• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The highlights:
4 sub outs
Dlrac Live Bass Control
No mention of loudness compensation, unfortunately (do NAD AVR/P products generally offer loudness compensation)?

IMO it's on the pricey side, and unless there's current need right now I'd probably wait for Dirac ART to shake out and see what offers that technology. But if you want more than 2 subs (in which case Lyngdorf has a few options) and don't want surround/rear/height channels you won't use, now there's finally an option.

It also bodes well that NAD might finally modernize the room correction in their AVR/P lines, given that this one uses the same MDC things.

al2002

Thanks for the post. I too have been looking for a full featured preamp for my 2.2 stereo system and this might just fit the bill. However, the devil is in the details and in order to make an informed purchase decision the prospective customer needs to know more, e.g. crossover frequencies and slopes, are they fixed or variable, and whether the sub outputs are stereo or mono. NAD have a lower priced preamp in their lineup - the 658 - with Dirac and subwoofer outputs but, unfortunately, my requests for information were ignored. Let’s hope they are more responsive when asked for info on a 5.5k preamp.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If there is ever a chance that software DSP(Audiolense and Acourate etc) which is essentially significanlty more adavanced than hardware DSP on AVRs dont have delay with speech then we can just use a $100 Chinese DAC and very affordable software DSP implementation. 5000 Euros is absolutely crazy for a Preamp.

The idea is great, I don't use surrounds and a big fan of room correction on AVRs such Dirac as they don't have the problem with delay to dialogue, I also enjoy the compression features like Dynamic volume and the big colume pots they come with.

Hangloose was meant to have remedied the delay problem but its not perfect. So, this stereo preamp has a place in the market section but for 5000 I will stick to my low SINAD second hand Marantz AVR and wait for technology to improve or prices to come down.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Thanks for the post. I too have been looking for a full featured preamp for my 2.2 stereo system and this might just fit the bill. However, the devil is in the details and in order to make an informed purchase decision the prospective customer needs to know more, e.g. crossover frequencies and slopes, are they fixed or variable, and whether the sub outputs are stereo or mono. NAD have a lower priced preamp in their lineup - the 658 - with Dirac and subwoofer outputs but, unfortunately, my requests for information were ignored. Let’s hope they are more responsive when asked for info on a 5.5k preamp.
You would think that at this price point it would offer what an AVR should offer.

The 658 looks like a stereo pre amp without any real options. If the M66 has variable crossovers, dynamic volume and room correction at a slighlty lower price then I think it is a decent option.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, the devil is in the details and in order to make an informed purchase decision the prospective customer needs to know more, e.g. crossover frequencies and slopes, are they fixed or variable,

Not really. Here you know it has DLBC.

If there is ever a chance that software DSP(Audiolense and Acourate etc) which is essentially significanlty more adavanced than hardware DSP on AVRs…

What’s the basis for that claim?

SDC

With Earc and trigger, will be end game TV speaker for the rich. Well thats not me for sure...

Reactions: EJC

ghtan

"... M66 has a selectable Analogue Direct mode that bypasses all digital processing..." - wonder if this means HT bypass?

al2002

Not really. Here you know it has DLBC.
DLBC by itself is not sufficient for all users unless it permits user control of crossover frequencies and slopes. I’ve not used DLBC, but a quick look on the Dirac page did not show much on this topic. So if DLBC doesn’t allow software control of crossover slopes and frequencies, the preamp needs to to do this in hardware. MiniDSP Flex, Trinnov Amethyst, Tact (20+ years old), DEQX (also decades old) give the user control over crossovers as do software solutions like Acourate, so a new product in the 5k price range should have this functionality, hardware or software defined, at a minimum.

pogo

Major Contributor
Possible with NAD devices and DLBC.
Not necessary with DLART in the future.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The highlights:
4 sub outs
Dlrac Live Bass Control
No mention of loudness compensation, unfortunately (do NAD AVR/P products generally offer loudness compensation)?

IMO it's on the pricey side, and unless there's current need right now I'd probably wait for Dirac ART to shake out and see what offers that technology. But if you want more than 2 subs (in which case Lyngdorf has a few options) and don't want surround/rear/height channels you won't use, now there's finally an option.

It also bodes well that NAD might finally modernize the room correction in their AVR/P lines, given that this one uses the same MDC things.
Lots of features mentioned but as far as I can see not a single specification given.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Lots of features mentioned but as far as I can see not a single specification given.

"We believe the M66 represents the pinnacle of what is technically achievable today," says Cas Oostvogel, product manager, NAD Electronics.

