• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

ADU

Major Contributor
The_mummy.jpg
The_Mummy_Returns_poster.jpg
The_Mummy_-_Tomb_of_the_Dragon_Emperor.jpg

I also enjoy (and would recommend) the 1990's-2000's Mummy series with Brendan Fraser. Which are always a pretty fun watch in my book.

Freeway

Bought Marantz UD-7006 Blu-ray player just when streaming took off. Doesn't get much if any use. Decided to do the Netflix DVD/Blu-ray thing. By time we watch the dang movie I could have bought it. Also not sure Netflix Blu-rays are actually the real thing.
I am now a buyer.
Here is one that is a lot of fun.
GUEST_60528461-6456-472c-9bf4-174fd0da39de.jpg

ADU

Major Contributor
Private_Life_of_Sherlock_Holmes_1970.jpg

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970)

Another Wilder classic with some stunning color cinematography of English & Scottish countryside and landmarks. Sound is only mono though, and rather tinny, and probably needs a little EQ-ing.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
I think you just picked my movie to watch tonight, lol.

Ad_Astra_-_film_poster.jpg

If you haven't seen Ad Astra, with Brad Pitt, it might be worth a look some time. It is quite slow-moving at times. And the end is a little anticlimactic. So it may not be a buy, except for some of the SF fans. I was rather impressed by some of the visuals in this though, which were somewhat reminiscent of 2001 and some other older Chesley Bonestell inspired space films. And think it could end up bein a keeper for me.

Some of the outer space sequences could make you a bit queasy though, if you're watching it on a larger screen. And the movie is a little bit of an endurance test to watch (especially if you're not a huge Pitt or space fan).

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ad_Astra_-_film_poster.jpg

If you haven't seen Ad Astra, with Brad Pitt, it might be worth a look some time. It is quite slow-moving at times. And the end is a little anticlimactic. So it may not be a buy, except for some of the SF fans. I was rather impressed by some of the visuals in this though, which were somewhat reminiscent of 2001 and some other older Chesley Bonestell inspired space films. And think it could end up bein a keeper for me.

Some of the outer space sequences could make you a bit queasy though, if you're watching it on a larger screen. And the movie is a little bit of an endurance test to watch (especially if you're not a huge Pitt or space fan).
I have not, but want to.
Tonight I ended up watching The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly instead, another one of my all time favorite movies, with my favorite character of all time, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez.

1628475607475.png

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Saw this in the theater back in 1985, from my avatar you can guess I am a fan, lol.
Not for the faint of heart, about as hardcore as you can get with violence and gore.
1628475830388.png

iMickey503

Forum Donor
How come no one Mentioned Dark City? It is and will always be on my top 10.
1628469278481.png

Not only does it have a rock star cast, but the cinematography is Simply Amazing.
Not until this year did I get this part
The movie is just mesmerizing. And the song sway Jennifer connelly "sings" just tops it.
1628469859577.png

A nice write up about the look of the film. Ebert and siskel did a thing for it too.

==========================
Number 2 top movie you HAVE TO OWN?
DONNIE DARKO!
51VJ0GWFN8L.jpg

There is no better way to explain it. But if you don't know how to suck a Phuck, then Jake will tell you. Both maggie and jake are in this movie. You may not get it. But its one of the best movies ever made. No one seemed to get it.
But it was a thing man. You had to be there. Some say, that Chut up is still out there...

===========================
Best MOVIE of ALL time I don't care what you say, and the sound? AMAZING.
SOLARIS!
If there was ONE film I had to take with me to an island, THIS would be it.
It is a film that is beyond inception. The whole thing seems new every time I watch it.
The music, the sound, everything. Its like a blanket you wrap around you.
TqiOTs4c5DQi8A-dHvd6k--W0wsSjm7-h8y1jkeCNO2nRG-VzosCsqRdRkqhzYc_WUeRyATE5Ekpj1aHPBh2MjMYTHd4h6Dz_v7YhSyyV-WgOb9C1HHGu4AWXdG9aw

The Asian version of this movie art gets it best.
5ankWapolP9rys4Y-LiOr9ljjTq-FfTUuAFbunFx4F9IAV2CW8_YpydTkVYr6Ureur4WFj9pieNasovEdCgO68i67fNjBykAMP-CMkLz

If there is ONE movie you must see, Take your time. Get your system up to TOP performance. Set the lights perfect. And don't bother watching it with others. Just take it in. Slowly. This movie is not made for cheap thrills. Each frame is a stroke of art. The lush sound it has is simply a symphony. Own it.

