• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Toku

Major Contributor
Ok, I decided to repaste the chip after all. Is a new unit but i reckon its worth doing if you use better than average paste. Its a little piniky as there are two small plastic spacers to consider so be careful not to lose them. I used Noctua NT-H2 paste ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Noctua+NT-H2&ref=nb_sb_noss). Its a good quality paste with an 5 year operational lifespan. There is a separate small aluminium plate in addition to the heatsink that had paste on both sides, one for the chip and one to hold it into plate on the heatsink. I think overall the results will be positive and better paste will help to maintain a cooler temp.

Update: The amp is noticeably cooler when running or at least takes longer to get warm. The housing is not even warm in half of the time like it was prior to the paste upgrade.

The heat generated by the TAS5624 of the amplifier chip is transferred from the heat sink to the amplifier case by the convection of air inside the case, and is released to the outside air from the surface of the amplifier case.
Repainting the thermal grease improves heat conduction to the heat sink and promotes heat conduction from the convection of the air inside the case to the case. This will cause the case to rise faster than before.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Attachments

• IMG-1111.jpg
    IMG-1111.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 3,555

Schlippwhip68

The heat generated by the TAS5624 of the amplifier chip is transferred from the heat sink to the amplifier case by the convection of air inside the case, and is released to the outside air from the surface of the amplifier case.
Repainting the thermal grease improves heat conduction to the heat sink and promotes heat conduction from the convection of the air inside the case to the case. This will cause the case to rise faster than before.
I am not sure what you mean by rise but if its the temperature then as I mentioned it is alot cooler with the new paste.

Toku

Major Contributor
I am not sure what you mean by rise but if its the temperature then as I mentioned it is alot cooler with the new paste.
The better the heat release from the heat sink, the easier it is for heat to be transferred to the case, which means that the temperature of the case rises faster.

Repainting the thermal grease will not lower the temperature of the case. The heat generated by the amplifier chip eventually radiates into the air from the D03 case.

Schlippwhip68

The better the heat release from the heat sink, the easier it is for heat to be transferred to the case, which means that the temperature of the case rises faster.

Repainting the thermal grease will not lower the temperature of the case. The heat generated by the amplifier chip eventually radiates into the air from the D03 case.
I see. So why is my amp case cooler now? We have now come into winter so the room temp has dropped over the last few days so that's one mitigating factor to consider. Oh well, it looks like i have a little mystery as to why my amp is running cooler...:cool:
index.php

UAN

Colleagues, I am a little confused when choosing between D03 and D05.
On Ali's website there is a photo of the amplifier boards, so it seems that the D05 has better equipment and board quality.
And the amplifier chip is newer in the D03.
Most likely, the Chinese are cheating and the newer version D05.
Guys, what amplifier chip is installed in D03 and does D03 support APTX HD?

Last edited:

Schlippwhip68

Colleagues, I am a little confused when choosing between D03 and D05.
On Ali's website there is a photo of the amplifier boards, so it seems that the D05 has better equipment and board quality.
And the amplifier chip is newer in the D03.
Most likely, the Chinese are cheating and the newer version D05.
Guys, what amplifier chip is installed in D03 and does D03 support APTX HD?
I would go with the D03. It has more grunt (power), better Bluetooth and apparently a better handling of the subwoofer feature but i cannot certify the subwoofer as I don't use one.....yet.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I present to you the brand new Aiyima D03 Class D amplifier

View attachment 146822

AIYIMA D03
After several listening experiences, with different amplifiers, by class and by brand, today, after having extensively tested various electronics, even in class D, I focus on the new amplifier from AIYIMA (Chinese manufacturer), which produced the D03

It is a class D of 670 grams, not bulky at all.

Lightweight and easy to place in your usual listening environment, it won't disappoint you.

Indeed, I was thrilled when I realized how much quality and power such an object releases.

In fact, I can say that, having little space in my house, with the D03 I solved the problem.

