• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Huge number of DVDs were sold when we moved from VHS to DVD. But as my partner who is credited for being the father of DVD says, most people didn't want to own DVDs. It was a way to rent a movie but not have to return it.

That effect is in full force now with on-demand services cutting into movie purchases.

Still, I think there are movies that are worth owning. These are the ones you like to watch again and again and/or because of increased fidelity if you buy them on disc.

So what do you think is worth buying both from catalog and new releases?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The movie I like to recommend is The Shawshank Redemption. I can recite every line in the movie but still don't get tired of it.

519NBNHX5BL.jpg

And this is one of those lines:

shawshank-redemption.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Green Mile is another one of my top recommendation. There are a half a dozen scenes that I could watch 'till I die and still not get tired of them.

51p7OZSUgOL.jpg

The late Michael Duncan does fantastic here as to every other person in the cast. Note that the free TV versions are very much edited and don't do justice to the original.

Great story of hope, sorrow, and justice. Highly, highly recommended.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Original Matrix is another must own movie for obvious reasons. I am actually not as much of the fan of the later ones. But when I went looking for movie box art, I could only find combos so might as well get them all:

91w0H6vYAbL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you have ever moved, every bit of this hilarious comedy, The Funny Farm will resonate with you. It is probably the top 2-3 movies from Chevy Chase. My wife and I never get tired of watching it again and again:

91tANtsmgEL._SX342_.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm with you on The Matrix. I don't need to own the rest of the trilogy. I do own this trilogy though:

p19c7ebf8va58mc51mdqteg14453.jpg

This one's just a unique romantic comedy. No need for blu ray, even. But I'll watch it a couple of times a year for life:

High_Fidelity_poster.jpg

Another one that here for the story. It'd still be great on VHS:

latest

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Top Bottom