• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics cables

murraycamp

Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So USB cords can make a difference!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a pair of Amazon Basics RCA cables a while back and noticed they were made from appliance cable. Not really the intended application for that material.

I’d stick with something made from Belden, Canare, Mogami, Klotz, Van Damme, or Van den Hul microphone cable. Cheap, durable, and made for audio. They should all sound and work the same.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a pair of Amazon Basics RCA cables a while back and noticed they were made from appliance cable. Not really the intended application for that material.

I’d stick with something made from Belden, Canare, Mogami, Klotz, Van Damme, or Van den Hul microphone cable. Cheap, durable, and made for audio. They should all sound and work the same.
Can you explain what you mean by "appliance cable"? Do you have pics of a cut cable?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There's cheap, and then there's too cheap. I definitely don't mind spending a bit extra on proper QC.

Bet there's stupidly little left once you disregard the profit margin on these products.

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I use BJC because they introduce more "soul" into the music - the joyous passages are more joyous, the sadder passages are sadder. They add emotional transparency to the signal.

- just kidding -

I use BJC because I can get them at somewhat custom lengths, they are well constructed with good stock, and they have an excellent return policy. And they - at least to date - do not spontaneously combust like a Spinal Tap drummer.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I go to the dollar store for USB cords to charge my phone. Maybe I should be more careful but does price correlate with safety?

MRC01

Major Contributor
There's cheap, and then there's too cheap. I definitely don't mind spending a bit extra on proper QC. ...
True. And Amazon basics cables are too cheap. I bought a pair of their USB-A to micro, and both had the micro connector completely fail within a few months.

I use BJC because I can get them at somewhat custom lengths, they are well constructed with good stock, and they have an excellent return policy. And they - at least to date - do not spontaneously combust like a Spinal Tap drummer.
Same here. Funny thing, I've used their cables for 20 years starting back when I lived in CA. Over the years I moved to WA and their shop happens to be down the street from me, and I'm still a customer. They also do custom jobs, using super high quality parts and the cost is not much more than it would cost me to buy the parts and build the cables myself.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll post a link. Basically, bulk cable used for making appliance power cords.
The cables are inked “AWM” which means Appliance Wiring Material. That in and of itself isn’t necessarily bad, but it demonstrates that the cable stock is designed for electrical wiring as opposed to audio. Can’t find a picture of it online so I might just need to take a picture of mine.

thomasjast

The cables are inked “AWM” which means Appliance Wiring Material. That in and of itself isn’t necessarily bad, but it demonstrates that the cable stock is designed for electrical wiring as opposed to audio. Can’t find a picture of it online so I might just need to take a picture of mine.

Just imagine what your radio will sound like when it finds out that it's actually a toaster!

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Just imagine what your radio will sound like when it finds out that it's actually a toaster!

Really on to something. AWM is the new chromium infused supercable. Bet they inject the audio signal with a "warm" and - ahem - "toasty" midrange, with "buttery highs"

Top Bottom