It is built solidly.

But let's immediately consider what we find inside the packaging.

It contains our device, an infrared remote control, for convenient control of the main functions (adjusting the input / volume / bass / treble / mute mode), a power adapter (DC32V 5A), a USB cable and a cable optical.

View attachment 146880

A very respectable endowment! From the remote control, slim and functional, it is possible to juggle all the commands that we find on the display.

But let's try to proceed in order, because this little one really deserves it: let's talk about the back, then the front and my listening experiences.

Later this amplifier, which not only has the role of amplifying and that's it, but also takes on the role of digital to analogue decoder (DAC); I was saying, this AIYIMA amp-DAC offers from left to right: a power input (size 5.5 - 2.5 mm, European or USA section) from DC 24-36 v. A 32v 5 amp power supply is recommended.

Then we have the output sockets for the passive speakers (SPEAKER OUT), usually in plastic, which accept the stripped cable, forks or the classic bananas; a speaker out dedicated (hear) to the SUBWOOFER, which, attention !, must be active. Let's move further to the left and our AIYIMA D03 features the classic RCA analog inputs; therefore, still in the audio-in section, a complete range of inputs, now canonical, but not always so integrated in a single device: coaxial input, input for Bluetooth via a special and dedicated antenna (supplied in the package), the OPT (optical) digital input and PC-USB input.

All very neat and complete.

I mean, what can we connect to this D03? Practically, if not all, really a lot: PC, Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone, an analogue and digital source (DVD, CD, etc.), an external DAC.

View attachment 146881

Let's turn this amplifier around, so that we have its front part in front of us. All very basic and well done, very clear.
On the left, the Switch button and, then, next to it, the INPUT selection button.

Exactly in the center, a pleasant display, with blue quartz, explaining the selected functions, with an indicator of entry in selection (clearly highlighted by symbols or letters), the volume from 0 to 99 and the indication of the KHZ of the DAC. Let's not forget, far right, the volume knob, well made and rather well scaled, to testify, as I said, the good build quality of the object.

View attachment 146882

Bluetooth 5.0 chip: QCC3034 supports: ACC, SBC, aptX, aptX-LL, APTX-HD.

Optimal! The sampling frequency of the digital sector, via internal DAC is 24bit / 192khz and does not go beyond.

The encoding is not of the highest quality and, during my listening, I preferred to use a higher performing external DAC and the results were remarkable.

The operating systems supported by the internal DAC (Chip CS8422) are the following: XP / Vista7 / 8/10 / Max OS / MAC / Linux / Mobile OTG. Under the hood we have a Texas Instruments processor, in 8-channel HD audio TAS5548 + a TAS5624, from the same house.

AIYIMA, I remember, for a long time, uses similar chips, from Texas Instruments, of great quality.

Finally, the DRV603, which is a 3V pop-free stereo line driver, for gain control and adjustment.
93 are the DB of the signal-to-noise ratio, frequency response 20-20Khz (± 1.25db); input sensitivity: 0.775V; the gain of the tone (treble and bass): ± 14, which works very well; the output level of the Subwoofer: 2.1, the total harmonic distortion is 0.001% (1kHz 1w) and the variable impedance of 4-8Ω. It means that you can couple a lot of different speakers and with various impedances.

If you follow the recommended power supply, even with high summer temperatures and moderately intense use, the appliance heats up very little.

Let's now turn to my listening experience.

View attachment 146878

Basically I connected a digital source (PC), with Foobar2000 software, to the D03, via DAC Topping D10s and Q ACOUSTIC 3050i speakers, which are floor standing.

I also own two other high-cost class AB and D amplifiers, branded Onix A55 MK1 and Arcam A29.

What can I tell you? This AIYIMA D03 surprised me.

I also owned an amplifier like AIYIMA A07, but the D03 sounds much more powerful, never clipping, with a detailed scene worthy of the 3255 chip, very sweet on the highs and nice strong lows, but never intrusive.

