• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have gone through all audio configurations in Windows 10 Sound and hardware and found no improvement. Within the first 3 minutes of iTunes playback dropped out for a microsecond. I have gone back to my Aiyima A04 via the Topping E30, no problems at all there for no but I think this issue is with Windows and not the D03. Bluetooth connection with my iphone is fine, no dropouts at all so far. Might be a kernel issue within windows..

Last edited:

Schlippwhip68

If anyone has a chance to test the D03 with Linux, please report if this issue is present on USB and/or optical. (And for good measure, your distro and kernel version.) It is currently the leading candidate to match with a pair of Wharfedale 12.1 or 12.2 when I can actually travel to get them. (And hopefully after Amir has tested the 12.2, as he implied that he has already purchased either that or the 12.0 for testing.)
I think the issue maybe with Windows and not the D03. Bluetooth connection with my iphone is fine so far, no dropouts at all.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say "for a microsecond" I assume you just mean "very short dropout"? Is it possible you have ground loop noise causing data errors on the USB?

Are you using ASIO driver - if not can you try? If you are, can you try without?

Have you or can you try a different computer - eg laptop - especially running on battery?

Schlippwhip68

When you say "for a microsecond" I assume you just mean "very short dropout"? Is it possible you have ground loop noise causing data errors on the USB?

Are you using ASIO driver - if not can you try? If you are, can you try without?

Have you or can you try a different computer - eg laptop - especially running on battery?
Hi
Yes, a very short sporadic dropout. I will give the asio driver a go. I don't have the opportunity of using another computer at present..

Zek

Major Contributor
Which audio player do you use?
It may be up to the settings in the player.

Schlippwhip68

Which audio player do you use?
It may be up to the settings in the player.
Using iTunes at the moment on windows 10. Its all synced correctly. Intel just updated the the graphics and audio driver and no improvement there either.

Schlippwhip68

I have the Asio4all driver and installed it but has not solved the issue. Mmm...its a head scratcher. I have contacted Yimaglobal with the issue concerned and waiting for their reply. I will also contact Aiyima directly and report the problem.

Schlippwhip68

Using iTunes at the moment on windows 10. Its all synced correctly. Intel just updated the the graphics and audio driver and no improvement there either.
So far there does not seem to be any issues using Foobar software. No dropouts yet...It might be a streaming issue. I have a stable internet connection so I am doubting any download speeds being the problem.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
classDaudio1.jpg
He was so ahead of the game, it is frightening. Rest your soul, Sir Clive.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I have the Asio4all driver and installed it but has not solved the issue. Mmm...its a head scratcher. I have contacted Yimaglobal with the issue concerned and waiting for their reply. I will also contact Aiyima directly and report the problem.
Maybe a processor interrupt is being shared by by the usb root hub and another device.
Type <Win symbol>+R and the run window will popup.
Type msinfo32 <enter>
Click on "+" next to Hardware Resources and then Conflicts/Sharing

It will show you any interrupt numbers that are being shared. Sometimes switching slots on pcie devices can help.
Note: Most modern computers rarely have problems with interrupt sharing, but it's something to look at.

Schlippwhip68

I think the issue is resolved at least in my case. I believe it was a driver issue. I installed both an Asio4all driver for windows 10 and had a graphics/audio driver update from Intel. I have not had one drop out in the playback through the D03, good news for D03 at least. I would guess it was the update from intel that did the trick as the Asio driver did not immediately solve the issue.

Schlippwhip68

Maybe a processor interrupt is being shared by by the usb root hub and another device.
Type msinfo32 <enter>

It will show you any interrupt numbers that are being shared. Sometimes switching slots on pcie devices can help.
Note: Most modern computers rarely have problems with interrupt sharing, but it's something to look at.
Thanks, I will have a look and get back to you..

Schlippwhip68

Type msinfo32 <enter>

All checks out fine. No issues there all OK.

Schlippwhip68

Hi
Yes, a very short sporadic dropout. I will give the asio driver a go. I don't have the opportunity of using another computer at present..
Hi
After updating the driver i have gone through 2 films on Netflix and about an hour on iTunes. The result is one dip or dropout that sounds like a dip out for a millisecond whilst having several tabs open on Chrome and simultaneously listening to iTunes. That's a huge improvement over two or even more throughout one film alone prior to the driver update.
Thanks for everyone's input here and although this was not trailblazing science as far as the amp goes and its a pretty basic issue, the frustration can remain the same with a new product such as this especially when its a first with this kind of issue.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Hi
After updating the driver i have gone through 2 films on Netflix and about an hour on iTunes. The result is one dip or dropout that sounds like a dip out for a millisecond whilst having several tabs open on Chrome and simultaneously listening to iTunes. That's a huge improvement over two or even more throughout one film alone prior to the driver update.
Thanks for everyone's input here and although this was not trailblazing science as far as the amp goes and its a pretty basic issue, the frustration can remain the same with a new product such as this especially when its a first with this kind of issue.
I have had issues updating drivers in Windows and I personally prefer to uninstall the device in the hardware device manager and then reboot my computer and let Windows detect new hardware. Going that route has fixed driver issues vs just updating the driver.

Schlippwhip68

Yeah, this is a good little amp. I have had this for nearly 2 weeks now and I am pretty stoked to say the least. I am running from my Hama streamer at either 16 or 24/48kHz. I can only tell the sample rate at this point but to be honest it sound good enough and with ease. I am using an Amazon Basics 5m digital coaxial cable so its a pure digital connection and in short, wow! It serves up a crystal clear and punchy sound much better than my Topping E30 running into my Cambridge Audio AM10. The dropout issues have disappeared so I can only put that down internet and windows driver issues, its definitely not this little amp from Aiyima that was causing the problem..

Walter

It serves up a crystal clear and punchy sound much better than my Topping E30 running into my Cambridge Audio AM10.
That is great to hear but a bit surprising. However, that amp does appear lacking in current, as I don't even see a 4ohm power rating. What speakers do you have?

Schlippwhip68

That is great to hear but a bit surprising. However, that amp does appear lacking in current, as I don't even see a 4ohm power rating. What speakers do you have?
This is driving a pair of Mission 751s and Tannoy Eclipse 3 floorstanders with ease at the moment...or at least it appears to be..

Walter

This is driving a pair of Mission 751s and Tannoy Eclipse 3 floorstanders with ease at the moment...or at least it appears to be..
Did you feel like the D03 sounded better than the Cambridge with both of those?

Edit: While I have not found any actual tests, I just looked up the manufacturers' specifications and IF they are honest, these are both efficient, easy to drive speakers. So the AM10's lack of current would not explain why the D03 sounds better. We're still in the entirely subjective realm, but it is still encouraging news to read, in my opinion. I hope the D03 gets sent o Amir for testing, although since it is a slightly older model and not hyped very much, I rather doubt it will be. Still, for the price, it seems like a "can't lose" situation to purchase one.

Last edited:

Walter

Has anyone removed the heatsink on one of these to see if there is adequate thermal compound applied, or tried wreplacing it with some of a known high grade? Is it easy to do?

Top Bottom