• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, as Darth Vader would say to these amps, "I find your lack of vents disturbing."

Trokox

I have been using AYIMA D03 for about 3 months, and D03 remembers the setting information even if the power line is completely turned off. Therefore, the status does not change even if the entire system is turned ON / OFF with the master switch. Also, at this time, pop noise does not appear.
I think the D03 chip is old, but it's not old. The same is true for the popular TI -TPA3255.
The sound quality of the digital input of the D03 is very good, and it is not inferior to the latest DA-9, AO200, A20a, PA03, etc. The sound quality is excellent considering the price.
However, the sound of the analog input of RCA is not good. I have reported this issue to AIYIMA but no further improvement information. D03 is a full digital input amplifier. I can recommend D03 to many people if it is used on the premise of digital connection.
If you have any questions about AIYIMA D03, please ask me.
Hi Toku. I know you said that you are not very good at describing the sound differences but how different the sound is from the Aiyima D03 and the Sabaj A20A. Currently I am using an SMSL A12 with an Infineon MA12070 chip and I think it sounds very good but with some albums with high dynamic range I am a little short on power and I am looking for an amplifier that has a little more power but without sacrificing sound quality. I'm split between the aiyima d03 or maybe aiyima a07 and a preamp or the sabaj a20a

Bushellj

My D03 just arrived today in the UK (14 days from original order) From China. Purchased from “AiyimaTechnology Store“ on Aliexpress Using with Mean Well RST-200-24 Power Supply.

Only done a quick functional test (swopped out my A07) on some entry level Denon Speakers using my iPhone as the source through Bluetooth. Sounds very good “out of the box” and easily as good as the A07 (unmodified other than upgraded Op Amps to OPA1656). Remote control works well. Would have been nice if the display was a little larger and could be turned off. Will try with some better speakers over the next few days.

Bushellj

Does anyone know how to open the case on the D03 ?? Can I assume there are some screws under the rubber feet ??

Can‘t have a new amplifier and not have a look inside !!!

Trokox

Mine arrived on Saturday. took 2 weeks from China to UK. Not disappointed at all. Even the lesser RCA is decent enough, I would say it sounds a little drier than the digital inputs but not a disaster by any means. The case does get warm and it left me wondering why the lid is not vented like an integrated A/B. I am tempted to drill the lid of the casing like a medieval headache cure.. Currently driving a pair of Mission 751 speakers (28 years old) and it sounds excellent using iTunes @ 24/96hz on Windows 10 via an HP 800 G2 micro PC...I also own the A04 and running the easy listening opa2604 with it and the D03 was instantly better in my ears...any questions feel free to ask.
Hi Schlippwhip68
Can you hear background noise when you turn the amp on full volume without playing music?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know how to open the case on the D03 ?? Can I assume there are some screws under the rubber feet ??

Can‘t have a new amplifier and not have a look inside !!!
Take photos and post, please.

Bushellj

D03 Update from first day of playing.

All Digital inputs including Bluetooth are all but silent when no music playing. Just a very faint (ear next to speaker) hiss even when volume is turned up to full. Analogue (RCA) input has significantly more noise and is quite noticeable at full volume but at normal listening levels is quite acceptable. I am guessing this is because of the rather basic ADC used on the front end which potentially spoils an otherwise excellent amplifier.

The Analogue input is not very sensitive !! I have had to set the volume level at 4 times the setting for normal domestic equipment probably outputting less than 600mV. Clearly this input is expecting more like 2 volts to allow full volume. I have not yet looked to see if there is any way to adjust the input sensitivity !? Instructions that come with the unit are quite basic. This may be a problem if you regularly switch between inputs as we plan to be doing between Optical and the RCA inputs.

Schlippwhip68

D03 Update from first day of playing.

All Digital inputs including Bluetooth are all but silent when no music playing. Just a very faint (ear next to speaker) hiss even when volume is turned up to full. Analogue (RCA) input has significantly more noise and is quite noticeable at full volume but at normal listening levels is quite acceptable. I am guessing this is because of the rather basic ADC used on the front end which potentially spoils an otherwise excellent amplifier.