It has reached the pinnacle, no need for specs.

pogo

Major Contributor
For me, two questions already arise:

1) What is the sonic difference between an M66 and an M33 with deactivated Purifis?

2) Is it also possible with the M66 to output the Dirac Live filters via the headphone output, i.e. to equalize headphones?

janbth

… crossover frequencies and slopes, are they fixed or variable, and whether the sub outputs are stereo or mono.
FWIW, I own an M33, with «regular» Dirac Live, and for that model at least, crossover frequencies are selectable from 40 to 200 Hz in 10 Hz steps. Slopes are not selectable. Sub outputs are mono.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DLBC by itself is not sufficient for all users unless it permits user control of crossover frequencies and slopes.

DLBC allows the user to pick the subs/mains xover point. For whatever reason, it seems to default to 70Hz with capable speakers, but you can move the xover slider around and it will recalculate the filters. I think filter order is fixed 4th order acoustic - I'll have to check though.

Conceded, for some it's the journey of fiddling with gear rather than the destination of enjoying music that excites. In that case one should probably use one of miniDSP's fine products (or BSS BLU, QSC Q-Sys, Ashly Protea, etc.) or, if one has specialized knowledge and/or a self-loathing streak, do everything in a general-purpose computer.

I’ve not used DLBC,

I'd recommend trying it!

For 2.2-channel Lyngdorf is a viable option as well. Their stereo products have 2 sub outs.

For me, two questions already arise:

1) What is the sonic difference between an M66 and an M33 with deactivated Purifis?

2) Is it also possible with the M66 to output the Dirac Live filters via the headphone output, i.e. to equalize headphones?
1) M33 looks vastly inferior - fancy amps vs. advanced automated subs-main integration is not a trade a reasonable and knowledgable person will make. It appears to have two MDC blanks; maybe NAD will modernize M33 with additional subwoofer outputs and DLBC on an MDC thingy. In that case IMO it would be a very compelling package.

2) No - Dirac Live as currently configured cannot measure headphones, or effect correction in the absence of measurements.

pogo

Major Contributor
1)
DLBC is still being rolled out for the M33 and other NAD products. The M33, for example, only has two sub outs, which will be perfectly adequate when DLART is rolled out. Less is more is promised here ;)

2)
This is not quite correct ;)
I correct my headphones with it and take the data from an existing database. With a miniDSP EARS you could also make measurements yourself, see also here and the following: Link

al2002

DLBC allows the user to pick the subs/mains xover point. For whatever reason, it seems to default to 70Hz with capable speakers, but you can move the xover slider around and it will recalculate the filters. I think filter order is fixed 4th order acoustic - I'll have to check though.

Good, looks promising. Would like to know more about how four woofer bass is managed. Will wait for the manual to appear on line. Also NAD claim high overload margins for the M66 phono stage - there was a thread on this topic here. And protection against inter-sample clipping.

Conceded, for some it's the journey of fiddling with gear rather than the destination of enjoying music that excites. In that case one should probably use one of miniDSP's fine products (or BSS BLU, QSC Q-Sys, Ashly Protea, etc.) or, if one has specialized knowledge and/or a self-loathing streak, do everything in a general-purpose computer.

Self - loathing? Not sure what this is all about.

I'd recommend trying it!

I expect to, when the right component comes along.

For 2.2-channel Lyngdorf is a viable option as well. Their stereo products have 2 sub outs.

Agree. So do Tact, Trinnov, DEQX. Room Perfect is more automated compared to some of the other systems.

Last edited:

juliangst

I really like the NAD design and that you get 4 XLR subwoofer outs for DLBC.

But for just 1000€ more (7000€ msrp, prices will obviously drop) you can also get a Marantz AV10 which measures transparently (105dB SINAD and good SNR) and it basically has everything the NAD has as well (like streaming, HDMI, 4 XLR sub outs).
With immersive music formats like Dolby Atmos becoming widely available it's really worth it to have more channels to expand to in the future imho.

But if you can't accomodate more than 2 speakers and want a nice all-in-one solution the NAD is still a good offer.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1)
DLBC is still being rolled out for the M33 and other NAD products. The M33, for example, only has two sub outs, which will be perfectly adequate when DLART is rolled out. Less is more is promised here ;)

2)
This is not quite correct ;)
I correct my headphones with it and take the data from an existing database. With a miniDSP EARS you could also make measurements yourself, see also here and the following: Link
NAD has confirmed they are doing DLART? I have not heard that yet. Has this been confirmed anywhere yet? It is encouraging the M66 has DLBC. It will be interesting on which other past products will have it.

Top Bottom