• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Profile XLR Cables

Hi all,

I am looking to create a really minimal setup which looks clean. I have an audio interface with an XLR port on the front. I know there are other audio interfaces that have them on the back now, but everything else about this audio interface was perfect for my needs so I will just have to deal with this.

My question is about whether low profile XLR cables like these are actually good.
CT-LPXR-24K-image2.png

I know the cable length of these are quite small so I would need to connect a larger XLR cable to this but apart from that it would reduce the size of my setup considerably. I don't really see many people talking about them so wanted peoples opinions. Or are right angled connectors just better here (still take up a lot of space imo).

sam_adams

Major Contributor
As opposed to a Neutrik NC3MRX or NC3FRX? There seems to be a large selection—that's no indicator of suitability or quality, though. Since those are pre-wired, you are at the mercy of the QC from the vendor so you would have to examine the workmanship to see if it is of good quality. You would also have to accept what wire they use unless you can specify exactly what you want.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
You sure can. Belden makes several Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) that are about 3 mm in diameter.
With 24AWG conductors.
Belden1508A,1883A,8641, 88641,82641
They are not very rugged. But studios use them all the time for very long permanent installations.

OP
K
As opposed to a Neutrik NC3MRX or NC3FRX? There seems to be a large selection—that's no indicator of suitability or quality, though. Since those are pre-wired, you are at the mercy of the QC from the vendor so you would have to examine the workmanship to see if it is of good quality. You would also have to accept what wire they use unless you can specify exactly what you want.
This was my suspicion, there seems to be a few options but no way to tell if they will be good or not, not many people talk about using them either.

You sure can. Belden makes several Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) that are about 3 mm in diameter.
With 24AWG conductors.
Belden1508A,1883A,8641, 88641,82641
They are not very rugged. But studios use them all the time for very long permanent installations.
That sounds promising but looking at the site I have no idea what the differences are or what you would even do to get a cable I needed. I quite a novice as you can probably tell.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be a bit odd, but they make adapters for XLR to RJ45 plugs. Then you connects ends with CAT ethernet cable.

I am pretty sure I've seen them with a right angle connector, but couldn't find one right off hand. But yes, the suggestions by Speedskater would be good.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
That sounds promising but looking at the site I have no idea what the differences are or what you would even do to get a cable I needed. I quite a novice as you can probably tell.
For your use, all the Belden cables will be equal. But the handling & minimum order costs will be large.
If you could find a length of shielded CAT cable, you could use just one pair.
Where do you live? I could look in the attic for bulk cable.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Though not as thin as some mentioned get a neutrik connector right angle like you want and any Mogami or Canare cable. Those are not super thick, though not super thin. They are however very supple, flexible and sturdy. Lots of studios use them. These you can count on being very good quality. Just make sure you get the right angled end made with the correct gender. One end of an XLR is male and the other is female. They cost a little more, but not stupid amounts.

One example here.

rationaltime

I have used both straight and right angle Neutrik XLR connectors.
The right angle connectors stick out just as far as the straight and
do not save any space.

I have not seen the low profile XLR connectors shown. Though
expensive I think you might try them. I don't know of another
solution.

OP
K
Though not as thin as some mentioned get a neutrik connector right angle like you want and any Mogami or Canare cable. Those are not super thick, though not super thin. They are however very supple, flexible and sturdy. Lots of studios use them. These you can count on being very good quality. Just make sure you get the right angled end made with the correct gender. One end of an XLR is male and the other is female. They cost a little more, but not stupid amounts.

One example here.
Yeah this looks like the best option tbh I'll give it a try.

tonyman

FWIW, I bought a bunch of custom length/custom colored XLR-->XLR cables from those folks several years ago using that R/A connector to wire one of my PA racks. They are very well made, and have held up well. The other ends were straight Neutriks, excellent, as usual. Hard to gripe about the Mogami wire, and workmanship was great. The R/A connectors mate really well with the Neutrik chassis jacks on my Allen&Heath gear.

BTW, if you like to solder, you can buy the connectors for $10. https://www.redco.com/CT-LPXLR-3M-K-Low-Profile-Right-Angle-Male-XLR.html

I just stumbled over your post via Google because I want to buy a few more, and had lost their contact info. So thanks!

Top Bottom