Personal taste comes into play here, but I guarantee you that there is no comparison with my previous AB and D classes, with respect to which I always noticed some flaws: little power, no bass and annoying details in the mid-high range.

My Q ACOUSTICs now do their duty and are truly enhanced by the AIYIMA D03.

For me it seems much better than aiyima a07 and it also sounds with much more power and pilot better certain types of speakers and on 8 ohm it seems to me that it has a power of 55 watt rms, because I put it in comparison with my Onix A55 MK1 in class A/B

At this point I recommend it.

I present to you the brand new Aiyima D03 Class D amplifier

View attachment 146822

AIYIMA D03
After several listening experiences, with different amplifiers, by class and by brand, today, after having extensively tested various electronics, even in class D, I focus on the new amplifier from AIYIMA (Chinese manufacturer), which produced the D03

It is a class D of 670 grams, not bulky at all.

Lightweight and easy to place in your usual listening environment, it won't disappoint you.

Indeed, I was thrilled when I realized how much quality and power such an object releases.

In fact, I can say that, having little space in my house, with the D03 I solved the problem.

It is built solidly.

But let's immediately consider what we find inside the packaging.

It contains our device, an infrared remote control, for convenient control of the main functions (adjusting the input / volume / bass / treble / mute mode), a power adapter (DC32V 5A), a USB cable and a cable optical.

View attachment 146880

A very respectable endowment! From the remote control, slim and functional, it is possible to juggle all the commands that we find on the display.

But let's try to proceed in order, because this little one really deserves it: let's talk about the back, then the front and my listening experiences.

Later this amplifier, which not only has the role of amplifying and that's it, but also takes on the role of digital to analogue decoder (DAC); I was saying, this AIYIMA amp-DAC offers from left to right: a power input (size 5.5 - 2.5 mm, European or USA section) from DC 24-36 v. A 32v 5 amp power supply is recommended.

Then we have the output sockets for the passive speakers (SPEAKER OUT), usually in plastic, which accept the stripped cable, forks or the classic bananas; a speaker out dedicated (hear) to the SUBWOOFER, which, attention !, must be active. Let's move further to the left and our AIYIMA D03 features the classic RCA analog inputs; therefore, still in the audio-in section, a complete range of inputs, now canonical, but not always so integrated in a single device: coaxial input, input for Bluetooth via a special and dedicated antenna (supplied in the package), the OPT (optical) digital input and PC-USB input.

All very neat and complete.

I mean, what can we connect to this D03? Practically, if not all, really a lot: PC, Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone, an analogue and digital source (DVD, CD, etc.), an external DAC.

View attachment 146881

Let's turn this amplifier around, so that we have its front part in front of us. All very basic and well done, very clear.
On the left, the Switch button and, then, next to it, the INPUT selection button.

Exactly in the center, a pleasant display, with blue quartz, explaining the selected functions, with an indicator of entry in selection (clearly highlighted by symbols or letters), the volume from 0 to 99 and the indication of the KHZ of the DAC. Let's not forget, far right, the volume knob, well made and rather well scaled, to testify, as I said, the good build quality of the object.

View attachment 146882

Bluetooth 5.0 chip: QCC3034 supports: ACC, SBC, aptX, aptX-LL, APTX-HD.

Optimal! The sampling frequency of the digital sector, via internal DAC is 24bit / 192khz and does not go beyond.

The encoding is not of the highest quality and, during my listening, I preferred to use a higher performing external DAC and the results were remarkable.

The operating systems supported by the internal DAC (Chip CS8422) are the following: XP / Vista7 / 8/10 / Max OS / MAC / Linux / Mobile OTG. Under the hood we have a Texas Instruments processor, in 8-channel HD audio TAS5548 + a TAS5624, from the same house.

AIYIMA, I remember, for a long time, uses similar chips, from Texas Instruments, of great quality.

