• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

ta240

Major Contributor
Yeah. I think it's imposing a westernized value system to think that a Chinese company that does will potentially be unethical when it comes to customer service because they under estimate the price of the item. It really seems to me the Chinese vendors feel this is part of giving good customer service.

A lot of them also don't have issues with copyrights or trademarks.

My sense was that the company would not have been so upfront had they viewed it as an ethical or legal problem. It may not be -- for them.

I'm not sure that just because a group of people don't have a problem with something makes it okay even if it is a 'cultural thing'. Watching Mark Rober's latest glitter bomb video I was depressed to see that the package thieves weren't even the least bit on edge about stealing. They would literally say "I got some headphones" like they had just gone to the store and bought them when they brought the box home. One person even opened the stolen box in a T-Mobil store. Those people clearly thought there was nothing wrong with taking the box that wasn't theirs because it instantly became theirs when they picked it up.

There are people do plenty of much more horrific things than stealing packages that have no ethical issue with doing. I just can't give them a pass for it.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of them also don't have issues with copyrights or trademarks.

Yep. Neither do most people in most 3rd world countries. Neither did the US in the 1800s.

The Chinese government will become way more concerned about enforcing intellectual property laws once they become the leader in scientific and technological innovation, which they are very close to doing.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure that just because a group of people don't have a problem with something makes it okay even if it is a 'cultural thing'. Watching Mark Rober's latest glitter bomb video I was depressed to see that the package thieves weren't even the least bit on edge about stealing. They would literally say "I got some headphones" like they had just gone to the store and bought them when they brought the box home. One person even opened the stolen box in a T-Mobil store. Those people clearly thought there was nothing wrong with taking the box that wasn't theirs because it instantly became theirs when they picked it up.

Not a good example. In US culture, across race, ethnic, religious, and socioeconomic demographics, it is considered wrong to steal a package off a porch. Without a doubt. No gray area. People that do so know that it is considered wrong by the rest of people in their society.

I think it's a good guess that Chinese culture at large doesn't care if price estimates of items shipped internationally are underestimated. If that is the case, then it's not an indication that a Chinese vendor who does so will try to rip you off. That is you trying to apply your ethical values on their culture.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not some cultural relativism thing. This is breaking the rules by skirting taxes in order to gain a competitive advantage. They know it's illegal and wrong but they do it anyway. If you let them, you know you're doing something illegal and wrong. It's not complicated.

And fwiw, minidsp declared the full value of my shd studio. No bs from them. Of course Hong Kong is the only part of the prc with any history of rule of law, not rule through law.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not some cultural relativism thing. This is breaking the rules by skirting taxes in order to gain a competitive advantage. They know it's illegal and wrong but they do it anyway. If you let them, you know you're doing something illegal and wrong. It's not complicated.

That's not the issue being discussed here.

ta240 claimed that you can't trust Chinese vendors that understimate the price for the purpose of avoiding tariffs. To recap, that is applying his cultural ethical system of values, as the Chinese might not feel it's unethical, but rather a good business practice that one would do as part of good customer service.

Nango

Major Contributor
Their ethical system of values doesn't really matter. They know it's illegal or they don't. That only matters. They know, and they do it even then. So you can't trust them, nor do business with them. Simple as it is.

...., but rather a good business practice that one would do as part of good customer service.

Way better customer service would be selling cheaper, no doubt, but that they will never do.

If they advise you to breach the law it is sure to me, they (could) sell fakes and will fool you in case of repair service, warranty, etc. I have no doubt on that.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their ethical system of values doesn't really matter. They know it's illegal or they don't. That only matters. They know, and they do it even then. So you can't trust them, nor do business with them. Simple as it is.

Sure the ethical system matters, and it's not that simple. I'm a rare occasion pot smoker, but I will smoke pot regardless of whether or not the state I am in (or the Federal government) considers it illegal. I don't think of myself and all other pot smokers who have smoked illegally as untrustworthy, dishonest people.

Nango

Major Contributor
Different case here. I don't have to trust you what ever you do with your health. But if you were my doc and I see you smoking where it is prohibited be assured you won't see me twice in your hospital.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I come here to see if there are any deals posted. I am assuming most people do the same. Can we keep things on topic please?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lots of Chinese companies do this though.
American too
https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/psa-be-careful-dealing-with-uptone-audio.29848/#post-620754

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:37 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Y A:
Separately I just sent you the web invoice link for your heavily discounted order for a complete new package UltraCap LPS-1.2.
It will be ready to ship by October 15th, so you just need to complete payment before then.

The lowest we can declare the package to is $40 (plus $15 also listed for shipping on commercial invoice). It will be listed as a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT item. If we try to list for lower value there might be trouble with customs. Nobody will believe it is worth only $20.

Thanks and regards,

Alex Crespi
UpTone Audio LLC
--------------

On Sep 30, 2019, at 9:05 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

My details are as follows:

Name:

Yeong Aun Cheah

Delivery Address:
xxxxxxxx
Tel: xxxxxxxxx

Please declare as "USED TEST EQUIPMENT FOR COMPUTER AUDIO" with a marginal value of US$20 for customs purposes so I will not incur any duties on the package.

Sincerely

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
American too
https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/psa-be-careful-dealing-with-uptone-audio.29848/#post-620754

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:37 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Y A:
Separately I just sent you the web invoice link for your heavily discounted order for a complete new package UltraCap LPS-1.2.
It will be ready to ship by October 15th, so you just need to complete payment before then.

The lowest we can declare the package to is $40 (plus $15 also listed for shipping on commercial invoice). It will be listed as a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT item. If we try to list for lower value there might be trouble with customs. Nobody will believe it is worth only $20.

Thanks and regards,

Alex Crespi
UpTone Audio LLC
--------------

On Sep 30, 2019, at 9:05 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

My details are as follows:

Name:

Yeong Aun Cheah

Delivery Address:
xxxxxxxx
Tel: xxxxxxxxx

Please declare as "USED TEST EQUIPMENT FOR COMPUTER AUDIO" with a marginal value of US$20 for customs purposes so I will not incur any duties on the package.

Sincerely

Scammer is scammer. Except that low, low declared value is probably 100 times the actual usefulness of anything Uptone sells to its scam victims.

Mr. Olinad

If you're looking for an Ananda BT, this may be a good chance.
I received an email from Audiogon with a trade-up offer from Hifiman.
It seems to be limited to 100 pairs only.

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda-bt-trade-up.html?scr=Audiogon20200109
1579207721874.png

Top Bottom