• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

I am not trying to suggest that Drop is a fraud or anything. Obviously they are in business and must have mostly satisfied customers, it just didn't work for me. I think many modern "disruptive businesses" work until they don't. Another example of something I don't do is Uber or Lyft. I am guessing based on my life experience that many of their drivers haven't told their insurance companies that their vehicles are in commercial service, which means no coverage if there is an accident and the insurance company finds out. Opinions like this might make me either a cautious man or a stupid old fool, you decide. As to retailers in general not having inventory, it is a plague. Amazon (or their marketplace) cancelled two "in stock" items I ordered this Christmas season, because "in stock" now means we think we know where we can get that!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not trying to suggest that Drop is a fraud or anything. Obviously they are in business and must have mostly satisfied customers, it just didn't work for me. I think many modern "disruptive businesses" work until they don't. Another example of something I don't do is Uber or Lyft. I am guessing based on my life experience that many of their drivers haven't told their insurance companies that their vehicles are in commercial service, which means no coverage if there is an accident and the insurance company finds out. Opinions like this might make me either a cautious man or a stupid old fool, you decide. As to retailers in general not having inventory, it is a plague. Amazon (or their marketplace) cancelled two "in stock" items I ordered this Christmas season, because "in stock" now means we think we know where we can get that!

Sorry. I just don't get the downside on drop's business model as long as you are good with the wait. It's not remotely similar to your Uber/Lyft insurance example, where I could understand someone might be uncomfortable with that.

And the main reason I'm responding is because I'm trying to be encouraging. There are a lot of good deals to be had for audiophiles through drop.com if you can get over your fear of them. I find them to be a very reliable vendor.

gikigill

Drop is a lot more secure and innovative than other models. You always get what you want at a lower price and a wait time plus the manufacturer also gets to use idle tooling and moulds etc.

The FD-X1 is a good example of JVC releasing their top notch IEM worldwide instead of making it Japanese market only (their usual modus operandi). I am a bit salty though as I imported the FD01SP from Japan but then again how many folks will go the bother of ordering from Japan and the shipping and language hassles involved.

The 6XX also is a super hit as it got Sennheiser 90k units in sales and its customers a cut price HD650.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Drop has the Topping DX7s DAC/amp up right now for US $325 (down from $500).
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s

The format of Amir's DX7s review is a little different than what he does now, so if you're looking for the SINAD it's 108 (you can see Amir's post here).

Estimated ship date is Jan 31, 2020

Budgeter

Does anyone know when Drop ends current "decade" sale?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Does anyone know when Drop ends current "decade" sale?

It might be over, at least for now. When I click on the "Deals of the Decade" link in the email from Dec 31st it simply takes me to Drop's home page, not a separate "Decade" section like it used to.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like you want to be ripped off. No-name website without mailing address? Come on, man.
They are legit. They are in China.

I saw Hifigo previously mentioned on head-fi that someone had ordered from them. So I used them a couple of weeks ago to order the Meizu Pro dongle. Smooth transaction.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are legit. They are in China.

I saw Hifigo previously mentioned on head-fi that someone had ordered from them. So I used them a couple of weeks ago to order the Meizu Pro dongle. Smooth transaction.

With such a random online retailer doing an international order, your odds of a fake are higher and your odds of a return for bad equipment are lower.

Top Bottom