Finally, the DRV603, which is a 3V pop-free stereo line driver, for gain control and adjustment.
93 are the DB of the signal-to-noise ratio, frequency response 20-20Khz (± 1.25db); input sensitivity: 0.775V; the gain of the tone (treble and bass): ± 14, which works very well; the output level of the Subwoofer: 2.1, the total harmonic distortion is 0.001% (1kHz 1w) and the variable impedance of 4-8Ω. It means that you can couple a lot of different speakers and with various impedances.

If you follow the recommended power supply, even with high summer temperatures and moderately intense use, the appliance heats up very little.

Let's now turn to my listening experience.

View attachment 146878

Basically I connected a digital source (PC), with Foobar2000 software, to the D03, via DAC Topping D10s and Q ACOUSTIC 3050i speakers, which are floor standing.

I also own two other high-cost class AB and D amplifiers, branded Onix A55 MK1 and Arcam A29.

What can I tell you? This AIYIMA D03 surprised me.

I also owned an amplifier like AIYIMA A07, but the D03 sounds much more powerful, never clipping, with a detailed scene worthy of the 3255 chip, very sweet on the highs and nice strong lows, but never intrusive.

Personal taste comes into play here, but I guarantee you that there is no comparison with my previous AB and D classes, with respect to which I always noticed some flaws: little power, no bass and annoying details in the mid-high range.

My Q ACOUSTICs now do their duty and are truly enhanced by the AIYIMA D03.

For me it seems much better than aiyima a07 and it also sounds with much more power and pilot better certain types of speakers and on 8 ohm it seems to me that it has a power of 55 watt rms, because I put it in comparison with my Onix A55 MK1 in class A/B

At this point I recommend it.

To me this is a spam post. You want to sell an amp? Send it in for testing.

OP
robertospeed

robertospeed

The Bluetooth is very good but i did find i have to greatly increase the treble to achieve a satisfactory level of detail.
The RCA inputs are not very good, if you use the D03's DAC I WILL MAKE YOU SEE IT SOUNDS BETTER

jankz

Not sure about the optical as of yet but its certainly there with the USB connection.
I can't come up with anything conclusive. After a couple weeks of listening on optical, I think I have heard 2-3 dropouts total and none in the last week. With USB, I think I was getting about 2-3 per day.

Schlippwhip68

Thanks everyone!
D03 is coming to me
it will be very interesting to test these chips.
I found this amp very useful overall. It has the ease of all the digital inputs that i need and in all honesty I really don't feel the need to spend anymore money on something more up market. The sound quality is very good for everyday use.

Schlippwhip68

I can't come up with anything conclusive. After a couple weeks of listening on optical, I think I have heard 2-3 dropouts total and none in the last week. With USB, I think I was getting about 2-3 per day.
I think my drop out boils down to my ISP. I had the same thing elsewhere and with different equipment.

UAN

I tested D03, really liked it! The FDA technology is really promisin.
True, it upset that the APTX HD codec is not activated in the bluetooth module.

AntGom

I've read whole thread but nowhere there is a truly sound comparison with other chips, like tpa3255, ma12070 etc...
I mean the sound is more accurate, more analytical, more dry, warmer...(?)
Soundstage is more forward, more laidback, more dimensional (?)
Bass is more tight, more loose, more controled...(?)

Come on guys, some of you have many amps to compare...
Thanks...

Walter

I've read whole thread but nowhere there is a truly sound comparison with other chips, like tpa3255, ma12070 etc...
I mean the sound is more accurate, more analytical, more dry, warmer...(?)
Soundstage is more forward, more laidback, more dimensional (?)
Bass is more tight, more loose, more controled...(?)

Come on guys, some of you have many amps to compare...
Thanks...
Yes, but this site is based on science, not descriptions such as those, which 9 times out of 10 are useless and subconsciously based on the listener's preconceived ideas. There are lots and lots of other sites that will give you those kinds of descriptions, if that is what you want.

Top Bottom