• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd still prefer to consider an M66 (when it eventually releases!), Anthem STR pre, or I was recently looking at the DSpeaker Anti-Mode X4 that has caught my eye.

A second generation STR pre with HDMI ARC/CEC would be interesting as would a Classe Delta Pre with Audysey or Dirac.

andrew

The highlights:
4 sub outs
Dlrac Live Bass Control
No mention of loudness compensation, unfortunately (do NAD AVR/P products generally offer loudness compensation)?

IMO it's on the pricey side, and unless there's current need right now I'd probably wait for Dirac ART to shake out and see what offers that technology. But if you want more than 2 subs (in which case Lyngdorf has a few options) and don't want surround/rear/height channels you won't use, now there's finally an option.

It also bodes well that NAD might finally modernize the room correction in their AVR/P lines, given that this one uses the same MDC things.
I’m the ‘target customer’ in that I run a stereo setup for movies as well as music, with a system based on full-range main speakers with multiple subs and an aging mini-DSP 10x10. The attraction is DLBC and DART but the value proposition vs an AVR/P that supports the same Dirac modules isn’t super clear. Sure, I’m not paying for features that I’m not using but, paradoxically, the price is still well above that for X3800H or HTP-1. I guess that the smaller footprint, hi-fi cred, lower heat … are the value?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, I’m not paying for features that I’m not using but, paradoxically, the price is still well above that for X3800H or HTP-1. I guess that the smaller footprint, hi-fi cred, lower heat … are the value?

It’s hard to know. Denon hasn’t explicitly promised Dirac ART on the X3800H, so if Masimo decides to artificial tier ART to the 6800H/A1H, that could be a real option.

For the HTP-1, it’s pretty much a bargain when it’s on sale. I guess the limitation is that it doesn’t have balanced analog in and there’s no phono stage. Unlike Denon, the HTP-1 has public commitment of ART and @TimoJ apparently has an alpha version running, but it seems to be taking a long time. The Storm Audio exclusivity ended a while back but we don’t even see the Focal Astra “by Storm Audio” having Dirac ART yet either.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m the ‘target customer’ in that I run a stereo setup for movies as well as music, with a system based on full-range main speakers with multiple subs and an aging mini-DSP 10x10. The attraction is DLBC and DART but the value proposition vs an AVR/P that supports the same Dirac modules isn’t super clear. Sure, I’m not paying for features that I’m not using but, paradoxically, the price is still well above that for X3800H or HTP-1. I guess that the smaller footprint, hi-fi cred, lower heat … are the value?
I own an HTP-1 (two actually - 1 in an immersive setup and 1 in a 2-channel setup and for a while had an NAD M27 amp. NAD's M-series casework is much more expensive looking. That matters quite a bit to some. And why not?

andrew

I own an HTP-1 (two actually - 1 in an immersive setup and 1 in a 2-channel setup and for a while had an NAD M27 amp. NAD's M-series casework is much more expensive looking. That matters quite a bit to some. And why not?
Yes, agree that casework, form factor … will be of value to some

Nocko!

@markrubin:
Thanks you. Interesting. How do you know?

I am waiting for a manual to be published and my questions about a "display off" function and a "Hometheater Bypass" was answered by the NAD support with a simplified "we don't know, wait for the manual to be published"...

Despite all the (fake?) reviews you can find I doubt if there is a single fully working M66 somewhere in the world. Sorry, I am in a bad mood. Waiting for the M66 since nearly nine months now...
Nocko!

markrubin

Check out the video right above: he mentions it is a feature that will be added…..

Nocko!

Oh yes, thanks! "Overheared" this. Still a lot of "will-have". Have to wait for a manual or more information here after the first M66s are delivered.
Nocko!

Lüdi

The M66 will certainly have a temporary LCD display setting, my M33 has one too.

Nocko!

Yes, I know about the display settings in the M33 (I don't own one, I have read the manual). But unfortunately the display in my M17V2 (a home cinema device!) is always on. Although there were a lot of complaints about this, NAD didn't change a thing. This is one of the reasons why I am so careful / suspicious of all the announcements and reviews.
Nocko!

emme

Yes, I know about the display settings in the M33 (I don't own one, I have read the manual). But unfortunately the display in my M17V2 (a home cinema device!) is always on. Although there were a lot of complaints about this, NAD didn't change a thing. This is one of the reasons why I am so careful / suspicious of all the announcements and reviews.
Nocko!
M66 certainly gets hyped a lot before delivery . makes me suspicious too . there will be a lot of reviews once it is released , hopefully something reliable and trustworthy.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAD M66 can - decidedly - be called 'vaporware'...
202402_TappingFingers00.gif

... but I still put a hifihaven trade-in request for my multi-channel Rotel pre/Proc.

DanR

Question for the group... had a salesperson from Upscale Audio tell me today that they just received several M66 units and they available to ship now. This contradicts info I've received from other dealers who indicated it will be several more weeks until they have any in stock (Crutchfield said mid March). On top of this, the guy offered to take $500 off the list price.

Anyone have experience with these guys?

markrubin

finally: it is heavy....;

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg