• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

AdamG

Safari “Troll” hunts available at reasonable rates
Forum Donor
images

ADU

Major Contributor
311px-Forbiddenplanetposter.jpg

Forbidden Planet (1953)

Classic SF sudser with some very nicely done visuals, featuring Leslie Nielsen (of The Naked Gun), Anne Francis, Walter Pidgeon, "Robby, the Robot", and Earl Holliman (as Cook), trying to deal with some unknown alien threat.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
The_Black_Hole.jpg

Disney's The Black Hole (1979)

More campy shenanigans somewhere out in space, on the brink of black hole. I don't think an HD version of this was ever released on disc. But maybe it can be streamed on Disney+?

ADU

Major Contributor
Hercules_%281997_film%29_poster.jpg

Hercules (1997)

Another fairly recent Disney animated feature I still enjoy. Some very nice voice work on this by James Woods, Danny DeVito, Susan Egan, Rip Torn, Tate Donovan, Bobcat Goldthwaite, Matt Frewer, and others. As well as alot of nice action and visuals, and sound.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
311px-Forbiddenplanetposter.jpg

Forbidden Planet (1953)

Classic SF sudser with some very nicely done visuals, featuring Leslie Nielsen (of The Naked Gun), Anne Francis, Walter Pidgeon, "Robby, the Robot", and Earl Holliman (as Cook), trying to deal some unknown alien threat.
I think you just picked my movie to watch tonight, lol.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know how well known this is, but if anyone wants an all-region Bluray / DVD player, Rattlebyte is your friend (4K UHD disks are region-free). Some USA sellers offer pre-modified players, but I went the DIY route. They say that once modified, you can freely update the firmware without fear.
When my Oppo players finally die, I will keep this site in mind. How difficult is it to install? The Oppos were easy, my newer model didn't even have to be opened, was an external mod.

ADU

Major Contributor
VonRyansExpress.jpg

Von Ryan's Express (1965)

There are alot of good films in the WWII genre. The Great Escape, The Battle of Britain, The Battle of the Bulge, and many others already mentioned here. This is another one which also stayed with me for some reason.

Top Bottom