• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Krunok

Major Contributor
yes i installed them

You don't have to choose anything in Windows. When your player will be playing music over ASIO output the ASIO driver will automatically switch DAC to the required bitrate of the music file being played. Same thing applies for WASAPI.

You should do best if you let your DirectSound driver to be the default sound output for Windows so that Windows sounds don't mix with the music being played.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
So you think/confirm that a DTS5.1 stream can going through a DAC from USB port to SPDIF output ... I never could be able to test this because my DAC do not have an SPDIF ouput ... I will be very interested if someone have tested this type of settings

Dolby Digital and DTS are supported via optical audio. Note this does not include lossless dolby/DTS nor Dolby Atmos which is outside of SPDIF spec, only lossy compressed variants.

Last edited:

Talisker

I know that SPDIF have limited specs, but I have a big doubt that DAC chips let this specific stream going through, I don't see anything in the DAC specs about multi-channel treatment or behavior, and I can't test it; This gear seem to be capable of ... USB Streamer , but it's really a DAC just a streamer.

Talisker

Thanks Amir, So the only way to do this is using sound card like the Asus Xonar U5/7 ? or have 2 different device on 2 USB port, one for Hifi another for AV 6.1 ? have you reviewed or tested this type of sound card ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Amir, So the only way to do this is using sound card like the Asus Xonar U5/7 ? or have 2 different device on 2 USB port, one for Hifi another for AV 6.1 ? have you reviewed or tested this type of sound card ?
If you need 6 channel output, then yes, you would need another sound card for that.

I have not tested Xonar but like to given its popularity.

FunctionalDoc

I have looked in the DX7S manual and was wondering if there is a good article to explain the filter settings?

I got my remote from Aliexpress and was worth the $20.44 that I spent.

I can now access the filter modes easily and trying to understand them.

Mode1 : apodizing fast roll-off filter
Mode2 : minimum phase slow roll-off filter
Mode3 : minimum phase fast roll-off filter
Mode4 : linear phase slow roll-off filter
Modes5 : linear phase fast roll-off filter
Mode 6 : brick wall filter
Mode7 : corrected minimum phase fast roll-off filter

What filters do most people use and when would select a different mode?

yue

I have looked in the DX7S manual and was wondering if there is a good article to explain the filter settings?

I got my remote from Aliexpress and was worth the $20.44 that I spent.

I can now access the filter modes easily and trying to understand them.

Mode1 : apodizing fast roll-off filter
Mode2 : minimum phase slow roll-off filter
Mode3 : minimum phase fast roll-off filter
Mode4 : linear phase slow roll-off filter
Modes5 : linear phase fast roll-off filter
Mode 6 : brick wall filter
Mode7 : corrected minimum phase fast roll-off filter

What filters do most people use and when would select a different mode?

you can refer to the es9038q2m datasheet. it's explained in detail in the end.

http://file2.dzsc.com/product/18/05/25/829029_170233543.pdf

start from page 53.

yue

If you need 6 channel output, then yes, you would need another sound card for that.

I have not tested Xonar but like to given its popularity.
amir I'm still waiting for the dx7s frequency response error under different filter settings.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
amir I'm still waiting for the dx7s frequency response error under different filter settings.
I know. I just got back from our trip yesterday and a lot of chores have backed up...

ripvw

Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here are the filter responses to a white noise source.

Filter 1
1532986235535.png

Filter 2
1532986249484.png

Filter 3
1532986262747.png

Filter 4:
1532986280071.png

Filter 5
1532986294742.png

Filter 6
1532986309599.png

Filter 7
1532986323167.png

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
And time domain response to a square wave:

Filter 1
View attachment 14400

Filter 2
View attachment 14401

Filter 3:
View attachment 14402

Filter 4:
View attachment 14403

Filter 5:
View attachment 14404

Filter 6
View attachment 14405

Filter 7
View attachment 14406
Question :)

Whilst a square wave (like a single sample impulse) are useful for characterising a filter time domain response, is it actually relevant to real world signals and systems?

A square wave should have an infinitely fast rise time and infinitely high bandwidth is required to recreate it accurately. We have a deliberately band limited system. If 48kHz sample rate its 24 kHz and is filtered by the adc. Put in a 23.9 kHz sine wave and what do you get out? A 23.9 kHz sine wave. Try putting in a single cycle of a 23.9 kHz sine wave and see what the wave form is like. Do we have pre post ringing?

I really don't know the answer I haven't tried it, just curious.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Whilst a square wave (like a single sample impulse) are useful for characterising a filter time domain response, is it actually relevant to real world signals and systems?
I post it just for filter's time domain response. It is hard to see what they are doing from frequency response alone.

And you are right, it is an illegal signal with no resemblance to anything in music. The waveforms I posted should only be used to determine what type of filter is in use, not how it will sound.

gvl

Major Contributor
Iirc Archimago or someone else did exploratory time-domain analysis of ringing with real audio signals, the conclusion was it could be an issue for badly mastered material with lots of clipping.

Top Bottom