The Analogue input is not very sensitive !! I have had to set the volume level at 4 times the setting for normal domestic equipment probably outputting less than 600mV. Clearly this input is expecting more like 2 volts to allow full volume. I have not yet looked to see if there is any way to adjust the input sensitivity !? Instructions that come with the unit are quite basic. This may be a problem if you regularly switch between inputs as we plan to be doing between Optical and the RCA inputs.
I wonder if that problem can be modded at home..?

Schlippwhip68

I am experiencing a random dropout in the audio at the moment. Its only for a microsecond and i am troubleshooting the issue as to the source. It might be my PC but not too sure yet. If anyone else experiences this then please post at least it may help others as well as myself tick off the suspects in the chain.

Bushellj

I wonder if that problem can be modded at home..?
I need to play with the RCA input and try various different sources. The ADC chip is integrated into the main motherboard of the amplifier so I don’t think there is any opportunity to modify any of the basic functions within the amplfier. The only thing you might want to try is upgrading or possibly bypassing the main Power Supply Capacitor with a couple of smaller values such as 10uF and 0.1uF but the SQ out of the box is pretty good with the standard capacitor.

Schlippwhip68

I need to play with the RCA input and try various different sources. The ADC chip is integrated into the main motherboard of the amplifier so I don’t think there is any opportunity to modify any of the basic functions within the amplfier. The only thing you might want to try is upgrading or possibly bypassing the main Power Supply Capacitor with a couple of smaller values such as 10uF and 0.1uF but the SQ out of the box is pretty good with the standard capacitor.
I agree, out of the box the D03 is very good. If we go back 30 years this kind of sound quality would have cost much, much more than Aiyima have charged for the D03. I did find that the treble does have to be greatly increased over the bass to qualify a balanced sound out of the Bluetooth. Again, not really a big issue but I think that with the vision that Aiyima may have for the future they will improve the Bass/treble balance as well as the RCA so their next model maybe a much improved version in respect of actual tonal balance as well as the RCA input...imo. Incidentally I don't mind criticism on my post so feel free to express your hearts on my opinions. That's a shame about home modding..reminds of late Apple...who ironically tout a creative edge but lock their own sytems...no worries though.

Last edited:

jankz

I am experiencing a random dropout in the audio at the moment. Its only for a microsecond and i am troubleshooting the issue as to the source. It might be my PC but not too sure yet. If anyone else experiences this then please post at least it may help others as well as myself tick off the suspects in the chain.
I am having the same dropout for a microsecond issue. Aiyima D03 connected to my PC via USB. For what it's worth, MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk WiFi motherboard.

Walter

I am having the same dropout for a microsecond issue. Aiyima D03 connected to my PC via USB. For what it's worth, MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk WiFi motherboard.
I'm definitely interested to hear if anyone can resolve this issue, and/or if it occurs using the optical input.

jankz

I'll try to make this a little more scientific over this weekend and into next week. For now, I've been listening from the PC through optical for the last half hour and haven't heard a dropout yet. I'm using Amazon Music desktop app (premium mode) on Windows 11. I usually don't have exclusive mode on, so I believe the dropouts have only happened with exclusive mode off so far.

Schlippwhip68

I'll try to make this a little more scientific over this weekend and into next week. For now, I've been listening from the PC through optical for the last half hour and haven't heard a dropout yet. I'm using Amazon Music desktop app (premium mode) on Windows 11. I usually don't have exclusive mode on, so I believe the dropouts have only happened with exclusive mode off so far.
Hey,
Thanks for contributing. I will have a look at what you have suggested here in Windows 10 too. I'm using the D03 with my PC via USB too, the PC being a HP 800G2 Micro.

Ok just taken a look and mine was actually in exclusive mode. I did find that only 48hz was ticked in the sample support section and so now have amended that to 44.1, 48, 96, and 192hz. I'm not holding my breath as a fix for the dropout though. As it exclusive mode was already on i guess it wouldn't hurt to go the opposite way and turn it off and see what happens. It's early morning here in the UK and can't test it yet but will report back when I get a better opportunity to do so.

Last edited:

Walter

If anyone has a chance to test the D03 with Linux, please report if this issue is present on USB and/or optical. (And for good measure, your distro and kernel version.) It is currently the leading candidate to match with a pair of Wharfedale 12.1 or 12.2 when I can actually travel to get them. (And hopefully after Amir has tested the 12.2, as he implied that he has already purchased either that or the 12.0 for testing.)

Top Bottom