• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS50 Meta NFS Measurements from Wakrwyn

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Featured in AudioXpress. I don’t want to post all the measurements here without their permission so here is the link and the SPIN:
https://audioxpress.com/article/fresh-from-the-bench-kef-ls50-meta-the-measurements

5099EC01-64C3-4F80-8980-067D81B11FC9.png

note: the scale is not quite 50dB. Looks closer to 48dB.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a BBC dip in there.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also impressive how the Neumann KH 120 A (edit: KH 80 DSP as per explanation below) is more linear, has more bass extension, with built in amplifier costing roughly the same price per pair.

20210630203427_Figure6-KEFLS50Meta-Measurements.png

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which speaker has more dynamic range, Neumann or KEF?

gsp1971

Forum Donor
I have these on my shortlist along with the Revel M16.
The 3dB increase in the treble is still there, as with the original LS50.
Can't wait for Amir to test them and listen to them, as he found the original LS50 somewhat unexciting.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which speaker has more dynamic range, Neumann or KEF?

we can't tell without distortion measurments of the KEF. but the KH120 can get stupendiously loud for its size, 100dBSPL above 100Hz under 1% THD, like the new low distortion Purifi woofer.

headshake

+1 for the presentation. I like the color choices and image sizes. (does anyone pick colors for the color blind? https://davidmathlogic.com/colorblind/##D81B60-#1E88E5-#FFC107-#004D40)

hardisj drops the most graphs, amir second, and audioxpress is like the cliffsnotes version. It is neat to see how folks present things.

(Thanks to you all for the work you do!!!)

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks like a BBC dip in there.

It is rather odd that KEF has that dip in the 1-4k range on so many of their speakers. It isn't widely advertised but I've heard they test many designs with blind listening panels similar to Harman so maybe they're onto something but I can't help but wonder why they don't just shoot for the typical neutral design. Maybe @jackocleebrown has some insight into this seemingly designed dip?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is rather odd that KEF has that dip in the 1-4k range on so many of their speakers. It isn't widely advertised but I've heard they test many designs with blind listening panels similar to Harman so maybe they're onto something but I can't help but wonder why they don't just shoot for the typical neutral design. Maybe @jackocleebrown has some insight into this seemingly designed dip?

On the original LS50 it's a bump rather than a dip. I EQ mine flat. Previously I tried putting in a dip, but didn't seem to notice any improvement.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Female vocals dominate that region, it's really the only region imo that is up to personal preference honestly, some like female vocals to stand out (resonances) and some like it neutral or a little laid back.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also impressive how the Neumann KH 120 A is more linear, has more bass extension, with built in amplifier costing roughly the same price per pair.

View attachment 138481
Sure, but there are magnitudes less people willing to have those in their living room.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is rather odd that KEF has that dip in the 1-4k range on so many of their speakers.
The dip is not great to see, but in regarding the upper treble shelf you can see that in the Early Reflections and Sound Power graphs that the response is more linear (though I think they could have eased it just a tad); but that does mean it may be bright sounding for near-field use.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Female vocals dominate that region, it's really the only region imo that is up to personal preference honestly, some like female vocals to stand out (resonances) and some like it neutral or a little laid back.

My experience is a peak around 750 hz can make female voices sound harsh.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On the original LS50 it's a bump rather than a dip. I EQ mine flat. Previously I tried putting in a dip, but didn't seem to notice any improvement.

Same here, that's partly why I question the dip in the R series speakers and the meta. It seems the reference is a smooth response but slightly downward sloping, makes me wonder if these are methods of making them sound less bright since the coaxial response is even in all directions.

That could be it, although I find through EQ I prefer a neutral response. The R3 are great speakers but without EQ I find them a bit boring sounding with that 1-4k dip which is partly why I made the comment. EQ'ing the original LS50 and the R3 to be flat on-axis (15 degrees off-axis to me) sounds about perfect to my ears.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I question their bass accuracy, you can see that even at 20Hz the ER & SP graphs are separate from the ON & LW, so not omni, which just isn’t true.

_____
The Meta seems much improved, I thought it was mainly a crossover change, but even the directivity index curves in the treble are better.

Amir’s data:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-bookshelf-speaker-review.11144/

That is the ports-closed response, and that that is not uncommon among sealed/front ported speakers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir has measured a decent amount of both, I don’t recall seeing such.

To be honest I notice it on some speakers from time to time on both Erin and Amir's measurements.

CEA2034%20%20--%20%20Kali%20IN-8%202nd%20Wave.png

index.php

I stopped expecting absolute accuracy since the Neumann KH80 fiasco. even though it is possible to get absolutely accurate spins with the Klippel, I'm also aware that this is a hobby for these two gentlemen and they will stop fiddling with it once it's 'good enough' or once they lost interest.

So many floor standers that Amir measured have wonky bass response as well (forgot why but he adjusted for it recently) and their olive scores were quite impacted.

Top Bottom