• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Nc502mp Review (6 Channel Amplifer)

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
McFly, as an electrician, what is a general average guess at the approximate cost to have an electrician come and install or convert a 120 to a 240 wall plug? I have always wondered at what the cost range would be. $300 to $400? More? Thanks for any info.
I'm in NZ so I cant speak for the states and what US contractors rates might be, but we have a satirical saying here and that's "you cant get a contractor to your house for less than a grand" :p. But in all seriousness it is difficult to say because for example a rather cheap install would be if your house switchboard was on the back/same wall to your listening room and an expensive install would be if your house was all concrete/plaster construction with no services access space in ceiling or below floor (i.e. single-level flat-slab, low pitch roof) and the switchboard was on the other side of the house from the listening room.

If I were to throw a dart I'd think around 600 USD would be an average

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Taller case would mean that I couldn’t fit 2 of these amps in my rack space as shown in the photos I posted. Thus I am very happy with the existing jack orientation and placement on the amps. I hope that helps clarify.
We are not talking about your needs here. If you are happy, good for you. Both @amirm and I are talking about usability.

Jbrunwa

We are not talking about your needs here. If you are happy, good for you. Both @amirm and I are talking about usability.
And I am allowed to respectfully disagree and state that the knowledge of how to insert and remove an XLR plug is expected user knowledge, and if you orient the jack the other way there would not be enough clearance to get your fingers in there to release the plug. Usability is usually analyzed by use case and I have presented photos and a use case as supporting evidence. I rest my (use) case.

Last edited:

Qbd

I would assume that being class-D, there is minimal inrush current and no need to worry about popping a breaker on startup.
Actually according to the datasheet, each module has a worst-case inrush current of 55 A. So with several modules on the same breaker it could easily become a problem.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If I were to throw a dart I'd think around 600 USD would be an average
Strongly depends on where in the US. Here in the rurals, I can get a line run for under $400. Back in California, add a zero.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a facility for clipping indication in the modules. March Audio use it, the power LED flashes if clipping. There is also a current sensor that can be used to indicate power, with a bit of effort.
I have asked about this a few times as well. I would love to see clipping lights added. Although I certainly understand wanting to keep costs down. But it would be really nice IMO.

Labjr

Major Contributor
If you can install a home theater system and speaker wiring in the walls, you can probably add a circuit to your panel and run a piece of romex to your theater room.

Jbrunwa

I have asked about this a few times as well. I would love to see clipping lights added. Although I certainly understand wanting to keep costs down. But it would be really nice IMO.
It might be a nice option. But I would need hearing protection before they would ever clip in my HT.:p

McFly

Actually according to the datasheet, each module has a worst-case inrush current of 55 A. So with several modules on the same breaker it could easily become a problem.
More likely to burn out whatever is switching the load rather than trip the breaker. Not a fire hazard, it will just eventually cover the contacts in carbon and the switch will stop conducting (working). Capacitance inrush (of basically any appliance with a SMPS) is extremely short unlike motor inrush currents. This wears out switches, relays and contactors if not correctly rated.

I cannot confirm, but I would safely bet that the switch on the IEC inlet of these amplifiers is designed to handle high capacitance switching.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I understand the dis-taste of the XLR connectors being upside down. While easier wiring on my end is a factor of the initial reason I did this when I first started building, with my new cases the decision was also kept to keep the height of the case smaller (as one user has pointed out, if the tab was right side up, it would be difficult to disconnect the XLR without first removing the speaker cables).

One option I will now explore is at least putting the tabs side ways (like the NAD) so I can keep the height of the case the same. This would not be implemented until next year as I already have a large stock of all the cases on hand.

Luckily I have a few small tweaks in my head that would roll around next year. One of them involves having the ability to change case color for a small premium. Again, this is not final nor guaranteed, but one of the planned "yearly" upgrades I am thinking of offering.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my gosh... Buckeye is selling amps at amazing rock bottom prices with awesome specs and people want to complain about the XLR orientation, no clipping lights and want the case taller? Why don't they go buy the $4400 NAD and let price minded individuals enjoy the Buckeye Nc502mp just the way it is. I have experienced decisions by committee before and they always screw everything up. If you don't like it pay more elsewhere. :p

testp

I’m surprised this amplifier does not have golfing panther despite being in the blue region.

Is that rating reserved for the ABH2 level only moving on? Because nothing sensibly priced per Watt will ever beat this performance.
Allo has something in works, when looking at another thread, but who knows when its coming out...

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...if the tab was right side up, it would be difficult to disconnect the XLR without first removing the speaker cables...
That's a positive, if the amp's still powered. We all know better, but it's bound to happen to a few Buckeye amps eventually.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my gosh... Buckeye is selling amps at amazing rock bottom prices with awesome specs and people want to complain about the XLR orientation, no clipping lights and want the case taller? Why don't they go buy the $4400 NAD and let price minded individuals enjoy the Buckeye Nc502mp just the way it is. I have experienced decisions by committee before and they always screw everything up. If you don't like it pay more elsewhere. :p
I understand where you are coming from for sure. But on the other hand if you have read the first review many suggestions were made on the case, cable routing etc which @Buckeye Amps did choose to implement. As with all things there are trade offs on all of the suggestions, improvements, features etc that he has to weigh. It is for sure an amazing value and am enjoying my 8 channel NC252 based amp as well.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Let’s try to move on from this connector orientation debate please.

Buckeye offers a no frills, pure performance focused product. It’s not eye candy, and this is where he shaves off major costs and passes these savings to customers. As a customer, I don’t want to look at the amp. I want to hear it and not see it. It’s a perfect match for my needs and based on Dylan’s back order wait list, I’m not alone in this.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VTV offers an 8 channel NC502 in their 19inx20in case. I was always hoping for an 8 channel NC502 from @Buckeye Amps . Maybe if there is enough demand a new larger case could be offered to accommodate 4 modules.

Jdunk54nl

VTV offers an 8 channel NC502 in their 19inx20in case. I was always hoping for an 8 channel NC502 from @Buckeye Amps . Maybe if there is enough demand a new larger case could be offered to accommodate 4 modules.
That is getting to be a DEEP case. 13" deep is getting to be nearly too deep for most traditional tv stands you can buy AND that look nice (Not cheap ones you can get at walmart). Width isn't as much of an issue, but depth is.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My NC252 amp is working great. Can't say I like the XLR orientation, but unlike my live sound and recording gear, the amp gets hooked up once and then it's not likely I'll touch the cables again for years so it's not a big deal to me. I tend to wrap my fingers around the plugs so my forefinger or thumb pushes on the latch whilst plugging in or removing the cable, a trick picked up years ago from having to set up and tear down live sound systems with tens or hundreds of connectors. This is a consumer amp, not something I take on the road, though I suppose I could. If I still did that kind of stuff. It was fun but I am no longer up for working until 3 am for teardown and packing to go home.

Like others, I wonder if the power noise difference is the module and not the assembler.

Top Bottom