• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 19.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 76.5%

• Total voters

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sure, what you cannot see is that the solder at the base of the pin runs on to the casing of the EMI and that is in continuity with both screws onto the backplate. So do you think that is not enough and I need a separate ground lead onto the chassis ?
Yes. It’s better practice and ensures minimal resistance btw ground and chassis which certainly won’t hurt if the chassis ever gets any main current by accident.

howard416

Sure, what you cannot see is that the solder at the base of the pin runs on to the casing of the EMI and that is in continuity with both screws onto the backplate. So do you think that is not enough and I need a separate ground lead onto the chassis ?

I do the grounding bolt a little differently but what is shown is certainly good enough.

Cherian

Here it is . Ensured good contact with the chassis

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_110153394.jpg
    IMG_20240106_110153394.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 146

charlielaub

Here it is . Ensured good contact with the chassis
The connection between chassis and earth ground is not how it should be. Did you expose bare metal on the chassis panel where the screw makes the connection? If there is any paint or even anodization it should be removed (ground or sanded off) first to make sure this safety connection is very low impedance. It is also part of the shielding of the internal circuits from the outside world and a poor electrical connection may worsen hum and EMI pickup.

It's a nice touch, but I don't think you really needed to use heat shrink tubing around the Faston connector. There is no dangerous voltage on or current flowing through the earth ground, unlike live and neutral.

howard416

The connection between chassis and earth ground is not how it should be. Did you expose bare metal on the chassis panel where the screw makes the connection? If there is any paint or even anodization it should be removed (ground or sanded off) first to make sure this safety connection is very low impedance. It is also part of the shielding of the internal circuits from the outside world and a poor electrical connection may worsen hum and EMI pickup.

It's a nice touch, but I don't think you really needed to use heat shrink tubing around the Faston connector. There is no dangerous voltage on or current flowing through the earth ground, unlike live and neutral.
Hard to tell from the photo but I thought there was a bit of sanding done around where the ground is connected to chassis bottom panel.

Agree on the heat shrink but some people just like to have strain relief everywhere. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn't hiding anything. :)

I asked Audiophonics to change their title) As I stated above, the user guide link is wrong on the Audiophonics site but the pictures are the correct ones.
I have already ordered from Audiophonics the stereo version and I received the correct version, look at my DIY projects
Thank you for your help, audiophonics send me all info and i placed a order with tho moduules monos and a pair of linear psu and big eco case and xlr, wire etc

Just finished this and sounds great. I don't have eanytesting equipment or knowledge but it does sound fantastic.
The modules are from 3e.
View attachment 338086
wow!!!! love it!!! actually im doing also a linear powered dual mono 3e pffb !!!! woww looks gorgeus!!!! did you use a symetrical linear psu board???? i could not find single voltaje linear psu board so i will try to use two (good friend advised me dual mono) symetrical linear psu board (and a pair or symetrical toroidy toroidals) btw your toroidal is insulated i think is better than mine also!!! other question i will use the same wiring you are using, you are using a iec conector with switch, fuse and indicator led integrated right???? does it works perfectly right???
Thank you sorry for my bad english is not my original language

daniboun

Major Contributor
wow!!!! love it!!! actually im doing also a linear powered dual mono 3e pffb !!!! woww looks gorgeus!!!! did you use a symetrical linear psu board???? i could not find single voltaje linear psu board so i will try to use two (good friend advised me dual mono) symetrical linear psu board (and a pair or symetrical toroidy toroidals) btw your toroidal is insulated i think is better than mine also!!! other question i will use the same wiring you are using, you are using a iec conector with switch, fuse and indicator led integrated right???? does it works perfectly right???
Thank you sorry for my bad english is not my original language

You can find Linear Power Supply Module with 4x 10000uf caps @ audiophonics.
Quite honestly, I have mounted several TPA325Xs with linear power supplies but apart from taking up more space, weighing more and costing more.... this type of PSU has almost no interest with the TPA325X modules.

One my first project when I started testing the TPA325X chips )

IMG-20200427-225715.jpg

Quite honestly, I have mounted several TPA325Xs with linear power supplies but apart from taking up more space, weighing more and costing more.... this type of PSU has almost no interest with the TPA325X modules.

IMG-20200427-225715.jpg
Thank you for reply, i know there is a lot of linear power supply boards on audiophonics but if i checked right, all are symetric (+/- voltage, dual rail) but there is ANY SINGLE RAIL linear power supply board on audiophonics?????????
thank you
Regards
antonio

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you for reply, i know there is a lot of linear power supply boards on audiophonics but if i checked right, all are symetric (+/- voltage, dual rail) but there is ANY SINGLE RAIL linear power supply board on audiophonics?????????
thank you
Regards
antonio

Works fine in single rail )

One of my project with the old 3E Audio module )

1704902638730.png

This one should fit as well )

Works fine in single rail )

One of my project with the old 3E Audio module )

View attachment 340972

This one should fit as well )

wonderful!!!! that also has to sounds so good. Excelent seriously this is my model to follow! but the link of the psu of audiophonics you just shared is a dual rail (voltage +, voltage - also) how did you wire it to the 3e single voltage module and to the toroidal and iec and switch/led? thank you
Again that loooks goorgeous

daniboun

Major Contributor
wonderful!!!! that also has to sounds so good. Excelent seriously this is my model to follow! but the link of the psu of audiophonics you just shared is a dual rail (voltage +, voltage - also) how did you wire it to the 3e single voltage module and to the toroidal and iec and switch/led? thank you
Again that loooks goorgeous

Works for both, dual / single )
If you need single rail mode, don't use the "ground" wire (middle).

That's all

1704904232799.png

IMG-20200427-225715.jpg
Bonjour, for me a linear psu really does a difference, i know it doesnt meaausres better needed -well, the ATI NCXX (hypex nc500 with linear all psu) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ati-at522nc-stereo-amplifier-review.9999/ measures slightly better than Nord nc500 (smps)) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/ - but for me sounds slightly better dynamics and punch. My dream amp is to build an all linear psu purifi 1et400a stereo unit. Now i have a linear psu hypex ucd180hghxr and im almost happy with it, only missing some detail in treble....because of class d module is older i guess, less sinad

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Bonjour, for me a linear psu really does a difference, i know it doesnt meaausres better needed -well, the ATI NCXX (hypex nc500 with linear all psu) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ati-at522nc-stereo-amplifier-review.9999/ measures slightly better than Nord nc500 (smps)) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/ - but for me sounds slightly better dynamics and punch. My dream amp is to build an all linear psu purifi 1et400a stereo unit. Now i have a linear psu hypex ucd180hghxr and im almost happy with it, only missing some detail in treble....because of class d module is older i guess, less sinad

Once again, having tested numerous combinations, this will not bring you anything convincing... I invite you to wait for my next thread where I will introduce my current project: 3E Audio 260-2-29A module + Micro-Audio unregulated PSU.

index.php

maxchau

IMG-20200427-225715.jpg
Hi Dani, what is your assessment for this board which I was interested in quite a while? thanks

Top Bottom