CD versions.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Much as MQA was a fiasco and a failure, there is definitely a demand for the 'definitive' or 'original' version of songs/albums by listeners.

Most times it was the first release or a quick second release where problems with the first were fixed. I have zero interest in the endless 're-masters' of remasters. So that means in most cases, owning the first releases, made in specific plants at particular times. Right down to the jewel cases being original. It's all part of the musical experience for me.

Streaming is great for most people, but not for me.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Except the identical problem exists with physical CDs, many different versions with quality all over the place. If anything, it's easier (and a hell of a lot quicker) locating the 'good' versions via streaming than trying to physically locate the best CD versions.

What's 'good' mean to you?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an old Hatz diesel in a tractor air cooled. It will operate on slow running people if you can get then in the tank.
You have a tractor that consumes people?!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anything, it's easier (and a hell of a lot quicker) locating the 'good' versions via streaming than trying to physically locate the best CD versions.
How many streaming services do use. I do mostly streaming and can locate any exact version CD or LP on Discogs and pay competitive price, much faster.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many streaming services do use. I do mostly streaming and can locate any exact version CD or LP on Discogs and pay competitive price, much faster.
To me, the big value of streaming is the fact I can create playlists that mimic my own library and play them anywhere, anytime, without carrying around little storage sticks.

I love Spotify, and have a lot of playlists there that, again, reflect the ones I have on my main music library. But as stated before, Spotify regularly cuts out songs and albums from their library. For music that matters to me, ownership still is irreplaceable.

Top Bottom