The Unsung Hero in this movie was the engineer. Viola Davis. Still to this day, I have YET to see a female with acting chops so good, you forget about everything and anything else. Davis NAILED IT!. She poured the fondation and the concrete and made a Skyscraper.
LDf-3WdQzt2yos93BTUJfv8P-B7JgzaGOeq7QlFsd_vjId7P-NS_GAGtXgnd544USNFGCzHAEI6ZYcMoUBrwspL45QTW8QbMKoR5MvI2GkkzQ6AWR1C0jTZm7P4Hstf7MS8Pu47b1KIW0IlTwcvIuZYR9hYG_ltLx05-zSuHqH_l

No other person in this movie could do what she did. Those are the facts.
SHE was so convincing, when I looked her up, My jaw dropped. Is this REALLY the SAME person? No way!
Who the hell is this happy imposter!
nov-19-2002-hollywood-california-usa-viola-davissolaris-premierearclight-DN6G43.jpg

Its like 2 different people.
Look the film up. Have everything set up just right. You will see what I mean.

The russian version, is nice. But I don't get it. This american adaptation just hits it perfect.
Of all the films I have ever watched, this one touched me more than any other.

=========================
MV5BMmE2ZjYwNGYtYWMyMS00M2I0LWI4NDEtMzc1MTllMjk0ZmFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,0,190,281_.jpg

The narrator where she says" Why yes these pants ARE lycra" and the audio that just immerses you .
And of course, the Flowers scene.
45993-1583401944.jpg

=======================

81I2TThXr3L._SY445_.jpg

THE EXTRAS with the sound engineer was DROP DEAD WORTH EVERY PENNY!
I never saw the O,G. version, but this was amazing. First movie that made me upgrade to 5.1
The movie was fun to watch. I have to admit, I liked the extra's better then the movie. But the Visuals and the sound made it all worth it.

========================

220px-Logans_run_movie_poster.jpg

If you like Miniatures and old skool sets, this is it. Its cheesy to some. But I like Velveta movies.
Hidden is meaning behind the pizza. Its makes you think after you see it. Weird movie. Great effects.
How they made it is really what I like. And the look.

========================

I did not see this till MUCH later in life. Still love the Fighter turning around and shooting all those lasers.
Starfighter.jpg

Yea, its cheesy, but its what it did to your imagination.

====================

The movie that made me upgrade my speakers and TV.
p27945_p_v8_au.jpg

Audio, visual masterpiece. Great story as well.

==========================

They Live. Local Hero Roddy ROddy Piper is in it. And it is now apart of memeatic culture.
they-live.jpg

===========================

This was the dry clean dirty truth aesthetic of movie making that made life clean but dirty.
51K2WVH130L.jpg

It has such a feel of the time. Now? Its like this is what people are now. Numb. Spooky really.

==============================

Only MJ FOX could pull a PG 13 with what was in this movie.
Scary CRAZY Killer dude. (Fave actor of crazy people) with so much going on its amazing.
Frighteners_ver1.jpg

Hard to think this movie could be in some places a FAMILY MOVIE.. But hey, Magic.

==================================

INCEPTION! The movie that made you watch it twice just to get it. And then again, just to see all the hidden stuff
15_5_Inception1.jpg

Replay value off the charts. So is the extra's

Other Movies so not to hog the space:

PITCH Black.
Oblivion. And SUsan Sandorf. And the soundtrack.

Labyrinth with David Bowie. He did not remember making the film. :)

BLADE the Vampire so BAD ASS, he made all the rest look like Fairies.

Interview at Big Gay All's WEIRD Vampire house. (Again, compared to Blade, Nothing competes/ Great G&R song)

The Dark Crystal Hell, Anything by Jim Henson.

iRobot

The O.G. Lawnmower man.

Carrii. Both the OG and the new one. Scarry shit.

Fight Club. Nuff said. Kind of a meme now.

VideoDrome.

Judge Dredd.

The Fifth element. (Already posted I think i saw)

Space Balls. (John Candy was a legend)

The Shining. (Don't watch if your mental man. Its some Hard core Crazy juice)

The DEvil's advocte

The OG Transformers Movie ( ending scene. Man.. )

The Goonies.

John Wick

Fast ans the furious. The first one is the BEST one.

City of EMBER. Amazing flick.

==============================

Not really movies, but series.

Top must own.
It will make you happy when you are sad. Even give you an new outlook on life.
EUREKA!!

Battle star Galactica. (All of them) including Caprica)
LEXX (Kind of makes you sick realizing the truth)
WEST WORLD NEW HBO Series (When its done, buy the whole thing. MAN... EPIC )
HUMANS (Both swede and brit versions-Either is unfinished both times)
Forever Knight (Its the 80's in Canada man. Dig it. )
FireFly (dude, you are going to dig it)

Many more. But I think this covers a bulk must own titles.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When my Oppo players finally die, I will keep this site in mind. How difficult is it to install? The Oppos were easy, my newer model didn't even have to be opened, was an external mod.
I think Rattlebyte posts installation instructions for various models, and difficulty really does vary from model to model. My little Sony 4K unit was a little bit tricky, seem to recall a couple of wires that need to be soldered to small and closely-spaced pads, and I wound up using liquid flux for the job. I managed with a ancient Weller soldering station, but it would have been lots easier with my fancy new Hakko.

ozric

This one is worth watching for the laughs. I love unintentionally funny horror movies.
tingler.jpg

Reactions: ADU

ADU

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom